Are setups relevant without lap times?

England
Woodbridge, UK
Exactly as the title says really? I might have a setup for Suzuka 600pp which is good for a free run time of 2:21 for example but another person might be beating those times on stock settings so he/she may be wasting their time trying the settings i have come up with....?

If i posted a setup and said i can do 2:15's all day long then if you try my setup and cant do those times you will know it is your driving not the car.

I just think a setup would be of much more value if lap times were posted at the same time.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I agree, and thought about saying it aloud but now you have done it for me.. :) ..but there is of course more to that than just the times. The feel, enjoyment, control, etc... Holden will name more (;)) ..but as in football (soccer, I mean) the goals make the difference, in here it's the laptimes.

My theory is also that people's personal settings vary wether they use a Steering Wheel or the Sixaxis.

And when I host an online race I feel that my car handles like its on rails and is much quicker compared to when I join a race hosted by someone else.

Personally, I tune strictly for online use and laptimes in free run don't mean squat in online races. You may be able to do 2:15 all day in free run while you get sent to the sand traps all day long in online races because the car doesn't handle well when you're not driving the perfect line or it stabs you in the back if you get punted (intentional or not) or make a small error.

So I guess it would depend on what kind of car you are looking for: if you're looking for the fastest free run, then yes: you need the laptimes. If you're looking for a car that will help you online you need more than just plain speed.

Add to that: my laptimes will not help you, as I'm not the worlds greatest driver. ;)

... laptimes in free run don't mean squat in online races. You may be able to do 2:15 all day in free run while you get sent to the sand traps all day long in online races because the car doesn't handle well when you're not driving the perfect line or it stabs you in the back if you get punted (intentional or not) or make a small error.

Sorry, but I think that's BS... A car and driver that can run 2'17's consistently at Suzuka in free run (never mind 2'15's) will clean up on-line aganist everyone except the very fastest racers.

The fact that it will run consistently defines that it will be good in a race as there are very few drivers who can pull perfect lines lap after lap even when under little pressure in free run.

The people who are fastest in free run will almost always be fastest on-line.

Sorry, but I think that's BS... A car and driver that can run 2'17's consistently at Suzuka in free run (never mind 2'15's) will clean up on-line aganist everyone except the very fastest racers.
You obviously missed the point completely. Maybe I wasn't clear enough but we're not talking driver skill here, we're talking about car setups (see the opening post and topic title). Ofcourse a good driver will kick butt both in online and free run, nobody will argue about that. 👍

But a setup that is good for free run is not necessarily a good setup for online and vice versa. For a free run you can get away with much more unforgiving settings as you know there will not be any other drivers doing unexpected things and you also know there is no rubberbanding (which affects the performance of your car). E.g. for a free run there is no need to account for drafting when you decide on the maximum speed for a car on a certain track while there is for online races.

That's exactly why all the tuners test their ride in free run first and then take it online to see if it needs tweaking. If free run and online would be equal that wouldn't be necessary. :)

The question that Rowdy Burns is asking is if setups are relevant without lap times. I say they are. But I do think free run laptimes have value. If driver A can drive car X at 2:15 and car Y at 2:17, car X is faster, no doubt about that. But there is no guarantee it will be the same in an online situation.

Exactly as the title says really? I might have a setup for Suzuka 600pp which is good for a free run time of 2:21 for example but another person might be beating those times on stock settings so he/she may be wasting their time trying the settings i have come up with....?

If i posted a setup and said i can do 2:15's all day long then if you try my setup and cant do those times you will know it is your driving not the car.

I just think a setup would be of much more value if lap times were posted at the same time.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I agree, and thought about saying it aloud but now you have done it for me.. :) ..but there is of course more to that than just the times. The feel, enjoyment, control, etc... Holden will name more (;)) ..but as in football (soccer, I mean) the goals make the difference, in here it's the laptimes.

Totally agree with you both.. the proof in the pudding is in lap times, however driveability of a car is another big factor in a good tune. Having a car not so twitchy under brakes, stable through corners and predicable on the throttle... all of this "should" translate into a quicker lap time, but that really depends on the driver.

However a laptime by itself still doesnt give a great indication of improvement the tune has made.
To prove this point, just look at the Tuners challenge and the differing times that the drivers on the same team are producing.
I know as a driver I am normally a few seconds slower than one of the fast drivers in one of my cars... so me posting my time for a tune is not really indicative of the cars potential... again case in point is my GT LM Spec II which has been punted around Suzuka in under 2:00.. but not by me.

I have been thinking of adding a tune index for each of the cars I have tuned which is essentially an index of the performance increase I could achieve with a tune over standard..
Something like (Standard Laptime)-(Tuned laptime) expressed as a percentage increase.
If I can pull a 2:28 in the standard F430 at suzuka and a 2:19 in my Tuned F430 then this would be a 6% improvement, thus a Tune Index (TI) = 6

While this still doesnt relate to racing v free run, it does give a better indication of the improvement this tune made over the standard car... whats your thoughts ?

