Aspiration Types impact a car's performance.

Guatemala
Guatemala City,
forandypand@hotmail.com
I understand how the different aspirations work, the turbo and supercharged engines are usually inducers of greater horse power in a vehicle, my question is, does this distinction carry over to the simulation of the GT6? Are there any noticeable differences between naturally aspirated, turbo charged, super charged, and electric engines in terms of performances?

Well off of the top of my mind, there are the 4 engine types in GT6.

N/A Naturally Aspirated, these engines have a more consistent power output throughout the revs, meaning you won't have a sudden drop in power all of a sudden or a slow stall and a massive power jump. (haven't checked cars that have valve timing which gets a power increase at certain revs)

Turbos: Three different kinds of turbos, meaning you get power boosts at different revs, but there is also the chance that it takes a while, turbo lag, or that you lose power on certain ends. For example with a high rpm turbo, you lack the low end power and acceleration, but make up for it with the high end boost power.

Superchargers: Good power, no lag, but doesn't produce as much power as a turbo, good for low end power thats why its common on muscle cars.

Electric Vehicles: Slightly consistent power throughout, like a N/A car, kinda lame most of them only come with the Drive gear and thats it, so there is a lack of acceleration at the beginning.

So to answer yes, there is, in terms of acceleration, speed, power output, and how and when that power is put down, it is modeled quite well.

Well off of the top of my mind, there are the 4 engine types in GT6.

N/A Naturally Aspirated, these engines have a more consistent power output throughout the revs, meaning you won't have a sudden drop in power all of a sudden or a slow stall and a massive power jump. (haven't checked cars that have valve timing which gets a power increase at certain revs)

Turbos: Three different kinds of turbos, meaning you get power boosts at different revs, but there is also the chance that it takes a while, turbo lag, or that you lose power on certain ends. For example with a high rpm turbo, you lack the low end power and acceleration, but make up for it with the high end boost power.

Superchargers: Good power, no lag, but doesn't produce as much power as a turbo, good for low end power thats why its common on muscle cars.

Electric Vehicles: Slightly consistent power throughout, like a N/A car, kinda lame most of them only come with the Drive gear and thats it, so there is a lack of acceleration at the beginning.

So to answer yes, there is, in terms of acceleration, speed, power output, and how and when that power is put down, it is modeled quite well.

Just to add there is another engine type in GT6 in the Lancia Delta S4, which is twin charging which is an engine fitted with a supercharger and a turbo. I think this is the only one though.
I think PD list it as a T (Turbo) car though.

Just to add there is another engine type in GT6 in the Lancia Delta S4, which is twin charging which is an engine fitted with a supercharger and a turbo. I think this is the only one though.
I think PD list it as a T (Turbo) car though.

Thanks mate, totally forgot about the S4, supercharger is in effect until turbo spools up. Wish we could SC or TC any car just like IRL instead of being limited most of the time to one, the other or none.

The GTPlanet once again delivers. Much appreciated fellas. These effects will definitely come into consideration next time I select a car. ^^

i remember playing gt4 you could by and N/A car do all the N/A tunning then put the top turbo and the supercharger on it

Thanks mate, totally forgot about the S4, supercharger is in effect until turbo spools up. Wish we could SC or TC any car just like IRL instead of being limited most of the time to one, the other or none.
Engine swaps would be cool too. If they were to measure the engine compartments, we could get limitless abilities towards tuning and modding... Who knows, GT9 or something :P

I can't say how well PD have modeled this, but that's one of the main advantages with electric motors: no gears, and power/torque available right away

I can't say how well PD have modeled this, but that's one of the main advantages with electric motors: no gears, and power/torque available right away

Actually its not modeled well, idk if PD has a bias towards that even though they have (premium Nissan Leaf, Prius?) certain EV or hybrid vehicles. I remember Top Gear had an electric AMG against a petrol one, so much power it blew the petrol one right away, but with the Tesla cars and such, no feeling of a surge of power, even tested with the EcoSport, kind of this little hum and slight acceleration, only do you hit the higher curves does power really arrive. This hurts the EV cars in corners as quick acceleration out of a corner is needed, but with only a Drive gear, its downright bad. Not a good job with EV modeled for GT6 in summary.

