ArmA II Iminent release

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 27 comments
Hereward
Herewward
Right, firstly I'm confused, no change there then:)

ArmA II is aparently being released on the 23rd of June in the UK......acording to IGN.

Now I first thought this was a PC only game, and I tried not to look at it for fear of gelously.......but aparently it's being released on the PS3 and 360! This has sneeked up quieter than Superstars V8 Racing! although ArmA II has a fair clutch of videos on youtube which again I totaly missed.

I have looked on Game but acording to them the game dosn't exist....which to be honest dosn't suprise me. Anyone find a retail release date other than IGN's? As again I'm not totaly beliveing theres either.

Anyway heres a quick vid, a link to a hands on and some screen shots to whet yor trigger fingers, Really looking foreward to this as I'm a big SOCOM fan and an operation flashpoint devote, ArmA II being made by the OF original dev team.

Link to Preview
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/932/932232p1.html

Link to release date
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

arma-ii-20090501110722695_640w.jpg

arma-ii-screens-20090429015007588_640w.jpg

arma-ii-screens-20090429015003620_640w.jpg

Last edited:
Tough to tell which game will be better, this one or OF2. Both games look outstanding. I look forward to playing both.

good 3-4 months between both titles so I'll definatly be picking both up, OF2 looks more polished but ArmA could be the more strategic.

I'll take the one with the Harrier and Osprey in it :D

I read up on both a while ago and was dismayed to find that ArmA2 wasn't coming to consoles. So this news has made my day!

Hey you and me both! I'm still hunting stuff out, there seems to be an official PS3/360 videos and IGN have a hands on plus a release date. But can I find it on Amazone or game? nope, aparently it dosn't exist? I'll go pull some more info as I'm still not sure how this one has been missed by everyone.

I have been on the official ArmA II website and forum, mainly PC Gamers on there but there is a sticky 360 thread......so it's definatly on the 360, I'm still hunting for offical word on the PS3 version.

Please don't try and read the offical forums for this game, especialy ANY threads regarding ANY console versions.......Them thee PC gamers are like a pack of rabid fanboys! Basicly someone asks about a PS3 or 360 version, what then follows is 15 pges of personal attacks and my PC's bigger than yours LOL by the time you wade through the infintile garbage you realise the devs or indeed the mods don't actualy post on the forums.....so no questions ever get awnsered......just rumor and speculation becomes reality! So acording to "official" sources (ahem) a PS3 version is "imposible" to do and a 360 version will "eventualy" emerge.....maybe in a year but will be "similar to a 2005 version"
In actuality IGN have a 3 page hands on report done in November, they also have a release date up of the 23rd.........saying that no retailers have either the 360 or PS3 versions on ANY of there lists........Don't ya love the internet for it's information gathering qualities. Hang on done a search and aparently the internet isnt released yet......and theres only a Mac version in development....bugger

Last edited:
Well, I've just got a new graphics card after my 8800GT died the other week and I love my PC dearly ;) But honestly, the consoles do very well considering their hardware is already 4 or so years old, just looking at the previews of OF you can see the PC version doesn't look amazingly ahead, and I actually like CoD 4 on PS3 more than PC, so I'd be one of the first to hope ArmA 2 comes to the consoles too - It's good that Crysis 2 is coming to the consoles as well; after all, it might mean they actually have to code it properly this time round, though i'd be surprised if they can manage a Crysis 1 level of detail on the consoles :P

The next evolution in developer Bohemia Interactive's military endeavors. ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options.

Genre: First-Person Shooter
Also Available On: Xbox 360, PC
Release Date: September 30, 2009 Ps3
June 23, 2009 PC
September 30, 2009 Xbox 360

I got this for the PC today so I'll let you know how it compares to the other games from Bohemia when I get a chance to have a go, probably tomorrow. I can tell you the game does feature base construction and you can take the role of high commend, I can't tell you how that's implemented yet, I just read it in the manual.

I've just installed it and had a very brief go and it doesn't run too well on my PC which is neatly in between the minimum and optimal requirements (hence the brief go). Shame because that'll mean it'll probably just sit on the shelf until I upgrade my PC which won't be soon. You can turn the details down like mad and it runs better but boy do thoes details turn down. I wouldn't play it at close to it's lowest settings It looks good on higher settings on my PC, it just doesn't run well.

