At least four dead in California shooting

• Thread starter Obelisk
  • 24 comments
We weren't even finished discussing the previous tragic mass killing. I hate that this is a thing, and I wonder whether it's actually happening more often or just being reported more often. It's haunting that people are capable of this, especially when it comes to school children. What kind of inhuman...

We weren't even finished discussing the previous tragic mass killing. I hate that this is a thing, and I wonder whether it's actually happening more often or just being reported more often. It's haunting that people are capable of this, especially when it comes to school children. What kind of inhuman...

According to this article from October, it looks like they're roughly as common as they were all the way back to the 80's. However, per the article, the death toll from those shootings is rising.

Somehow I'm on the Senator Feinstein mailing list for California (probably because I lived there). She sent out an update regarding her assault weapons legislation today. I suppose that could be coincidence? Previous update was Oct. 10 just after Vegas. Before that it was Jun 30 about something else.

I understand what she's trying to do. She's trying to let people know that she's in touch with current events and is making progress in what she feels will help stop bad things from happening (or at least, that's what she says it will do). What it looks like to me is immediate politicizing before the details are even available. I guess these days we don't even have to pause to figure out what happened before we suggest the solution.

It looks like this is another case of a domestic dispute that turned into a mass killing spree (4 people so far). Maybe a similar story to the recent Texas killer. The California killer had at least some history with the police in the area.

It looks like this is another case of a domestic dispute that turned into a mass killing spree (4 people so far). Maybe a similar story to the recent Texas killer. The California killer had at least some history with the police in the area.

They've released his name as Kevin Janssen Neal, 43. He was currently being prosecuted for a stabbing and an assault apparently with some neighbors.

According to this article from October, it looks like they're roughly as common as they were all the way back to the 80's. However, per the article, the death toll from those shootings is rising.
I'm wondering if it's due to less training in handling the shootings, more ground to cover or are we hearing more about this now due to the 24 hour news and social media cycle?

30 years ago you got your news at 6PM, and the next morning's newspaper might have more recent information on those stories. With 24-hour "news," you have faces (not journalists, and not reporters, but pretty faces) scrambling to fill air time and make themselves more important in the viewer's perception by getting it out first. I'm convinced that get-it-first instead of get-it-right is the priority these days. You can't sell commercials if everyone's tuned in to somewhere else actually covering the story, even if it's just with rumor and conjecture. I can't tell you how many times I've heard something like, "We are trying to verify reports that blah blah blah." They just reported something they know nothing about, satisfied the lawyers by saying "trying to verify," but what it's about and what everyone hears is "blah blah blah."

There is also the fact the it's so much easier to get information out there. Instead of someone from Associated Press catching something on a radio scanner or getting a call from a local source he maintains, and then AP going through its process, anyone with a cell phone (which means anyone, since who doesn't have one?) can upload something to their TV station's web site, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, or wherever, and it gets out there and covered. It's not just 24-hour news, it's 5 billion more sources.

Finally, I think there is a sense of a wider "neighborhood" these days, which goes along with the fact that everyone with a phone is a potential news source. The shootings wouldn't make your local news 30 years ago, but nowadays everyone knows about them within minutes, and they can't help but react with their opinions and agendas. I just wonder why I've never heard Senator Feinstein rant about drunk driving after someone kills a family by going the wrong way on a freeway or something. You wanna save lives, lady, do something about drunks on the road; you'll get tens of thousands more lives saved.

They've released his name as Kevin Janssen Neal, 43. He was currently being prosecuted for a stabbing and an assault apparently with some neighbors.
One of the national news stations reporting on this said the man had prior runs in with the police as well as previously made threats with his roommates, but nobody did anything? That alone is becoming a growing problem in this country and it's not just with gun violence. The same report said those charges would bar him from gun ownership, but he was found with 3 weapons on him. I'm interested in knowing how he got them, but it's more than likely growing in my mind that he had them before his run-ins.

Reports are now sawing that no children are among the dead.
That's a blessing at least, also that only one student was wounded as far as I've read.

Last edited:
There appears to be a glitch in the matrix:

Edit: live link and tweet finally taken down but screenshots still survive.

Screenshot_20171115-102032.png

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the national news stations reporting on this said the man had prior runs in with the police as well as previously made threats with his roommates, but nobody did anything? That alone is becoming a growing problem in this country and it's not just with gun violence. The same report said those charges would bar him from gun ownership, but he was found with 3 weapons on him. I'm interested in knowing how he got them, but it's more than likely growing in my mind that he had them before his run-ins.

I don't think charges and reasonable suspicion are enough to confiscate firearms unless there is an actual conviction. Innocent until proven guilty type of deal. I agree that he should have not had firearms but I'll wait to see if they were purchased legally or something else. Rural Northern California is nothing like what most imagine of California when they see tall buildings, densely populated large cities, palm trees, traffic etc. It's basically like rural Texas where there might be 5 cops patrolling a 100 mile area. Lots of things to fall through the cracks. I'm sure the DA is unequipped to handle the amount of petty to serious crime that happens. This guy somehow made the 300K bail and was free to roam. I think it'll probably be another case of "yeah we knew about him but didn't really monitor him" type of thing.

Edited to add - Hearing this guy was from North Carolina and came to California 7 years ago. So it's also possible that California authorities were not aware of said firearm existence if they were purchased in NC and illegally imported into California without the mandatory registration CA requires on all handguns and now long guns.

