Assists in Sport mode?

• Thread starter gungrounds
  • 13 comments
Croatia
CroTeam HQ, Zagreb, Croatia
Hi everyone, so I was trying to play the game with all the assists turned off, but I noticed others are having a bit better times, even though they do crazy things on the track (like ramming into others constantly :)). So I turned back on the assists, and my times and chances to win the race improved greatly.
Which made me thinking, on one hand playing without assists is more fun, and more realistic, but currently I don't have skills to progress in Sports mode this way.
My knowledge of assists is really limited, so I am planning to find more information on how it actually helps while driving.

I was wondering how do you approach this, do you use assists if they are available? Are there gonna be races in Sports mode where assists will be turned off by default?

*shrugs* I think it's down to which you enjoy the most. If all-out speed is what you absolutely HAVE to have then use assists. If you enjoy driving without them, don't use them.

The game will place you against similar speed drivers as long as you are consistent, so it doesn't really affect your 'progress' through sport mode.

I think assists slow you down once you get near your limit. Practice makes perfect :D

Agreed. I use TC on selected cars and ABS on weak, but everything else off. I feel the stability and countersteering help slows me down.

But to each his own, whatever gives you the most joy of the game. After all, that is the point of it all, to have fun with the game :)

Agreed. I use TC on selected cars and ABS on weak, but everything else off. I feel the stability and countersteering help slows me down.

But to each his own, whatever gives you the most joy of the game. After all, that is the point of it all, to have fun with the game :)
That's a really good point and to be honest I think a lot of people lose sight of that very basic fact.

If you're having fun, who cares? It's worth remembering :D

Assists give you more consistency, helping you make less catastrophic mistakes. If those catastrophic mistakes are costing you a lot of time, those aids will make you faster. As you learn better car control, those same assists are going to prevent you from capitalizing on full control of the car and ultimately slow you down. TC will prevent you from accelerating too early and prevent you from creating oversteer on purpose to better position the car, for example. IMO they also ultimately prevent you from learning car control because they are like throwing a safety blanket over the physics engine, never allowing you to get up to and beyond the limits so you can, in turn, learn your own limits.

Everyone should use whatever aids they prefer of course. ABS is probably a given with the poor brake adjustment, lack of calibration and poor longitudinal grip properties of GTS.

If you can maintain adequate concentration and get a suitable setup, I think can be just as fast, if not faster than having the aids on.

That said, I find that it's best for me to do all testing and qualifying without the assists so I can make the car as stable as possible. Then, during the race, I will typically turn on at least ABS to weak. I have yet to feel the need to run TC but I haven't reached anything above Gr.4 yet either.

It's worth mentioning that I'm using a wheel. DS4 users may well have entirely different results.

I don't enjoying playing without some assists on N500-1000 cars. You are right, enjoyment is the most important thing in game. So for N500-1000 cars I will turn assists on.

Hi everyone, so I was trying to play the game with all the assists turned off, but I noticed others are having a bit better times, even though they do crazy things on the track (like ramming into others constantly :)). So I turned back on the assists, and my times and chances to win the race improved greatly.
Which made me thinking, on one hand playing without assists is more fun, and more realistic, but currently I don't have skills to progress in Sports mode this way.
My knowledge of assists is really limited, so I am planning to find more information on how it actually helps while driving.

I was wondering how do you approach this, do you use assists if they are available? Are there gonna be races in Sports mode where assists will be turned off by default?

It’s a game, we play in our spare time, play it how you enjoy it most.

Most players would benefit from using some aids, but they typically over rate thier own abilities and have a poor experience as a result.

Play how you get the most out of your time :)

Cone line is the BEST driver aid in the game.

Go to the driving options and it's under the driving line options. It marks brake points, apexes an exits. Follow the cones and you will be a hero in no time.

I say use whatever assists you want. As others said, it is a game and about having fun. I would recommend not using ASM however. All the rest, set them for what makes you comfortable and makes you enjoy the game the most. Who cares what others say about assists. As long as you are having fun, that is all that matters! Have fun and good luck!

Latest Posts

Back