• Nothing

Votes: 28 56.0%

• Total voters

kekke2000

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
kekke2000
When I got my PS3 I left it on for many hours every week just to run Folding@Home. But it's been less of that lately. It's an amazing feature which can make a big difference and it's extremely simple to use. So i'm going back to Folding!

How much are you Folding nowadays? ("Life with Playstation" in the menu)

May I ask what folding@home is, i've heard of it but don't know about it. I know people run multiple consoles with it but not what for.

I've been folding 24/7 on my launch 60G ever since Folding @Home was released, if I'm not playing a game or watching a Blu-Ray I'm Folding.

May I ask what folding@home is, i've heard of it but don't know about it. I know people run multiple consoles with it but not what for.

Click Here if you want to go deep. But in short, it's a program to do a lot of calculations for Proteins and the goal is to cure diseases with the result of these calculations. There are smart people in universities who started this. About 10 universities use this.

Calculations for proteins? Do they just borrow your PC or PS3 by using your folding or whatever it is and let it run proccesses to see if they can eventually find cures?

I've been folding 24/7 on my launch 60G ever since Folding @Home was released, if I'm not playing a game or watching a Blu-Ray I'm Folding.

Regards TheMoose - if PS3 power consumption was as Wii's and if I was not playing all free time I would fold too.

Are there any significant discoveries done by F@H so far ?

I'm to paranoid about my PS3 breaking after my first 60gb bricked itself. So unfortunately I haven't folded in a long time.

I'm to paranoid about my PS3 breaking after my first 60gb bricked itself. So unfortunately I haven't folded in a long time.

I am in the same boat, so to speak. While I never folded on my first 60gb PS3 that got the YLOD,:grumpy: there is no way I am going to add to the chance of my refurb breaking by folding.:nervous:

I'm not a folder, I'm a scruncher.:lol:

What the hell does folding do?

I'm not a folder, I'm a scruncher.:lol:

What the hell does folding do?

^^^^ see >>>>

Click Here if you want to go deep. But in short, it's a program to do a lot of calculations for Proteins and the goal is to cure diseases with the result of these calculations. There are smart people in universities who started this. About 10 universities use this.

No Folding as the TV unit I have my PS3 in has a door on the front - that needs to stay open when PS3 is on... and that looks less nice than having it closed - which will melt my PS3.

C.

Never do it, because my room gets pretty hot if I leave my PS3 running for long periods of time.

It looks like it's a fading trend, but there are still 250 000 active Folding@Home CPU's (2008). I wonder what 2009 will look like....

I do it whenever I'm listening to music on the playstation or downloading something which I'm in no rush to get. Maybe at most 2-3 hours a week.

Never do it, because my room gets pretty hot if I leave my PS3 running for long periods of time.

On my first PS3, I used to fold every now and then, but since getting my replacement, I have not folded once, and I don't intent to either, mainly for the above reason, but also for the cost of electricity.

I'm not a tight fist, I'm just devoting my resources to saving lives in a way that does not cost me money (as Folding does), but rather through becoming carbon neutral.

I used to leave it on all the time, but decided to start turning the machine off when it is not in use. It began making loud fan noises during folding, which stopped after cleaning the vents, but I decided to play it safe and not leave it on 24/7. At one point I even set the auto-off feature up so it would fold a little every night before it got turned off, but after having the system automatically shut off during all-nighter E3 content downloads I turned that off too.

As my PS3 is still often on from the time I get home from work until I go to bed I still have it set up to run automatically as a screensaver, so it kicks in if I have something to do outside or whatever pulls me away from the PS3.

Erm........WTF?
Perhaps you can give a little more detail?

threadnecro.jpg

Fold it like Bender ....
4542827663_7da27f58cb.jpg

I used to Fold for a few months last year... but i stopped since then...
There is no rewards... it's more like a public service... which is cool at first but then... :indiff:

Fold it like Bender ....
4542827663_7da27f58cb.jpg

I used to Fold for a few months last year... but i stopped since then...
There is no rewards... it's more like a public service... which is cool at first but then... :indiff:

No reward?! Just because you dont get a trophy, it still helps people in need. Thats worth more than a trophy. Trophies would be a nice touch though :)

Regards TheMoose - if PS3 power consumption was as Wii's and if I was not playing all free time I would fold too.

Are there any significant discoveries done by F@H so far ?

PS3's power consumption on Life with Playstation/Folding@home is comparable to playing a game (and even less when it goes to screensaver mode). Here's a nice table they've compiled on Wikipedia for all PS3 models' power consumption - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_hardware#Form_and_power_consumption

2121435386_5a03a54596.jpg

As for what F@h has discovered I'll list a few pages from Stanford's folding site (that place is hard to navigate!):

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Awards - This page shows their awards to date. Relatively easy to understand.
http://folding.typepad.com/ - F@h news (pretty much a blog). Interesting to see that they've published a paper on influenza on June 27
http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Main and http://folding.stanford.edu/Pande/Projects - Quick rundown on what they're working on.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers - This is where the jargon and science gets hard to understand. Good to know that they have this page for anyone who gets it though.

PGCover2010b.png

In short; it's quite alright to run Life with Playstation/Folding@home on your PS3 for charitable purposes and scientific research if you don't have any hardware issues and especially if you have a PS3 slim!

Last edited:
Back