Ask GTP what Car you should buy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thatman
  • 10 comments
  • 1,088 views
Messages
2,267
United States
W92.46 N44.02
Messages
Thatmanthere
Messages
A Zany Husky
I really think there should be a thread specifically for that, considering how many people do that, and now I am. :dunce: ANYHOW I broke my talon because I was stupid :guilty: And I want ANOTHER DSM because I love them soooo much. SO these are the two best ones in my price range and in my "area."

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1107597357.html
Says that the A/C "works" but hasn't driven it in summer since '07 and that it spurts the "wonderful" blue smoke at 6000+rpm. He thinks its the turbo leaking as he had the head gasket professionally replaced. CONS: 125 miles away and wont go lower than $1400 Also he says the clutch has never been replace the 3 years he has had it but seems "VERY" solid with no slippage.

Then
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1092883701.html
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This car has no A/C but I think he would take like $1k-1.1k so its cheaper and only about 100 miles away....Also he says about 177k on the chassis.

I dont know what one to go look at because well thats a LOT of gas to go see both.

Well thanks for the thoughts.
 
Wait, what was it you broke on the Talon?
 
That 2nd car is a complete bomb, stay away from it. And err, a Plymouth Laser? Never heard of it, but if you think you're getting a cheap turbo car you're asking for trouble.......
 
Both are NOT good. First one is eating oil. Will require an overhaul soon.

Second one is just a rat.
 
if you're going cheap, go small or Japanese.
 
Well, they both ARE Japanese (albeit assembled in a Cornfield outside Bloomington, IL,) and are small...

but have been driven the hell out of.
 
Wait, what was it you broke on the Talon?

I was an idiot and must have broke a few(ok I did) gaskets when putting it back together, currently if its running, its slowly tearing itself apart. From heat.

Both are NOT good. First one is eating oil. Will require an overhaul soon.

Second one is just a rat.

You think so? The first one belongs to a mechanic and he said he replaced things as they came up, although I have no idea when the Cometic head asket was put in....But thr srcond one you think would need ANOTHER rebuild?
 
Well, blue smoke out the exhaust typically means it's eating a little oil. He may be right about the turbo gasket, but it could also mean the rings are bad or something else. Ask how often he has to top it off. If it seems otherwise okay (and you feel you can fix whatever the oil problem is) you could probably jump for it.

the second one is just...well...it's not in very good condition from the photos. It's all black primer and the interior's in shambles.
 
if you're going cheap, go small or Japanese.

And also, in general, pure 80's. 80's cars are the definition of cheap in the modern day today, used.
 
Well, blue smoke out the exhaust typically means it's eating a little oil. He may be right about the turbo gasket, but it could also mean the rings are bad or something else. Ask how often he has to top it off. If it seems otherwise okay (and you feel you can fix whatever the oil problem is) you could probably jump for it.

the second one is just...well...it's not in very good condition from the photos. It's all black primer and the interior's in shambles.

Yeah i get what your saying. Besides the fact that i dont care if it sips oil...better than puking it out, i would refill it :sick:

On the second one though mechanically think its "okay"?

And also, in general, pure 80's. 80's cars are the definition of cheap in the modern day today, used.

lol, yeah but around here most well-taken care of 80s Japanese cars are like 3-6k so a bit out of what i can do at this point and time. NOT to mention there are some really GOOD clean DSMs around but again arnt cheap enough.
 
Right, I called the dude and asked him about the oil, he said a half a quart every 200 miles or so, "if driven hard" and if not, then apparently hardly ever. That guy with the black one said he doesn't drive it hard but every now and then but this is a quote from him on"does it smoke"-me "a little bit like u can smell it here and there not like a visible smoke
"-him.... also my brother in law thinks i should just keep filling it with coolant and oil and just drive it around town buuuut I kinda really dont like smoking everywhere....so yeah.
 
Last edited:
Back