''Astro photography'' lens decision

• Thread starter Michael88
  • 6 comments
Austria
Nicest part of hell
I need some pro help here!

I'm about to buy a budget lens for Astro/Night photography for my Fuji X-M1 and have to decide between a 34mm and a 24mm lens. My budget is tight so it has to be a Samyang / Walimex /Rokinon F1.4. (The Walimex is cheaper but its basically the same as the Samyang/Rokinon as far as I know)

I know with a 24mm I can have a longer shutter speed before the stars begin to distort compared to a bigger 34mm lens, (14 seconds vs 20 seconds) but the 34mm has the advantage of being significantly cheaper and more flexible (As general purpose lens) than the 24mm.
Would the 24mm be a lot better than the 34mm?
I know I'd have to use more ISO on the 34mm because of the lower shutter speed to get the same results but I can only guess how much.

What are your suggestions?

Last edited:
@Michael88 What lens did you get with the Fuji?

The 34mm will effectively be 54.4mm as the X-M1 is a crop sensor of 1.6 (same as my X-E1). Just wandering if you factored this in to you purchase?

Well, crap. For some reason I was completely sure that the sensor format was a full frame, not an APS-C. I didn't even think about that at all. Maybe it will still work with the 34mm with some extra ISO, if not I'll have to get the 24mm after all, or maybe even a 14mm.

Ah man, this sucks royally. :indiff:

Well, crap. For some reason I was completely sure that the sensor format was a full frame, not an APS-C. I didn't even think about that at all. Maybe it will still work with the 34mm with some extra ISO, if not I'll have to get the 24mm after all, or maybe even a 14mm.

Ah man, this sucks royally. :indiff:

Oh sorry to be the barer of bad news. At least youcan check it out and see.

Latest Posts

Back