I know as a driver I am normally a few seconds slower than one of the fast drivers in one of my cars... so me posting my time for a tune is not really indicative of the cars potential... again case in point is my GT LM Spec II which has been punted around Suzuka in under 2:00.. but not by me.
Same here. :) Posting my laptimes will not benefit anyone. :P :D

While this still doesnt relate to racing v free run, it does give a better indication of the improvement this tune made over the standard car... whats your thoughts ?
Now that's a nice idea. 👍 I usually switch back and forth between my tune and the standard one when testing anyway to check if I'm really improving the car or just learning to drive better. ;) So I think it's data any tuner could come up with quite easily.

What I do hope for is that the rubberband/catchup mode can be taken out at some point in time. Then we could have some relevant online laptimes posted along with the setups. 👍

If I can pull a 2:28 in the standard F430 at suzuka and a 2:19 in my Tuned F430 then this would be a 6% improvement, thus a Tune Index (TI) = 6

What an Brilliant idea!!!!! ..now please, tuners, USE IT!! :)

I must agree, Tune Index is a great idea and will probably even use it to evaluate my own personal tunes.

Wow.. consider it done then ;)

Ok just did a few tests on some cars and so we all end up with the same formula here it is:
Using Z06 At Fuji as example: (2 laps in each tune)
Convert the Min to seconds..
Base tune 1:57.369 becomes 117.369
Tuned Time 155.753 becomes 115.753

117.369 - 115.753 = 1.616
1.616/117.369=0.0138
0.0138x100 to get it as percentage:
TI=1.38

This ok for everyone ??

👍

again, that was a great idea, I will use it from now on.

edit: forget it.. irrelevant... :)

edit2: this post still applies.. 👍

Well I'm impressed!! This is a really good idea. Cheers people. Now how do we go about getting every tuner to do it!?!?!?

BTW the times i put in my first post were purely examples.

Well I'm impressed!! This is a really good idea. Cheers people. Now how do we go about getting every tuner to do it!?!?!?

BTW the times i put in my first post were purely examples.

:) For any new car being tuned its really no big deal as Im sure all the tuners here test their car against a base tune... it may take a while to go back and add an Index for tunes already done and published especially for NFHS who has a stack of them :)

One thing I cant be sure of is that they will read this thread so all we need to do is ask them if they would be willing to include it with their tunes. :)

Id be interested to see if people get a similar sort of index between a stock and a published tune just to see if there is some form of accuracy in this as a measure.

Regs,
888 Tuning

I'm sure there will be differences. ;) But I think it will be more useful than laptimes. We could call it the 888-index. :P :D

At the end of the day, I think it's up to the tuners to quantify their lap times NOT against the standard car, but against other tunes of the same class that they've done.

Ideally, a tuner should run their car in free run mode for a period of laps, non stop to work out an average speed of the car over that distance. They should then post the FREE RUN LAP AVERAGE and then post the FREE RUN FASTEST LAP.

Now those times alone are nothing to go by if you don't have other times to benchmark them against and seeing as online and free run cannot be compared, the tuner should also benchmark these average and fastest lap times against OTHER tunes that they've done.

Example:

LEXUS IS-F
Average Lap Time: 2'22.579
Fastest Lap Time: 2'20.998

BMW M3 V8 Coupe
Average Lap Time: 2'23.014
Fastest Lap Time: 2'20.755

The above is an example of how one tune relates to another (in the SAME environment), so you could take one look at that and say the BMW is a faster car when it's on the very edge, but on average, it's a harder and slower car to drive than the Lexus.

As tuners add tunes to their garage, their collated data begins to grow and racers can get an idea of what one car is capable of versus another.

At the moment, there's too many generic statements about how fast a car is. I want to know if you've done the backup running. the problem then is, tuners then fudge the figures to either make themselves look like they were on the ragged edge of testing or to boost the popularity of their tune versus other garages.

At the end of the day, I think it's up to the tuners to quantify their lap times NOT against the standard car, but against other tunes of the same class that they've done.

Ideally, a tuner should run their car in free run mode for a period of laps, non stop to work out an average speed of the car over that distance. They should then post the FREE RUN LAP AVERAGE and then post the FREE RUN FASTEST LAP.

Now those times alone are nothing to go by if you don't have other times to benchmark them against and seeing as online and free run cannot be compared, the tuner should also benchmark these average and fastest lap times against OTHER tunes that they've done.

Example:

LEXUS IS-F
Average Lap Time: 2'22.579
Fastest Lap Time: 2'20.998

BMW M3 V8 Coupe
Average Lap Time: 2'23.014
Fastest Lap Time: 2'20.755

The above is an example of how one tune relates to another (in the SAME environment), so you could take one look at that and say the BMW is a faster car when it's on the very edge, but on average, it's a harder and slower car to drive than the Lexus.

