Arma 2

• Thread starter Gabkicks
  • 26 comments
Gabkicks
GabkicksX
www.arma2.com

I recently grabbed this game off of steam for $25, and so far I'm pretty impressed with the amount of depth and detail. tons of military hardware on land and in the air. tons of guns w/ plenty of settings and equipment. There's sooo much included. There's also dynamic day to night cycles and weather. civilians, wildlife etc.

On the downside, there are some bugs, and the game seems to be very taxing on systems if time isn't taken to set up and tweak various things for performance.
here are some shots from the forums

Zn4Yp.jpg

arma2bs2sm.jpg

snipb.jpg

animals.JPG

screen029s.jpg

Last edited:
I got it as well. It´s the people behind operation flashpoint btw so people get an idea how ambitious they are. Even have TrackIR support and let you turn your head individually from your body which is kind of a first if it wasn´t for the original Armed Assault or a HL 2 beta.

I am a bit busy at the moment so I haven´t got to mess around with it that much yet :(

Yeah I can see where the TrackIR would come in handy, especially with the helicopters. It's pretty cool how detailed the missions are. There's even side missions you can do while doing main missions. In the last coop game After "liberating" a town, 2 of us went off on an assassination side mission while the rest continued forward to the next town.

One little bug i've noticed is that enemy infantry don't react intelligently to tanks and armored vehicals. They'll sometimes take cover, behind buildings, and try to fire rockets/grenades, but a lot of them just stay in plain view and get mowed down. Sometimes I'll sneak up on machine gun nests or mortar teams and they'll be sitting around twiddling their thumbs as if they didnt hear me approaching.

On this same mission, there were 2 helicopters fighting above my fire team as we were engaging enemy, and one helicopter got shot down and crashed near us, killed some enemy and knocked my soldier unconscious. :P

Only just noticed this thread, I played it a lot when it first come out and then now again as most of the bugs have been fixed and performance has improved with the new patch

Patch 1.05 is out and besides all the bugs fixed it includes a new small campaign (long twisting mission really) which is fantastic, much better than than pretty much all the main "Red Harvest" campaign.

Also you guys heard about the upcoming "expansion" (actually works as stand alone, original not required) Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead?
Looks pretty good and if this bonus mini campaign in the 1.05 patch is anything to go by then it should play great too.

http://www.arma2.com/arrowhead/arrowhead.html

Oh btw I was a big fan of Operation Flashpoint and the expansions (Red hammer, Resistance), I finally heard Operation Flashpoint 2 was getting towards release (after years of lingering) then I found out the original team was making a game called ARMA and ARMA 2 was just getting released, so I checked out the demo...... oh my, THIS is the real Operation Flashpoint 2 (or 3 considering ARMA 1), not that trash Codemasters were sticking to the label. :)

I got it too. Also played it alot at first ehen i got it. It is a simulation, which is awesome. i loved the original Operation Flashpoint. (Second OF2DR is also cool).

Now i didn't play 'cause got win7 and didn't work?? Don't know why. Will try the new patch. Awesome game. And huge.

Yeah in meantime, a lot of patches came out for the graphic card and the game. Will check it out. Loved to flight with the jet

Operation Arrowhead came out yesterday :) I havent even beaten the campaigns that came w/ Arma II yet. A new patch (1.07) came out as well.

Operation Arrowheads campaig was a little too short IMO, good, but short. Are you going to buy the British DLC that is available... just about now sometime. I am thinking about getting it soon, I hope the ew british campaign is atleast as long as arrowhead but I doubt it.

I only played a few minutes of the campaign. I've mostly been playing multiplayer coop on the TAWS server. hopefully the British expansion will only be $5 or something like that...

ah nvm, it is the "lite" version. basically so that you can still play multiplayer with people that paid for it. :/ super low resolution textures, and you have to pay for the campaigns.

Thinking about buying this, but there are so many versions out now I don't know which to buy. Is Arma X the newest one with all the content?

I also had another question. I tried the Arma II free awhile back and was having major problems with the surorund sound. It made super loud noises in my side speakers all the time. Was wondering if this was just an Arma free bug, or maybe a problem with the entire game.

Thanks, I went ahead and bought X. will giv it a try in a few hours when it's done downloading 26gig.

Checked for sound problem fixes and couldn't find one. It seems there are lots of people having sound problems but not like mine. Most of theirs actually freezes the game, or they have no sound. Mine makes my rear speakers crackle super loud. I have to go with just stereo to make it playable. I also had a crazy bug where it wouldn't even let me play. I kept getting a serial key error. tried a bunch of things and couldn't fix it. Reset my PC and then it worked. My fixes I tried though caused more problems and arrow head wouldn't work, so now I have to redownload it, and hope it installs right this time. I finally got Arma to work, but haven't gotten to try out any of Arma II yet.

Last edited:
Just bought this game solely because of DayZ.

It's been getting a lot of buzz lately. Would be really nice if a fully dedicated expansion (or game) can be produced. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Here's an article from Kotaku:

And a Diary from one of the Author's sessions (great write):
I've been playing since around 1.2, and it really is something else. I have so many crazy stories and experiences from my travels in Chernarus I almost feel like writing a book.

