Ascending The Peaks Of Mount Panorama

• Thread starter jcmc
  • 12 comments
jcmc968
I am really quite smitten with this new track in GT6. By coincidence, a week before the game was released I started playing Real Racing 3 on my iPad and this track featured in a lot of events. It was the first time I had even heard of it.

Now on GT6 it has become my test track of choice with its perfect mix of high speed straights, fast sweeping corners and twisty technical sections that gives a work out to every part of a car and quickly gives you a sense of whether your selected vehicle is pretty good or not.

Every great circuit needs a seminal corner or two and there's a few contenders on Mount Panorama. I like the first right hander that takes you up the hill early in the lap at the end of the long straight, but my current favourite it towards the end of the circuit. You come out the twisty section and you have a long, fast downhill section that leads into a very fast easy right-hander. Trying to be bold and taking that at full speed is a real thrill - I managed it at 180mph in a McLaren MP4 while I flew spectacularly off track at 175mph in a GT-R.

With a decent lap coming in somewhere between two and two and a half minutes, it's also a perfect length to give you a time reflective of the car you are running while not causing you to necessarily restart every time you make a mistake.

I have run maybe 15 cars on it and enjoyed every one in different ways. My fastest time was just under 2 minutes with the Audi Pikes Peak Quattro followed by a 2:15 with a Delta S4 on perhaps the most edge of the seat lap I have driven in GT5 so far. Oddly my Nissan GT-R Black Edition time is nothing all that special and comes in around the same as a Ferrari 599 or 430 Scuderia, while the biggest revelation was the M4 I picked up last night - it's surprisingly fast and great on that circuit in stock form.

I refer to it as Bathurst as well, but yes, same course.

That final chicane has produced some huge crashes.

Cant forget about that Lotus Cup race either, where a guy passed 15 cars in one lap. Hell of a feat on any track, but unheard of on Bathurst!

I love the track but I wouldn't use it exclusively for testing. It's more of a power track than anything else and so cars that have good powerbands and power/weight will do well here, whereas lower powered cars that handle well will suffer a bit on the longer straights. Hard to make up a lot of time in the corners because most of the corners are short and tight. One thing I really like though is the feedback you get through the tire noise really tells you what's happening with the car here. You can hear and feel when you are on the edge of grip here, it's really well done:tup:👍 Good job Kaz:cheers:

I drive all my classics, muscle cars, pony cars, GT3 cars there. If you make time to watch a TCM race on you tube, 550hp -650hp and soft suspension make for a lively lap. Lots of fun in a softly sprung Pozzi Camaro RS and Red Devil.

Is there a way to get a leaderboard per track on GT6? like in GT5 how it showed the top 10-12 fastest cars that you've set a laptime with

I am still learning the track, I love it so far. The downhill section and the long straight after is my favourite, its going to be a hit online.

The Time Trial Leaderboards are no less frustrating than they were in GT5. Firstly there's 1200 cars in the game and yet there's a maximum of 10 times can be posted on a leaderboard. Secondly; instead of any individual car having no more than one entry that is updated when you better your best time, you can have multiple entries from different sessions.

So I have taken 15 cars or so around this track and can only see the best time for 6 or 7 of them as my best 3 times all came from a Pikes Peak car in different sessions.

Close second as best track in the world if you ask me (behind the nordschleife). I'm from Aus so I'm biased because I grew up watching racing at bathurst but it has the perfect combination of corners, speed and elevation.

Not to mention that half the corners are blind and there's no run off. So glad it finally made it to GT so that people outside of Aus can experience it (oh and it feels twice as narrow and twice as steep in real life!)

Great track!

Best part is flying down Conrod Straight and through the Chase then hard onto the brakes.

I remember watching Fabien Coulthard crash here in the 2010 Bathurst 1000 opening lap - close to 290km/h and he still managed to walk away.

Back