AC Time Attack Challenge 2.0 - see post #590 for a link to a Boxing Day event with the Alfa GTA

OMG. I can't believe how much difficulty I am having with this car. Admittedly, I probably have only logged 15 miles in the M235i Race Car - but that's no excuse... I've spent a fair amount of time on Imola, but you wouldn't know it based on the time I'm about to post. I swear, I might just turn on Traction Control if I can't knock a couple of seconds, at least, off this posted time. No...I wouldn't do that. I know that driving aids are allowed, but I'm personally trying to drive without TC and absolutely never will use the Stability Control.

I am trying to apply power lightly coming out of turns, but i either spin out or I get the rear end so upset that I have to completely come off the gas. I've even tried using one gear higher, but that's not the solution. Ugh...I don't know what my problem is. I just had to quit my session and get this out of my system. I'll revisit this combo another day.

M235i_Racing_Imola-1.jpg

OMG. I can't believe how much difficulty I am having with this car. Admittedly, I probably have only logged 15 miles in the M235i Race Car - but that's no excuse... I've spent a fair amount of time on Imola, but you wouldn't know it based on the time I'm about to post. I swear, I might just turn on Traction Control if I can't knock a couple of seconds, at least, off this posted time. No...I wouldn't do that. I know that driving aids are allowed, but I'm personally trying to drive without TC and absolutely never will use the Stability Control.

I am trying to apply power lightly coming out of turns, but i either spin out or I get the rear end so upset that I have to completely come off the gas. I've even tried using one gear higher, but that's not the solution. Ugh...I don't know what my problem is. I just had to quit my session and get this out of my system. I'll revisit this combo another day.

View attachment 483970

View attachment 484000

Starts handling abit weird when I start to push it...
It is a tough car to control at the limit. The curbing really upsets the car too and once it starts to jump around, if you aren't heading in a straight line you often have to lift to regain control. I will post my tune tonight in case anyone wants to try it, and a video. It might be a little tamer with my tune but I don't believe there are any settings that really settle the car down completely.

EDIT: Tune attached below. I will also attach it to the video and it will be at the end of the video.
2015-11-23_00001.jpg

Attachments

• 202.655.zip
    322 bytes · Views: 16
abbf8021-7c2d-43f3-bb93-275b9b3b6117_zpsls2s8aio.jpg

Another track I haven't driven for ages. The car is an odd one, at times you can really push it, the first set of esses is so rewarding and I feel you can really push it here, even with the kerbs, I find it's lethal to go near the throttle if you've got a bit of rear slip. This lap was a bit scruffy in the middle sector, I've been a second faster there, but I was better in the first sector than any other time.

I'd like to hope I can get in to the 3s. 2s is impressive, Jonny.

I just did about 15 more laps - only had like 3 clean laps...Ugh...I just always do something wrong and mess up the lap. I know that one of my biggest problems is that I don't get back on the throttle quick enough, yet whenever I do get on the gas quickly I end up spinning. It is such a fine line. At least I knocked a bunch of time off. I'm still not thrilled with my laps yet, but I am much happier than I was compared to that first session. I can't believe how bad my times were then.

M235i_Racing_Imola-2.jpg

I quite liked this car when I tested it some time ago, but I never pushed it too hard. Any tips about what to watch out for? I remember it oversteering rather smoothly and I also recall cocking a wheel on the brakes when I tested it, but I barely pushed so I have no idea...

I quite liked this car when I tested it some time ago, but I never pushed it too hard. Any tips about what to watch out for? I remember it oversteering rather smoothly and I also recall cocking a wheel on the brakes when I tested it, but I barely pushed so I have no idea...
Curbs and 3rd gear corners are challenging, which means pretty much every corner is challenging. Once the rear is unsettled, forget about flooring the throttle, even in 4th you can lose the back end. Stay smooth, measured inputs with the steering and throttle especially.

Pardon what might be a silly question, but does this car actually have traction control? Or will that just be fake if I enable it in the game?

Right now I have traction control set to Factory. And I assume that means that if the car comes with traction control then it is enabled. And if the car doesn't come with traction control then it is not used?

Pardon what might be a silly question, but does this car actually have traction control? Or will that just be fake if I enable it in the game?

Right now I have traction control set to Factory. And I assume that means that if the car comes with traction control then it is enabled. And if the car doesn't come with traction control then it is not used?
Correct on the latter two points or at least that's how it supposed to work in AC. You can just turn them to "on" if you like as well.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/cars/new-car-reviews/1404-2014-bmw-m235i-racing-first-drive/

BMW M235i Racing Details:
  • Factory race variant | Fitted with rollcage, fuel cell and slicks
  • 333hp, 332 lb-ft N55 3.0L motor | Reprogrammed ZF eight-speed auto trans | Mechanical LSD
  • Widebody styling | Ideal for first-time race | Reliable
  • MSRP $82000 approx
Electronics:
  • Race-tuned steering, traction control, ABS and motor
  • Steering wheel-mounted info display
+ Pros: Purpose-built racer | Incredible chassis | Easy to use | Relatively affordable

- Cons: US delivery uncertain

I believe it does have traction control as standard. That being said, I highly recommend doing a few laps with it on and then switching it off... the car is so much fun with it off!

Did two runs today, first run was just to get to grips with the car. After about ten laps managed to get a decentish time. I was on course for a 2:03.xxx (low 2:03s) but I bodged it on the braking for the second to last corner... >.<

235iImola.png

I believe it does have traction control as standard. That being said, I highly recommend doing a few laps with it on and then switching it off... the car is so much fun with it off!

Did two runs today, first run was just to get to grips with the car. After about ten laps managed to get a decentish time. I was on course for a 2:03.xxx (low 2:03s) but I bodged it on the braking for the second to last corner... >.<
I have always struggled with consistency at Imola. That downhill braking zone into the second last corner kills many of my laps:yuck:. On a personal note, are you aware of the Inspector Gadget cartoon? Every time I see your name, the theme song from that show runs through my head:lol:

I am headed out of town tomorrow afternoon until at least Monday. I'll try my best to keep everything up to date as usual and release next week's combo on Sunday.

2015-11-24_00002.jpg

Sorry about being MIA on this Johnny, I stumbled across a league that is fantasticly very well organized (own mods 'bop', 1.5 hour race, all live streamed with announcers, etc.) and makes me feel slooooow as snot, even if I do a few good laps, the mistakes in a long race add up... These folks aren't gamers...

IM if you want more details, but I've certainly been humbled lol

I have always struggled with consistency at Imola. That downhill braking zone into the second last corner kills many of my laps:yuck:. On a personal note, are you aware of the Inspector Gadget cartoon? Every time I see your name, the theme song from that show runs through my head:lol:

Dun da daa da dun Inspector Gadget, dun da daa da dun do dooo xD

My main place I have been losing time was the turn before the chicane and the chicane itself. The one time I got the braking for that right, I blew it later haha

May try again later in the week. Question: what gear do you guys take the chicane in?2nd or 3rd?

Edit: apparently 3th is now a valid position. -_-

Last edited:
Might be hard to see on this screen, but the tire temps on the new Audi, on Semislicks after two laps at Spa were in the 80's on all 4 tires. Oh happy day!!! Unlike in the BMW M235i and other cars, the temps don't drop like a stone as soon as you hit a straight. The car is beautiful too, lift off and braking oversteer, a touch of high speed understeer as you might expect. This will definitely be out final street car of the challenge so practice up. Track to be determined....
2015-11-25_00006.jpg

Back