Are there anymore diesels?

  • Thread starter Thread starter opendriver
  • 54 comments
  • 2,893 views
GT4_Rule
Diesels...hmm, they aren't that bad, seems like.
Very much so. I got a ride in a new VW Passat a few months back, and the engine was ever so refined, and the Chrysler 300 diesel refined, smooth AND powerful. You wouldn't know it was a diesel unless you are listening from idle. They are certainly not like what they were 10 years ago: smelly, noisy, rattly and unpowerful.
 
GT4_Rule
They're hated here for the diesel fuels back in the '70s and the '80s - and the notorious Oldsmobile 350 gas V8-turned-diesel. Waterly fuel, poor fuel management, and the bad-from-beginning engine is what most Americans remember. Think about it, it's like putting in a half water diesel into your gas engine and expecting it to run properly...
:crazy: Im re-living my childhood past....
 
daan
In real life it was. In GT4, it isn't.

Real life Kusabi
Power 110 bhp / 82 KW @ 4000 rpm
Torque 240 Nm / 177 ft lbs @ 1750 rpm

GT4 Kusabi
Power 147bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque 132 ft lbs @ 3500 rpm

Those aren't figures of a diesel.
I'm pretty sure Mazda actually made two versions of the Kusabi concept, one was indeed a diesel, the other was a pertol engioned model which I'm sure I saw at the British Motorshow the other year.
 
harrytuttle
Back on topic: Wouldn't old Mercedes 300D's be great? They'd last forever, and you can just about get away without changing the oil. ;)

Yes! I used to have an 81 300D, and a 79 240D before that. Their timeless beauty and uniqueness mostly made up for their slowness.
 
and I believe that VW Touareg V10 TDi would be welcome. 313bhp and 750 nm from 5l twinturbodiesel. 0-60 in min/high 7's.. which is not bad for an SUV.
 
Toronado
I find it pretty rediculous that the 120d has no fuel mileage advantage over the 120i, so I usually just use the 120i because it weighs less and handles a little better because of it.
Edit: I know of one more diesel and possibly a second:
Mazda Kusabi (definately) and VW Lupo 1.4 (?)

I agree that the 120i is a better drive but I can't say that it'll get you faster lap times. Around Deep Forest on N3s

BMW 120d: 1'38.188
BMW 120i: 1'39.838

Although yeah, I'd gladly welcome more diesels into this game if the gas mileage is actually improved. I think it would make a difference in pitstop strategy in endurance races. But first they have to fix the tire system in this game.
 
Diesel, deisel, deseal, deisels, diesil... I think the great debate about diesel is how to spell it...:)
 
I believe the in-game Mazda Kusabi has a small displacement supercharged petrol engine but I can't remember exactly how small.. 1.2 litres maybe?
 
opendriver19a
I searched and came up wit threds that were over 2 years old and didnt want to a major thred bumb

When I first saw the BMW 120d I though "hey, I could use this in an enduro race since ts a deisel" well the car makes good enough torque, and I was wondering if there are any more deisels in the game besides this one?

aha it is a deisel just as i thought

GT4_Rule
I agree, I didn't expect that either.

Diesels...hmm, they aren't that bad, seems like.

no they're not i love how quiet my dad's Holdem rodeo ute is
 
lthiele - Please don't double post. I've merged them for you.
 
den brakke
Isn't the Tank Car a diesel? Most military engine's are.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Wikipedia
Leno's custom "Tank Car", a 21-foot-long aluminum-bodied roadster powered by a V-12 engine from an M-47 Patton tank, was featured in the 2005 racing game Gran Turismo 4.
Aren't almost all tank engines diesel-powered? I think it might be a diesel engined car, then.
 
Next step G.T, is searching for M-47 Patton Tank. :lol:

I don't remember if the Tank Car is a diesel or not. Judging by all of the torque I'd be willing to say yes, but then again an engine that huge would probably make a lot more torque than horsepower.
 
Ebiggs
Next step G.T, is searching for M-47 Patton Tank. :lol:
:D

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/m47patton.html
An upgrade program for the M47 was started in the late 1960s and resulted in the M47M. M47M used the engine and fire control system from the 105mm gun tank M60A1. The engine, Continental's AVDS-1790-2A supercharged diesel, had its exhaust vented through rear louvres like on the M60, replacing the M47's fender-mounted mufflers. The transmission used was the CD-850-6A. The assistant driver was eliminated in favor of a 22-round 90mm ammunition rack, and the small track tension idler wheel was deleted as well.
I'm not sure if that's rock solid information, I'm no tank expert at all, but I kept getting similar information elsewhere.
 
Most tanks are diesels, the exception being the M1 Abrams, which is powered by a Gas Turbine.

The US experience with the M4 'Ronson' and its propensity to go up like a lighter at the slightest provocation detered gasoline tank development. The British had few issues with their diesel powered variant.
 
I think I remember the Tank Car having a Continental engine, too. Looks like you found it. Too bad they scrapped the supercharger. It could use more torque.










:lol:
 
I'm not sure, but I think the Tank Car runs on methanol. Doesn't anyone have a copy of that C&D where they drag-raced a tank?

Diesels do have a bad rep in the US, but me, I've seen the worst of the old kind (slow, smoky, noisy, nothing happening above 2500rpm) and some fine examples of the new kind.

