ASPHALT MAGAZINE - the GT4 and GT5 test drive mag

homeforsummer

Bonbonbonbons!
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Welcome one and all.

Asphalt Magazine is the new Gran Turismo road test magazine. I hope to periodically bring you tests on the cars of the Gran Turismo world, initially starting with GT4 but moving onto GT5 when the full game is released.

Firstly, a note to possible contributors - if you're interested in contributing to Asphalt, leave a note in this thread and I'll consider your application.

Thread INDEX
ISSUE 1 (You're looking at it!) - Coupe Shoot-Out

To get the ball rolling, our first test is out now in pdf format:

Coupe Shoot-Out

Incidentally, not all installments will be as long as this! I'm planning some mini-tests too 👍

Last edited:
Erm....I don't know how Paulie is with this but I'll write. (Am I freelance?)

My stuff is on the last POC issue (issue 3) and the soon to be released issue 4.
I also started the "GT5P, Clarkson style" thread from a while back which pretty much called people to write reviews (although granted, some used it more of a platform to practice Clarkson metaphors) which I contributed to with a few articles.

Right now (leading up to Christmas) it depends how regular the issues come out - but during the (Christmas) holidays, I got nothing but time. I mean anything at or less than one issue per month is manageable.

I fear there's going to be a slight rivalry with POC come GT5 - but...meh.

It's good BTW 👍

Last edited:
No harm in a bit of friendly rivalry :P I'm doing this for a bit of fun, plus it kind of keeps me writing stuff which is useful for my degree.

As for the articles at the moment, I'm sticking with GT4. There are a few reasons for this: Firstly, I haven't got bored of the cars in GT4 unlike those with GT5:P yet, and there's a lot more choice. Secondly, the tracks are better for thorough testing. Finally, GT5:P doesn't have a photomode and GT4 does, which means you can get exactly the shots you want in GT4, and I expect the full GT5 will be the same.

Format wise the choice is open, if you'd like to contribute - I'm thinking of mini-tests for individual cars, the occasional group test, "retro tests" of some of the classic cars, and even long-term tests for those cars that contributors use a lot and have a lot to say about. This will all then be seamlessly moved into GT5 when that game is released.

So really, there shouldn't be much overlap with Pedal Of Choice as you're more than welcome to do any story you wish. You could even do a car profile, for example, testing all the different Skylines or Civics in the game. The options are open!

As for hosting, it'll all be .pdf as above - so if you do choose to write a test, send me the text and images and I'll edit it all and present it in the style above 👍

Yours will probably be better than ours :lol:, but like you we're just doing it for a little fun.:) I don't mind if Nibbers writes for you, so long as you give both even attention.;)

Yours will probably be better than ours :lol:, but like you we're just doing it for a little fun.:) I don't mind if Nibbers writes for you, so long as you give both even attention.;)

Will do, cheif 👍

HFS - I'm not in a position to write anything right now, as important trial exams are looming and will take the next 3 weeks to pass. 👍

No worries 👍 I'll be writing a few odds and sods in the meantime anyway. Might start testing for my next article later on...

Looks awesome hfs, not had chance to read it properly yet as I'm still on business back in England, but I'll definitely have another proper shufty at it when I get back home...

Very nice, but I think Road and Trek is better.

Naturally. Niky is a journalist, I'm just doing a degree to become one :sly: He's a few steps ahead of me :P

Thanks for the comments folks 👍 LancerEvo7GSR - you're more than welcome to write for the magazine. Feel free to write a short article and send it to me, let's see how you write :)

Whereabouts in the UK are you at the moment, smallhorses (if you don't mind me asking)?

Naturally. Niky is a journalist, I'm just doing a degree to become one :sly: He's a few steps ahead of me :P

Thanks for the comments folks 👍 LancerEvo7GSR - you're more than welcome to write for the magazine. Feel free to write a short article and send it to me, let's see how you write :)

Whereabouts in the UK are you at the moment, smallhorses (if you don't mind me asking)?

Correction... amateur journalist. In the sense that... the difference between an amateur and a professional are that a professional gets paid. :lol: None of us internet wags get paid... not much, at least... if we get paid at all... but I'm on my way to collecting my membership card in the local association.

It's all in the fun, though... I've been watching this thread since yesterday, but my current laptop doesn't have Adobe Reader... am downloading it now and looking forward to reading this! ;)

I can offer a bit of advice on layout, editing and formatting if that's needed. I noticed a couple of grocers' apostrophes in the first two pages. But the content itself is extremely good, well done.

Correction... amateur journalist. In the sense that... the difference between an amateur and a professional are that a professional gets paid. :lol: None of us internet wags get paid... not much, at least... if we get paid at all... but I'm on my way to collecting my membership card in the local association.

Heh, I wasn't aware. That's sort of the direction I've been going too. I actually found your blog the other day completely by accident!

PF
I can offer a bit of advice on layout, editing and formatting if that's needed. I noticed a couple of grocers' apostrophes in the first two pages. But the content itself is extremely good, well done.

Really? Damn, I normally take care not to misplace apostrophes. I hate the English language sometimes... Glad you enjoyed reading it though :)

Shhh... that's a secret blog. :lol: Not even I read it!

One suggestion... I like the idea of pdf format, but it'd be easier to access if you set it as a full document, instead of loading individual pages. I think Drivers-Republic uses a similar online distribution system as you're using, but they put everything into one viewer file. ;)

I'd be more than happy to use a full PDF but the struggle is hosting it anywhere without spending any money, as the file altogether is around 8mb and most places allow you 5mb tops.

Anyway, with the smaller articles it won't be an issue, they'll be no more than a page, with any luck.

Its' one of the hardest thing's in English, figuring out where apostrophe's go.

EDIT: What do you plan for the next issue?

PF
Its' one of the hardest thing's in English, figuring out where apostrophe's go.

:lol:

EDIT: What do you plan for the next issue?

Preview of ASPHALT Issue #2:

Asphalt Magazine have been invited by Nissan to the Tsukuba race circuit to test two Micras. They might look similar on the outside but under the skin they're very different animals...

micras1.jpg

If you fancy doing a bunch of pics along those lines that'd be great 👍 I'll give you creative freedom as long as you use the same colours as those two :P

Oooh... Been thinking about it and I wouldn't mind at all doing a bit of writing for this. I like to at least think I have a decent way with words (dangerous, isn't it?) and this looks to be something a bit easier to do something with than trying to put together and hold together a 'fic. (I.e I don't have to think out characters etc, which is my main weak point)

Let me know.

I'd be more than happy for you to write. As above, you pretty much have creative freedom, and as you mentioned, I'm not writing in a ficticious style. The idea is just to test the cars and report as you find. Of course, there's no harm in a bit of fiction to tie it all together, but I'd prefer to keep away from a full-on story.

I think I mentioned before - for anything you'd like to write, go away and do a test, write it up, take a few photomode pics and send them all this way and I'll put it all together in a similar format to that in my first post. I'll probably complete my Micra article in the next week or so, so if you've done something before then, I can put it in the same issue 👍

I'm open to pretty much anything too. You can test supercars 'till your thumbs fall off if you like - personally, I'll mainly be writing about the more humble stuff as that is where my interests lie. I've got a few ideas for Kei car tests brewing.

Back