Once, I logged on in the middle of the night. During my previous sessions I had been making my way through the countryside to what I was told was a town ripe for the picking, travelling with a friend who was now fast asleep. I decide to take a shortcut through a small village, which turned out to be a terrible decision - it was full of zombies.

So there I was, being chased along the road by a dozen zombies for what must've been half an hour, when I see a flare in the distance. It looks like it's on the roof of a building, but it's hard to tell from this distance. I stop running for a second to announce that I'm in need of help, during which time I'm struck in the face and start bleeding. Almost immediately I get a reply - "No problem, come on over". Slowly losing blood, I make my way over and find that it is indeed a building (and a pretty big one, at that). I climb a few flights of stairs, but see no entrance to the roof. Frantically searching, I hear a moan. They're catching up. Suddenly, I hear the flick of lighter, followed by a blinding red light - the guy drops a flare down, revealing the ladder that was hiding behind a stack of crates. I'm struck once again while I'm putting away my mostly-empty revolver. My vision darkens as I climb, gunshots echoing as my newfound companion covers my escape.

The gunshots stop as I finally reach the top. I'm safe. He points me towards a pile of ammo and we chat for a bit while he gives me a transfusion. In the first downtime I've had in quite some time, I realize how incredibly hungry and thirsty I am. I ask if he has anything to eat, to which he replies with a laugh, "You too, eh?"

A scream echoes in the distance. Blam. Blamblam. Another scream - no shots this time, though. I look toward the horizon, deeper into the city where I see a figure basking in the faint light of a distant flare. It's another survivor, and it looks like he's in trouble. Without hesitation, my savior whips out he rifle and, after adjusting his zero, takes aim and fires. The shots hit and the zombie goes down, as expected. What we didn't expect, though, was the massive horde that proceeded to sprint through the light towards us. ****.

We decide that it'd be a waste of resources to try and take them out from all the way over there, so we wait for them to get closer. We manage to pick off a few before they round the corner of the courtyard and escape our line of sight, which uses up the majority of our remaining ammunition. Their cries now louder than ever, we figure they're probably in the building. "We fight to the end!", he says. No disagreements here. While waiting for death to shamble up the stairs, we reminisce about how we first met - oh, it seems like only yesterday! We expend the rest of our ammo on the first few to climb the ladder, though there are many still filing up the stairs.

We back as far away from the entrance as we can and wait. Guns as empty as our stomachs (and my veins), we watch as the first zombie steps floor on the roof. The chat was unusually dead, so it wasn't hard to see the message in my peripheral vision - "Goodbye, battle-brother. We made a hell of a team." I turn my head as he takes a single step and leaps off the edge.

The rest, well, you can probably figure it out.

my-plans-for-the-future.jpg

I have yet to try Day Z, RPS have a sort of ongoing blog of it (sort of, two entries in a week) which make it out to be so utterly terrifying yet so exciting and actually fresh (yes, a new thing that hasn't really been done before in the already quite played-out zombie game sub-genre!) that I'm desperate to try it but would only want to do so with someone I know and trust to not screw me over. I'm having a tough time convincing any of my BF3 clan mates to buy the game just to play a mod that is still in alpha (it is, right?) and of my real actual friends who play PC games, all one of them isn't interested in Arma II because of the poor optimisation.

Still, Arma II is amazing, for all the glitches and bugs it's unlike anything I've ever played and the online co-op is just the best multiplayer experience you can have. There's nothing quite like pairing up with another guy, clearing a village of insurgents, being picked up by a passing Little Bird to go back to base as night falls to rearm for a night op and being HALO dropped in the middle of another objective by a C-130. Then you get hit once by an AK and die.

Were they not planning on console versions of this once?

What happened?

From what I've read, they say there is no way they could make it on a console. They claim it just wouldn't support the scale of the game and the physics. Could you really see any consoles players playing Arma anyway. It's nothing like any other shooter made.

One of the first times I played online, a guy told me to get in a jeep so I did. He then took me to the top of this huge hill but didn't drive over the crest of it and told me to get out. He said there was a village just down the other side of it, and it was where one of the objectives or whatever they call them is. I got out, said thanks, and started sneaking over the top so I could see down the other side. There was no villiage below, he was just messing with me, and I was miles away from anything. I ran for about 15 minutes before I gave up and killed myself to respawn.

That was just an example of how big this game is. Console shooter fans would not want to have to drive for 10 minutes before they got to an objective. Or wait 15 minutes for someone to come and pick them up in a helicopter to fly them to the next point.

Fuel is a console cross-country driving game that's got 15,000 km square available, so way larger than Arma II - but yeah, I get your point, very few will be interested in slogging the long way. I think the problem with consoles is that the game perports to have thousands of zombies at any one time, which would be perhaps too much for a console.

Fuel is alot different than a game rendering air, land, and infantry in multiplayer while calculating physics for all of the above and their respective weapons. Regardless, any PC game can be ran on console as long as you run graphics on their minimum settings (and remove all forms of post processing and anti-aliasing).

Arma 3 is going to have streamlined menus/actions so hopefully it will pull a larger following than 2 did.

Back