Are live albums compilations?Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Touring Mars
  • 9 comments
  • 1,598 views

Are live albums compilations?


  • Total voters
    16
  • Poll closed .

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Staff Emeritus
Messages
31,336
Scotland
Edinburgh
Messages
GTP_Mars
Simple question... would you classify a live album as a compilation? Half of me thinks yes, if it contains songs from various albums by the same artist, then it is a compilation of songs, just like a 'Best Of' album. The other half says no, if the songs are recorded on the same night (or even the same tour) then the album is a document of what the band was doing at the time, and hence it's not a compilation album, but a stand-alone piece of work.

Have your say in the poll :)
 
I'd lean more towards live albums being compilations. But it depends really on the band though. Some bands make their live shows and the song played in them very different to their studio albums. Others play their live sets very much like their studio ones.
 
I've voted no as it's the performance from one night (or tour) so is unique...saying that if it was Oasis it wouldn't be unique for the reason Dan has made. (i.e. it's the same as the studio recording)
 
Yes, I would say so :)
 
I would have to say no. Sure, a band may play different songs from different points in their career, but it's not the same as a compilation. Compilations or Greatest Hits albums are just a bunch of singles thrown together. When a band does a live album, it's songs from all over the roster, not just the singles. And on a greatest hits album, all the songs are taken from the original album recordings. But on a live album, the songs are played live, and sometimes even slightly differently from the album versions
 
If it's an album of a live show, then it's not a compilation, but if it's an album of live songs taken from different live shows, then it is a compilation.
 
Yes; if the material has been previously released then I'd call it a 'live' compilation album. If the Album consisted of previously unreleased material in a 'live' format then no, it's a 'live' album. There are examples of this,...I'm sure. :boggled:

Can I vote 'sometimes'?
 
No - based on a number of factors.

  1. Live versions of tracks are often (sometimes very) different to studio tracks
  2. Mistakes are 'removed' by the engineer on studio albums, but mainly remain on live albums
  3. Often covers or totally unique tracks make live sets

The last one of these is best illustrated by Jackson Browne's 'Running on Empty'

album-running-on-empty-cd-dvd-audio.jpg


Every track on the album (which was recorded live - onstage, in hotel rooms and one track on the tour bus) is unique to the album, not appearing on any studio release of his.


Regards

Scaff
 
What Daan said.
 
if it's an album of live songs taken from different live shows, then it is a compilation.

What he said. 👍

From what I know and of heard of the music industry,artists managers will sometimes urge the group to do a live album / cd. They say it's supposed to be good for them.People have this sensation of wanting to hear what a particular song sounds like as a live version (I know I do).So the managers post up a tour,sends the group out on the road,records all the music,reviews what songs may have been performed better than others,compiles a list and presto,you have a "Live CD" that was compiled from various show dates on the given tour.
 
Back