Are pedals a necessity for the wheel to be recognized?

United States
United States
I haven't played any racing games or sims in a LONG time. I bought my first wheel, a G27, almost a decade ago for a PlayStation 3 with Gran Turismo 5. I bought it when I got back from a hospital stay to replace a hip, the other leg is trashed also. I have MS, and now it's gotten worse and I can't press the accelerator or brake. I bought it to try to rehab myself because I've always loved driving. I didn't realize how low to the ground the PlaySeat was. So I did maybe three races and then packed it all in storage. I bought an Oculus rift along the way and saw that they had a racing SIM for VR. That got me interested again but I didn't do anything about it. Last week I bought a PS5 and coincidentally was in my storage unit and saw the g27.

So I have a g27, A PS5, and a relatively older computer but was very, very good when I built it. It was built for professional graphic work including animation and things. It has 64 GB of RAM and an m.2 drive, that sort of stuff so it is still better than anything thats not custom. These aren't pertinent to my question, but I'm just saying that I would like to use this more often and get into it if my questions could work so here they are:

When I got the wheel, the petals, and the stick shift out of storage the seat was not with it, no big deal, but the wires from the pedals to the wheel we're completely chewed in half and somehow the cable with the connector was thrown away so it is just the petals with 3/4 of an inch of wiring coming out. I am wondering if any of the games/sims can be played with just the wheel? I know that you can buy replacement cables and that I could also build my own, but I can't use the pedals either way so I would rather not have them. This would require remapping the paddle shifters to be the accelerator and brake and then running everything as an automatic. So far I have only done anything on the PS5. One game seemed to recognize it but it would not let me steer with it and it certainly had no place to remap the paddle shifters. I know that there should be more controls on my PC but it would take some work to get to. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I just got a new cable but it's a waste of money if it can work without it. Does anybody know? I know there would be no reason for anyone to try that if they have legs.

I don't really know where to post this. I posted it here because I have this game. If I need to move this thread somewhere, could someone please tell me a better place for it. Any help on that and/or the questions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

-jw

Last edited:
Back