Actually its not modeled well, idk if PD has a bias towards that even though they have (premium Nissan Leaf, Prius?) certain EV or hybrid vehicles. I remember Top Gear had an electric AMG against a petrol one, so much power it blew the petrol one right away, but with the Tesla cars and such, no feeling of a surge of power, even tested with the EcoSport, kind of this little hum and slight acceleration, only do you hit the higher curves does power really arrive. This hurts the EV cars in corners as quick acceleration out of a corner is needed, but with only a Drive gear, its downright bad. Not a good job with EV modeled for GT6 in summary.

Well that sucks! It's great that so many EV cars are included - some of them look GREAT - but if you take away that immediate power out of corners it could potentially do some damage to their reputation because they can't hang with the petrol cars!

Well that sucks! It's great that so many EV cars are included - some of them look GREAT - but if you take away that immediate power out of corners it could potentially do some damage to their reputation because they can't hang with the petrol cars!

Its weird because I know with EV they get a huge amount of steady torque and power at low rpm's and it remains consistent until they reach max power, but the way GT6 modeled it, its like trying to accelerate from 6th gear at a dead stop. Its odd, but I don't use EV cars much cause the silence is just weird to me.

Its weird because I know with EV they get a huge amount of steady torque and power at low rpm's and it remains consistent until they reach max power, but the way GT6 modeled it, its like trying to accelerate from 6th gear at a dead stop. Its odd, but I don't use EV cars much cause the silence is just weird to me.
You can always make the car sounds yourself. Might trigger a bit of nostalgia.

You can always make the car sounds yourself. Might trigger a bit of nostalgia.

Yeah, and when I drive a Tesla, I can douse myself in gasoline and set myself on fire to make it more realistic as well right? XD

That's because it is like trying to accelerate from 6th gear at a dead stop. Well, more like staying in second gear when you look at the reduction ratio between the motor and transmission, but still.

A car accelerates because of torque at the wheels. Torque at the flywheel is largely irrelevant because you can adjust gearing. For example, first gear in my car is 3.5:1, which gives a 3.5x torque multiplication. So if my engine is making 300 ft-lbs at the flywheel, the torque at the differential is over 1,000 ft-lbs. (The differential has it's own reduction gearing, which also multiplies torque, but since that's true for electric cars as well we need not delve into it as it will have the same effect on both systems.)

Now, of course my engine isn't making 300 ft-lbs of torque at all RPM. Off idle it's only going to have close to, say, 100 ft-lbs, for only 350 ft-lbs at the differential after the transmission's torque multiplication. If I feather the clutch and hold the engine at torque peak for the best launch (as magazines did for this car when they tested it), however, I can get close to the full peak amount of torque being sent to the transmission at launch.

The Tesla has a 2:1 drive from the motor to the differential. So if the electric motor also makes 300 ft-lbs, the differential sees 600 ft-lbs of torque. This is more torque right off idle, but the peak value is lower. At least for the time a gasoline vehicle is in first gear.

In my car, second gear is just a hair shorter (more torque multiplication) than 2:1, so the gas engine would still have a very slight advantage at peak torque when in second gear. However, the peak falls off for the gas engine in a way that isn't as true for electrics, so overall the electric would have a slight advantage once the gasoline vehicle was in second gear. By the time you're in 3rd and 4th gears, the advantage just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Plus, you don't have to shift between gears when accelerating, which has a huge effect on things like 0-60 times (you can lose a half-second or more just from whether a car can hit 60 in second gear or needs a shift to 3rd).

Still, I think you're right about the EVs not quite being modeled completely accurately since the published times for a Tesla Roadster are significantly better than what I can achieve on SSRX. If I had to guess, I'd speculate that it's due to not being able to "dump the clutch" in the electrics the way you can with the gasoline powered cars in the game. I think this changes how the game's physics engine handles the initial hole-shot.

I wonder why PD has not added a superchager to the Honda S2000. HKS makes one. I also like to see more cars with the option to run with both. This guy out of California ( ) runs both on his Lotus Elise, nothing but pure awesome.

Back