Assetto Corsa

Terronium-12

For My Mom, Always
United States
Brooklyn, NY
KR_Viper
I Renown I
This thread will document my ever-growing anticipation for this racing sim; being developed by Kunos Simulazioni, Assetto Corsa (or "AC") will have a full-fledged DX11 engine -- you know what? I'll skip the formalities and just dump the knowledge, taken from VirtualR:

Kunos Simulazioni has officially revealed their new simulation that will be released in 2012 – Assetto Corsa.

Following the first teaser that was released a week ago, the studio has revealed a first batch of previews and info on the new title. Assetto Corsa comes with plenty of innovations that have never been seen in any Kunos title before, including AI opponents and full modding support!

Assetto Corsa will be powered by a DirectX 11 graphics engine with state of the art post-processing effects like DOF & Blur. Content wise, the new simulation will offer plenty of licensed cars from all forms of circuit racing as well as laser-scanned tracks.

Main Features

DirectX 11 graphics engine
Advanced physics model
Accurate car dynamic modeling -Innovative artificial intellicence algorithms -Multiplayer races over the Internet
Fully customizable graphical user interface -Immersive 3D sounds
Official licensed cars (single seaters, Production, GT, GTR, historic F1 and GT cars, prototypes, and so on )
Official licensed tracks modeled using Laserscan technology (modern, historic, closed tracks, open courses)
Extensive support for user created mods

Below are first previews of Assetto Corsa as well as a teaser video. The previews show off the Imola circuit as well as the Fiat Abarth 500 an a historic Formula One racer.

The development of Assetto Corsa is funded by the earnings from netKar Pro & Ferrari Virtual Academy, Kunos asks sim racers who want to support their upcoming product by buying and enjoying these two titles.

Two weeks ago, Kunos Simulazioni revealed first details on their new Assetto Corsa title that is due to be released later this year.

Now, the team has released a first development update to keep sim racers up to date on the progress that’s being made. The report touches on various subjects, including sound & physics engine work as well as an interesting licensing teaser:

First working day of 2012 and a very heavy schedule for the Kunos Simulazioni team. Stefano has compiled a new version the deferred graphics engine, made some modifications on the physics engine and had a new idea on the sound engine particularly nice for all the modding guys out there.

Simone is working on the new deferred graphics engine, updating contents and generally making Marco constantly emitting “ohh” and “ahh” sounds while doing so.

Marco, on the other hand is trying to secure a very important and very secret licensing agreement… I could tell you more but then I’d have to kill you. Patience my friends, patience.

While doing this Marco is also organizing the teams work for the near future, extremely important work for the project. Aris is studying the physics modifications with a strangely satisfying smile, fixed in his face, while at the same time trying to understand the new very modular sound engine… Luciò is going to have some very nice toys to play with.

All of this at the first working day of 2012, without even counting the ongoing content creation… we just started warming up!

Asetto Corsa will be powered by a brand new DirectX 11 graphics engine and will come with advanced features such as blur & DOF. The title will offer extensive modding support as well as laser-scanned tracks and fully licensed cars as well as AI – A first for a Kunos title.

Been looking forward to this more than GTR 3 (before the teasers started). Laser scanned tracks? Innovative AI algorithms? Modular sound engine?

Yes, please.

I hate not having money to do a PC build(hopefully my tax return will be good).

That is all.

Stefano and his team where kind enough to answer some questions :-)

1. How extensive will damage be? ( engine damage, clutch damage, brake damage, flat spots on tyres, tyre punctures etc.)?

Mechanical damage is easy to implement and it will be there. The hard part is to find the right balance between damage model and playability. It's quite easy to say "if you treat the gearbox bad it'll brake" but finding the mathematical definitio for "treat bad" is tricky and the risk is waste time on feature that nobody will see (ie. damage is too low) or end up with races full of DNF if you get it wrong on the other side. As with most other features in AC, they'll be in the public version only if we are 100% confident they work and they improve the experience.