As tuners add tunes to their garage, their collated data begins to grow and racers can get an idea of what one car is capable of versus another.

At the moment, there's too many generic statements about how fast a car is. I want to know if you've done the backup running. the problem then is, tuners then fudge the figures to either make themselves look like they were on the ragged edge of testing or to boost the popularity of their tune versus other garages.

Disagree with a fair chunk of your post mate, I do this as a free service to people, not to sell a product and make money from it and I also have a real job.

If your going to accuse the tuners here of fudging figures then:
a) Dont come to my garage asking for a tune
b) You are casting real doubt over the ability of the garages to have any credability and integrity for what they do.
I have yet to see any indication of this so not sure why you would even raise this.

What we are trying to achieve here, is a measure of the improvement a tune has made.. straight forward and simple. Theoretically this value should hold true for a wide cross section of drivers who take this car and test it against a base tune. That measure of gain we are talking about here is your proof gain. However if you are willing to accept we fudge figures, then there is nothing we can put in print that would hold any value right ? I cant be assed taking photos of everything I do so you as a driver have 3 choices:
a) Dont use my tune
b) Trust the feedback and reviews left by other people
c) Take a tune and make your own decision

My job is to take a car and improve it... thats all. Im not here to compare cars and tunes against each other, thats your job as the driver if thats the data you want, so please be my guest and take these cars out and do those tests and let us all know the results. Id be interested to see how you go, but what I think we will see is that some cars will suit some peoples driving styles moreso than others, and some cars will always be faster than others.

Whilst I have some tunes that are published, the majority of the work I have done here has been tailored to individual needs where I will happily work with someone on a tune and problem they have with a car to get a setup that suits their driving style. You cant measure that and I dont publish those tunes because people want this setup to help get an advantage when racing.

Look forward to seeing your results.

I for one agree with 888 there's no reason to doubt the times posted by the tuners, and think that even if they're willing to post a Tune Index is quite nice of them to actually ask for some more things as they're already providing a service for free, I mean for all they care they could keep the tunes to themselves and they couldn't be bothered so I think is a little asking too much.

On a side note I think you just disrespected every tuner in this forum by saying that they could fudge their numbers, as 888 said there's mp reason to raise this kind of accusations and at least from what I've seen in this forums every tuner is a totally respectable person and trust them when they say something because after all the success of a garage is greatly measured in the rep of the tuner and the garage itself so lying would just mess up that cred wich they work hard for.

Why on earth would I forge laptimes? My tuning philosophy is not about the fastest laptimes anyway, I tune for stability and accessibility. :) Besides that, 888 and I already stated we're not top drivers, so our laptimes are not very useful anyway. I usually ask some top drivers to test a ride for me.

I think he was trying to say, not so much that you guys would lie about your lap times, but rather...exaggerate them slightly. Like maybe you ran a 2'01.582 but then you remember you sorta stuck a tire off back there in turn 6, so maybe you post that you ran a 2'00.991 instead.

Again, doesn't really make sense to lie about lap times, people will test them out and report back if they're good or not.

I think he was trying to say, not so much that you guys would lie about your lap times, but rather...exaggerate them slightly. Like maybe you ran a 2'01.582 but then you remember you sorta stuck a tire off back there in turn 6, so maybe you post that you ran a 2'00.991 instead.
Exaggerating, lying, it's the same to me. The fact that someone would suggest that tuners would do that says more about that person than about the tuners, really. 👎
As a matter of fact, I have never even posted a laptime (because of reasons stated earlier) and I have no intention of posting them in the future. I do encourage other people to post them and guess what? I totally trust that the times posted by other people here are accurate, no screenshots or other proof needed. There is no reason whatsoever to doubt the times being posted, now and in the future.

I think the best thing in that index thing is that it really doesn't matter if you're good, fast, slow, turtle-like (tamed or not)... but it just shows you the difference (gain/loss) that one person has made with this tune. That is just a fact, that everyone can make their own conclusions if it's correct or not. I would most certainly take it as it is.. If the tuner has improved his laptime, it's possible for me too. The time itself is irrelevant, it's the index that matters.

:)

I think time is irrelevant, different cars suit different drivers as do tunes, someone might gain time on a set up which another person loses time with.

I for one do not use times in my personal tunes, rather I have my own 20 point system on how well the car handles. 1 for bad, 20 for good. I believe a hard to handle fast car will loose to a easy to handle medium car on the long run every time, heck look at this years 24h of le mans, the puegots were way faster, but they had problems all night long letting the R10 win. I use this because just like someone said here, you don't always have the prefered line open for you all the time and you might have to pull a superman sometimes, which is a bit easier to do if you know your car can take the abuse and not go over the edge.

Back