Are some Grp cars better than others? No detune?

• Thread starter ArchangelX
  • 25 comments
United States
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm having a hard time getting a decent qualifying time on the Dragontail track for Sport mode...lowest I can get is a 1.52 something with a Porsche GT4. However, I see others busting out qual times of 1.50...even 1.49. I've been really practicing the heck out of it and I still can't get a better qual time and in race, those guys walk away on me. Which begs the question, am I just using the wrong vehicle because I'm having to detune it?

I'm using a G27 with a decent setup.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1508821993480.jpg
    FB_IMG_1508821993480.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 49
I'm having a hard time getting a decent qualifying time on the Dragontail track for Sport mode...lowest I can get is a 1.52 something with a Porsche GT4. However, I see others busting out qual times of 1.50...even 1.49. I've been really practicing the heck out of it and I still can't get a better qual time and in race, those guys walk away on me. Which begs the question, am I just using the wrong vehicle because I'm having to detune it?

I'm using a G27 with a decent setup.
Look at the top qualifying times. That will give you a clue as to which car is the best. In Gr.4 it's the 458, GTR and some Vipers from the last time I looked. It will vary on different tracks.

Kicked out a 1:50 lap With the Subaru WRX Gr.4, both in quali and race, seemes like a good car to run on this track. Can do the bus stop chicane flat out.

Edit:

It can do 1:49's, I just ran a quick quali before a race yesterday. It can probably even hit 1:48 if I tune it, but I haven't bothered yet.

I held 1st from start to finish, With about 6-7 second lead over the line.

Last edited:
You guys and your gtrs giving me in my viper heart attacks lol. Good fun though. Best I've hit is a 1:49 in the viper. And have had several wins and podiums. Its a very neutral car imo

I haven't tried all of them but to me the 4C is really cool. balanced, light, probably easier to drive fast than others.

I don't know how much difference there is between Sport Mode and the Driving School in terms of physic, but I got a 1:48.406 in the Mission 48 with the Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport (Dragon Trail - Litorale), Racing Hard tyre compound, TCS 2 and then default fixed setup, with the reduced speed at start we got compared to a regular lap, because of how the mission start work. Video on the photo/video thread.

So am I safe to get the Alfa as my manufacturer to use on competitions?

I do love these threads "OMFG, people out there are faster than me, which car do I need to drive to go faster?!"

Not casting aspersions, but perhaps you aren't the fastest driver on the planet...?

Well...since switching to the GTR my lap times have dropped to 1:47.310 in Time Trial and around 1:49 detuned so perhaps I was being legitimate. You don't have to be insulting to help.

Well...since switching to the GTR my lap times have dropped to 1:47.310 in Time Trial and around 1:49 detuned so perhaps I was being legitimate. You don't have to be insulting to help.

Exactly.

There is a reason why the fastest times on Suzuka were all set in Alfa 4Cs. Some cars are better suited to certain circuits than others. This is true even in F1.

I do love these threads "OMFG, people out there are faster than me, which car do I need to drive to go faster?!"

Not casting aspersions, but perhaps you aren't the fastest driver on the planet...?

That's not rocket science to understand that the cars have different behaviors and some would suit more some tracks profiles than others, is it? When you look for a few tenths here and there on a lap, it's something worth looking.

I'm not saying it is rocket science, and I'm not trying to insult anyone - but the opening post literally asks why they can't hit a certain time.

The cars aren't equal on various tracks, no, but neither are the drivers.

guys did you notice that,since there are 3 new tracks in sport mode, certain car settings are available?
suspension, transmission, downforce...

I’m no Hamilton, it from driving a lot of gr4 and gr3 cars in arcade mode I’m finding they have different characteristics but they are all pretty evenly matched.

I haven’t done any suspensions tunes only power and weight, one or two cars do have a slight edge on certain curcuits but not much.

I haven’t tried them all yet so at W there are a few that do stand above the rest.

The only area I have found there to be a significant difference is group 1 and the Mazda is way quicker than the others I’ve tried IE R18, the McLaren and the Bugatti so far.

If you know how to tune, any of the cars can hit 1:48.x or below. I’ve seen even the Mazda Altenza at 1:46 haha. I’m sitting at 1:48.3 with my GTR. Probably can break :47 if I can figure out the last turn.

If you know how to tune, any of the cars can hit 1:48.x or below. I’ve seen even the Mazda Altenza at 1:46 haha. I’m sitting at 1:48.3 with my GTR. Probably can break :47 if I can figure out the last turn.

I pretty much never tune. Can you offer some advice on what to tune and how?

Well, after playing online pretty much for the past 6 hours...it's obvious that a good tune will help to separate yourself from the pack. There's obviously always going to be ways to improve your lines thanks to constant experimentation but man...a proper tune does wonders. I have always been the type that didn't get too deep into tuning. I have never played online in previous GTs. I'm just a time attack guy who ran mostly stock setups but online changes things. It's a must.

I can get the Cayman into the 1:49s quite easily, I don’t consider myself the fastest driver - in most racing games I’m around 2-3 seconds off the aliens. I think it’s just a mix of some cars being suited to certain tracks and being lumped into races with faster drivers which skews your perception a little. Tuning can help a decent amount too.

With the Cayman, I did some minor adjustments to the anti-roll bar, braking LSD, toe, camber and a tiny bit extra rear wing which seemed to help. I’m no setup expert, in fact, I’m surprised my changes haven’t backfired on me like they usually do! :lol:

Edit: with all that said though and as even as it may be, I do think 4WD should be banned as in most real life racing, it does pose an advantage for sure, maybe not always in outright speed but it does certainly aid in stability and acceleration.

Last edited:
I pretty much never tune. Can you offer some advice on what to tune and how?

I'm not a setup expert either. To be able to make a complete car setup yourself you need long time and patience and experience. The simplest way is to search for a complete setup and apply. You need try several setups and find one which fits best to your driving style and your hardware configuration
( you are using a steering wheel or a controller) The game is still too new so there are not many shared settings yet.

What the person above said - No one tune is perfect for everyone, since everyone drives differently and takes slightly different lines, different braking points, early on the gas etc. etc.

Experiment. IIRC the settings menu explains each setting to you and how it will impact the car, so do some learning - you'll be better for it in the long run.

That's right: everyone drives diffferently. Experimenting is also an important part of tuning. But everyone can get huge help by using a tested base setup if it's possible to find.

Back