2. Will there be any form of car customization (different exhausts, tyre types etc.)?

Aris loves this stuff, we have spoken about it and came out with a plan. But, again, we're back into "when it's done" area.

3. Will there be any kind of multiplayer championship event creator with and if so what can we expect?

Oh surely not. That's what we consider the community's responsability. There is no way we can develop the simulator and these kind of management systems.

4. Can we expect Assetto Corsa to be released for next gen consoles?

I'd love it. But to get to console you need to be backed by a producer and we don't have one and we are not actively looking for one.

5. Where do you think is your advantage over your competition, iracing, rfactor2?

No idea. We do things our way. If we have any advantage I'd like to hear that from the users, we go 200% to do our best work at any part of the software, that's all we can do about it.

6. What is the limit on number of cars in multiplayer?

There is no hardcoded number as we had for netKar. The practical number will be something to discover once the sim is out.

7. Will there be dedicated servers, and possibility to rent dedicated servers?

Our company is not structured to provide that kind of web services. The system will be identical to netKar PRo with a dedicated server software.

8. What option can we expect for creating online tournaments/championships?

This looks a lot like question 3... the answer is the same. Our plan is ot output/export as much data as possible from the server in order to allow 3rd parties to use these infos to manage their leagues.

9. Will you port nKP tracks to AC such as Trento Bondone hillclimbe. Osella hillclimbe and other tracks

No plans for that. I'd rather have the team work on new content than converting stuff from a 2006 simulator. I think running @Aviano with nk graphics when you can run at Monza with AC graphics is quite a silly idea. Anyway, Trento Bondone is so much appreciated that we could plan to bring it in as bonus track, even if we are totally focused on the new -laserscanned- tracks.

10. How have you approached AI development given that this is the first time you are included it.

As I approach everything else, by experimenting and finding what can work and can't work. I am working with a young programmer and we sort of split the development where I went for a more traditional and dedicated approach to race AI and he went for a more university research approach with neural network and all those cool stuff. At the end my code path was the winner and we went with a more traditional approach, so AC's AI isn't going to start WW3 nor hijack a space ship :P

11. Will data telemetry software be available for windows phone7(8) also?

I don't know. Even if we don't release it, we'll release all the infos to let the community code it by themselves.

12. Is the cost per track higher for laser scanned track compared to traditional track modeling?

There is the cost of the laser scan that adds up. But the development is much more linear and predictable because there is no need to get into the "hm.. from the video this hill looks more hill and this corner looks less corner and this bump looks more bump, the road is too wide, my cousin told me so" :P The laser scan is a unquestionable final word to all these doubts :)

13. Can we expect official DLC from Kunos Simulazioni beside cars or track that will modding community offer.

We have more content license than we can produce right now, so I think additional content from us is a very solid possibility for the future.

14. Will AC have features such as manually starting the car, and other cool features (for Hardcore sim racers)?

At the moment we don't have those and nobody in the team seem to miss those features.

15. What are the main obstacles when modeling tyres?

The main obastacle is that nobody understand what's going and on nobody seem to be able to figure out a consistent and reliable way to test them... so it remains pretty much a black art.

Thank you Kunos Simulazioni

15. What are the main obstacles when modeling tyres?

The main obastacle is that nobody understand what's going and on nobody seem to be able to figure out a consistent and reliable way to test them... so it remains pretty much a black art.

You would almost forget how hard that really is! Looking forward to try this game :)

Sorry to bump the thread here, but here's the most recent tech preview.

I'd love to try it, but I'm currently missing my rig. ;_;
It's back home and I've kinda had an impromptu move...

Edit: I almost forgot; AC's currently on Steam Greenlight. Just FYI.

did this thread die ? assetto corsa multiplayer is now in operation (albeit alpha) throw GT5/6 in the fisher price bin and come play a SIM !

Edit : I am rolling as 2hats on AC :) see u on the black stuff !

As kikie asked (reported): why is my thread here and not the AC forum? :lol:

EDIT: Fixed.

Back