The last two diesels I drove could pass 100 mph (160kmh) quite easily, and accelerate as well or better than gas engines of the same displacement. To be fair, yes, they're turbodiesels, but the Hyundai, with its variable geomtery turbine, has no turbo lag at all, and will happily ping off the rev limiter at 4500rpm all day. It feels like it could actually go to 5000+ rpm, but seems limited merely for the sake of longevity.

Of course, with diesels being so heavy, they're not going to corner as well as similar powered gas engines. From what I remember of the 120i and 120d, the 120d has way more straight line grunt (hence, it always gets faster lap times if there are any decent straights on the track), while the 120i feels more crisp and delicate around the corners. I pick the 120i over the 120d as a more exciting drive, personally.
 
The early model M47 tank had a Continental petrol engine.
Then the tank was upgraded to diesel engine later on in a upgrade programe and called the M model.
 
niky
I'm not sure, but I think the Tank Car runs on methanol. Doesn't anyone have a copy of that C&D where they drag-raced a tank?

Diesels do have a bad rep in the US, but me, I've seen the worst of the old kind (slow, smoky, noisy, nothing happening above 2500rpm) and some fine examples of the new kind.

The last two diesels I drove could pass 100 mph (160kmh) quite easily, and accelerate as well or better than gas engines of the same displacement. To be fair, yes, they're turbodiesels, but the Hyundai, with its variable geomtery turbine, has no turbo lag at all, and will happily ping off the rev limiter at 4500rpm all day. It feels like it could actually go to 5000+ rpm, but seems limited merely for the sake of longevity.

Of course, with diesels being so heavy, they're not going to corner as well as similar powered gas engines. From what I remember of the 120i and 120d, the 120d has way more straight line grunt (hence, it always gets faster lap times if there are any decent straights on the track), while the 120i feels more crisp and delicate around the corners. I pick the 120i over the 120d as a more exciting drive, personally.

Just to grab a quick point from above, it's interesting how many members of this forum will argue until they are literally blue in the face that "there's no replacement for displacement", and that Japanese 6-pots require forced induction just to match the power output of a big American V8, but when it comes to diesel(car)s, which effectively need turbocharging just to move there's suddenly nothing wrong with forced induction at all...

Not to stir in any way. Oh no.
 
A modern Turbodiesel is a nice engine to drive. On the road... On the track you have to change gear too much...

You get plenty of lazy power from 2000rpm so you don't have to cane it. Surprised the yanks don't like it really, cos I often think it's a lot like an old tech V8.
 
@Famine: Obviously, I'm not in the displacement club... :lol:

Of course, my one beef with modern direct injection turbodiesels is that they don't have the same instant urge that the old pre-chamber diesels do, where you can just drop the clutch and the thing will lurch off the line. These things actually need revs to get going. Heck, on that Hyundai, my cousin stalled it... twice.

It's not just the track... even on the road you have to change gear a lot more than in anything else, as your powerband is a tiny ribbon 1000 revs wide between 2500 and 3500 rpm. But then, that's part of the fun.
 
FastEddie12
I'm very glad none of the older diesel Vulvas are in the game! Imagine how awful they would be!:yuck:

And how come you're surprised??? Who on earth would want to drive a shagged out ill-handling dog slow old barge like that???

3-Wheel Drive
Well, they can't possibly be worse than the 240GL Estate, aka "the Brick".

And I'm surprised, because a lot of the cars Volvo has made came with a diesel option, and are some of the most common diesel cars on the road. The daily driver aspect would seem to make them prime candidates for GT.



And "Vulvas" aren't cars...

The makers of gran turismo have clearly not driven a volvo 240 before, they havent even managent to get the weigth right. I drive a volvo 240 and its not as soft as in the game and it dosent weight 1800 kg, it weigths 1260 kg. And there are people who have managed to get 500-600 horsepower from an volvo engine, not only 270hp as in the game.

Acually the highest amount of horsepower i know of in the B20 engine, wich was desinged in the 50s are 436 horsepower with a carborettour turbo set-up. That engine was used in the volvo amazon/120-series, the 140-series and some 240s.

The reason that the old diesel volvos are bad, and the same with the 260-series are that the engines are french. Well there not bad, they are just less good.

The diesel engine weigths roughly the same as a chevorlet 350 engine, thats why its very easy to convert a 240 to a v-8 engine, and getting it approved by the goverment.

Volvos aren`t bad cars, in fact i think of them(the cars before 93 when they stopped producing the 240) as better than most new cars, the are more comfortable, runs forever and look much better.
 
I heard the next version of Gran Turismo might have a Vin Diesel but no fancy Vulva LM Race Car.

This is one funny thread containing many iterations of the spelling of diesel.

"i" before the "e" except after "c".

It's hard to figure out why anyone would want to have more diesels but since I've never driven one I guess I'll have to try it. In theory, I guess using more exotic metals nowadays, you really could have an efficient diesel race car. I suppose most diesel engines are heavy due to the extra metal weight to manage all that compression. Maybe Audi or Mercedes will experiment with some new metals and find that diesels aren't limited to mostly dowdy cars, trucks and locomotives.
 
off the topic ever so slightly - I was surprised at how good the 1 diesel was. I always thought that diesels were useless at racetracks. I shouldn't be surprised though - not when it comes from the company that made the fantastic 530d
 
Back