Last edited:
Ok, information came out that the Judge barred him from firearm ownership because of the stabbing charge and also as a condition of anyone with a restraining order against them which is California Law and possibly Federal Law but I'm not sure on the latter. The woman he stabbed had a protection order against him. He was also found to be in possession of an illegal Assault Rifle which basically means in California that he had one that did not conform to California law of having a device that made a tool required to to be able to remove the magazine and an ammunition feeding device that held more than the state mandated 10 round limitation. How he was able to use guns in the spree is unknown whether obtained illegally or a massive failure by Law Enforcement.

ETA - Rifle used was "homemade" and the 2 handguns were registered to someone else. Another homemade rifle found at the house along with his wife's dead body who had multiple gunshot wounds. He cut a hole in the floor of their house and put her body in there and covered it up.

Last edited:
Ok, information came out that the Judge barred him from firearm ownership because of the stabbing charge and also as a condition of anyone with a restraining order against them which is California Law and possibly Federal Law but I'm not sure on the latter. The woman he stabbed had a protection order against him. He was also found to be in possession of an illegal Assault Rifle which basically means in California that he had one that did not conform to California law of having a device that made a tool required to to be able to remove the magazine and an ammunition feeding device that held more than the state mandated 10 round limitation. How he was able to use guns in the spree is unknown whether obtained illegally or a massive failure by Law Enforcement.

ETA - Rifle used was "homemade" and the 2 handguns were registered to someone else. Another homemade rifle found at the house along with his wife's dead body who had multiple gunshot wounds. He cut a hole in the floor of their house and put her body in there and covered it up.

It looks like one of the victims that survived drew a gun defensively but was not able to use it before he fled. He drove his truck the through the gates of an elementary school which went on lockdown. He was unable to enter the school and started shooting at it from outside (hitting one of the kids non-lethally). Speculation is that had the school not locked quickly this situation would have been so much worse. Maybe a repercussion of Sandyhook.

This 'stick tried to murder a school full of children. That was one of his first stops, after murdering his neighbors... a school full of kids. :mad:

He followed that up by crashing into a car, shooting both people in it (one survived), shooting the guy who stopped to help him, and stealing that guy's car.

I'm so glad that school acted fast enough to keep this guy out. I don't know how they did that. Somebody is a hero there.

It looks like one of the victims that survived drew a gun defensively but was not able to use it before he fled. He drove his truck the through the gates of an elementary school which went on lockdown. He was unable to enter the school and started shooting at it from outside (hitting one of the kids non-lethally). Speculation is that had the school not locked quickly this situation would have been so much worse. Maybe a repercussion of Sandyhook.

This 'stick tried to murder a school full of children. That was one of his first stops, after murdering his neighbors... a school full of kids. :mad:

He followed that up by crashing into a car, shooting both people in it (one survived), shooting the guy who stopped to help him, and stealing that guy's car.

I'm so glad that school acted fast enough to keep this guy out. I don't know how they did that. Somebody is a hero there.
The school my son goes to, every outside door has magnetic "locks".
A simple push of a button or flip of a switch locks down the school.
It's protocol to lock down schools here if any violent incident occurs.
Also you can only enter through the main entrance during class hours. You have to go in one door explain why you're there then go through another locked door if they let you in.
I don't know how it is in rural areas but our schools are locked down like a jail.

I can't speak for other states/districts.

Last edited:
Well sadly when it seems to happen each week, can you blame the old man when he gets confused?
Do y'all think he types every Tweet? I'd assume he has someone do it for him.
His posts are word for word on Facebook...

The school my son goes to, every outside door has magnetic "locks".
A simple push of a button or flip of a switch locks down the school.
It's protocol to lock down schools here if any violent incident occurs.
Also you can only enter through the main entrance during class hours. You have to go in one door explain why you're there then go through another locked door if they let you in.
I don't know how it is in rural areas but our schools are locked down like a jail.

I can't speak for other states/districts.
My high school didn't have magnetic locks, however after I graduated the school was demolished and completely redone so it looks a lot nicer than it did before. I haven't been back to see what kind of system it has but it wouldn't surprise me if it included this.

CTRL+A, CTRL+C and CTRL+V are nice key combos that I am sure the old coot loves.

I've heard that he dictates them, though I don't know if that's true or not.

I didn't know he had killed his wife, I'm also surprised people claim he was firing guns at his house late at night and no one bothered to report it.(I assume as it doesn't mention any police)

Says the Sheriff was called multiple times but didn't do anything about it and kept reverting it back to the Homeowner's Association.

I've heard that he dictates them, though I don't know if that's true or not.
I'm sure he'd like people to believe he's important enough to have someone to type and send out the mindless tweets he dictates instead of sitting on his couch at 2 in the morning with a phone in one hand and a TiVo remote in the other as he watches recorded CNN with his ears trained on the sound of his name. The sad thing is that he is important enough to have someone to type and send out the mindless tweets he dictates instead of sitting on his couch at 2 in the morning with a phone in one hand and a TiVo remote in the other as he watches recorded CNN with his ears trained on the sound of his name. #priorities

I'm sure he'd like people to believe he's important enough to have someone to type and send out the mindless tweets he dictates instead of sitting on his couch at 2 in the morning with a phone in one hand and a TiVo remote in the other as he watches recorded CNN with his ears trained on the sound of his name. The sad thing is that he is important enough to have someone to type and send out the mindless tweets he dictates instead of sitting on his couch at 2 in the morning with a phone in one hand and a TiVo remote in the other as he watches recorded CNN with his ears trained on the sound of his name. #priorities

"I've heard the news about this terrible shooting. Tweet 'May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs.'"
"Suh... Sutherland Springs? Don't you mean C-"
"Hey! You heard me. Just write the tweet already. They've mentioned me four times in the last 10 minutes and I need to know how many times per hour this FAKE NEWS is obsessed with me."

Latest Posts

Back