A friend of mine w/ similar settings ran @1680x1050. runs okay for him. aiming is incredibly hard in this game compared to every single other FPS game out there. :P its nice having big wars.

I thought there was supposed to be a demo?

Actually I was checing my PC specs after I poted and realised, maybe I could do with a better graphics card. Everything else on the PC is fine but thecard is dated which I didn't realise since it's never struggled with a game this much before. So I'm going to pop out and get one later.

It's a GeForce something or other 6100, it's the only component in my PC that isn't up to scratch. But since I've not bought any new games for a while it's been a non-issue. Anyway I've just bought a GeForce 9600 GT for £65 which should be more than good enough I hope.

for that price, you should be able to get a 9800GT, right? My friend's 4850 sometimes drops into the 30's or lower depending on the action, and he's just running on high, not very high settings, and that's near 9800gt performance.

No, I could have got the 9800 GT but it would have cost about £30 more for the cheapest one and I didn't want to spend over £90. I'm not fussed about running a game on the highest settings, I'm going to see how it runs later.

Where did you get those prices? xD

9800GT - £56 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...Hz-GDDR3-GPU-600MHz-112-Cores-2xDL-DVI-I-HDTV

HD4850 - £75 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...GDDR3-GPU-625-MHz-800-Cores-2-x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV

GTS250 - £85 - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512M...it-2200-MHz-GDDR3-GPU-738-MHz-HDTV-DVI-Retail

(From worst to best)

Free next day delivery if you're an AVForums / Hexus member.

For reference, going off Tom's Hardware aggregate scores across all tested games for each card you can see how they compare (raw score is all FPS values added together):

GTS250 - 370 (148%)

HD4850 - 320 (128%)

9800GT - 300 (120%)

9600GT - 250 (100%)

EDIT: Looks like they've stopped selling the cheap 9800GT - there's only 3 versions of it left now so it looks like they're going to stop selling the card altogether soonish.

Last edited:
PC Demo just got released. its over 2gigs. Its singleplayer and multiplayer demo. just check the usual places, fileplanet etc.

Well as a PS3 owner, I'm considering this or OF2 for purchase around Xmas (I know I'm thinking far ahead here but I'll be in uni by then and strapped for cash, so I'm planning my games).

I want 1 hardcore shooter, not COD which I've grown to hate, I want something that provides a true war experience and co-op play being a big thing rather then straight up competitive online for me. Problem is me nor my friend can work out what if any the major differences between OF and ArmA are, they seem so similar accept so far OF2 looks a bit more glossy and pretty graphically.

For those interested my other 1 game for the next year or 2 is a driving game, and everyone knows it's gonna be GT5 :lol:

What about Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, God of War 3, WipEout HD Fury? :)

Thanks for the heads up on the demo, i'll download it when my brother gets off the gaming PC.

What about Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, God of War 3, WipEout HD Fury? :)

Not interested, Uncharted isn't my thing, The Last Guardian doesn't appeal to me either, Heavy Rain looks interesting but doesn't appear like it will last a long time for me, God of War 3 will likely be awesome but have nothing to do after it's completed once and WipEout I only enjoy on occasions.

I'm going to uni, it costs alot of freakin' money and I can't afford to shell out on games that won't last me. The games which do interest me are MAG, GT5, ArmA II and OF2. Other then that nothing is jumping out at me as titles I should purchase, and there's no need to buy MAG, ArmA and OF so I intend to buy only 1 of those.

So you like racers and 'realistic' shooters and that's it? :P Tried out the ArmA II demo last night and even at full settings it looks fairly poor graphically, and with the benchmark I get 27 fps average (and on this game that's not really playable), but I'll try fiddling with the settings a bit today.

So you like racers and 'realistic' shooters and that's it? :P Tried out the ArmA II demo last night and even at full settings it looks fairly poor graphically, and with the benchmark I get 27 fps average (and on this game that's not really playable), but I'll try fiddling with the settings a bit today.

No, i like plenty of genres but I say again I'm going to uni, I can't buy every single game and these are the games I know I personally could stick with for a long time. I'd buy God of War straight away if I could afford to buy every game that I like the look of, and Assassins Creed 2 despite the first and plenty more, LBP2 if there is one, etc. I simply can't shell out money for games constantly though. GT5 and a good co-op shooter will last me a year no problem.

I get where you're coming from - but if this is so, i'd say ArmA II ain't for you... Well, i'd say that i'd play it less than most games i have (such as Uncharted :P)

I dunno, i just find it a little boring, maybe it's hard to get into it only from playing the demo... I'm kind of tempted to download it but it seems a pretty solid game and i only feel justified in downloading games that really aren't worth buying, so i might just hold out until it drops in price :)

Man, my pounds sterling are going to be stretched these coming months. There are too many quality FPS's coming out, its ridiculous! :eek:

Modern Warfare 2, MAG, Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising, and now ARMA II, I'm going to be spoilt for choice! Something will have to give though, because unless I work like I'm in a cotton field, I seriously doubt I will be able to purchase all these great titles. But which ones do I buy, and which do I miss? Bugger... :grumpy: :lol:

Edit: Even if I did manage to purchase them, how would I get to play them all? :odd:

man, the battles are quite nice to watch. especially if you are right on the front lines. but it taxes my PC more than Crysis. :( I can drop into the single digits if i make a custom mission with too many units.

I never gave an update on this, the game is very impressive, my new graphics card works a treat. I've not got everything on max but most details are on high and a few on max and it looks great. I've not had any slow down moments yet at all through the campaign but I've not put it to the test and made any large scale conflicts in the editor.

The games not perfect it has glitches, some graphical like clipping when you're near an object and there was one time I'd been shot, I called the medic, he ran near to me and then just lied down and stayed there. We wern't under fire but he just wouldn't come over and heal me so I had to load my last save point. Saving regular is a good idea but to be honest I've only had that one moment where my game play has been stopped due to what appeared to be a glitch I haven't had any other game play problems (other than accidentally touching off a satchel charge while I'm still crouched next to it).

The graphics are great, the sounds are good although the voices and voice adcting is far from great.

Aiming is hard but you get used to it, the missions are long. You do sometimes get the chance to determine how long the misions will be by accepting to undertake side missions or following up on unexpected mid-mission findings like rescuing a prisoner then following up on the prisoner commenting on a mass grave nearby. You don't have to rescue him and if you do you don't ave to see if the mass grave exists or not.

Fans of the original Flashpoint and ARMA 1 will like this game but as I found out you do need decent hardware to run it on. Overall this game is great so far and if the mod community delivers some good additional content then it can only get better.

I never gave an update on this, the game is very impressive, my new graphics card works a treat. I've not got everything on max but most details are on high and a few on max and it looks great. I've not had any slow down moments yet at all through the campaign but I've not put it to the test and made any large scale conflicts in the editor.

The games not perfect it has glitches, some graphical like clipping when you're near an object and there was one time I'd been shot, I called the medic, he ran near to me and then just lied down and stayed there. We wern't under fire but he just wouldn't come over and heal me so I had to load my last save point. Saving regular is a good idea but to be honest I've only had that one moment where my game play has been stopped due to what appeared to be a glitch I haven't had any other game play problems (other than accidentally touching off a satchel charge while I'm still crouched next to it).

The graphics are great, the sounds are good although the voices and voice adcting is far from great.

Aiming is hard but you get used to it, the missions are long. You do sometimes get the chance to determine how long the misions will be by accepting to undertake side missions or following up on unexpected mid-mission findings like rescuing a prisoner then following up on the prisoner commenting on a mass grave nearby. You don't have to rescue him and if you do you don't ave to see if the mass grave exists or not.

Fans of the original Flashpoint and ARMA 1 will like this game but as I found out you do need decent hardware to run it on. Overall this game is great so far and if the mod community delivers some good additional content then it can only get better.

IMO the sounds could be a lot better, especially vehicle sounds.
A few things that REALLY kill it for me are the A.I flying the C130 like an F16, the running-line parachute drops using the wrong type of parachute and no consequence of taking shots to the cockpit of aircraft (especially jets).
Minor things but they really annoy me.

Back