I am considering buying the Fanatec GT3 with standard pedals. I have a few events remaining but I play every day arcade mode, online and sometimes splitscreen with friends. I ask this because if I buy one at this point, maybe it will get outdated for a near GT6 launch (hypothesis). So Is this a good moment for buying a wheel just for GT5? Please, give your opinion.
Not sure if I would by the Fanatec. I started out with the Logitech DFP and have progressed to the Logitech G25 which works just fine in GT5 along with the PC sim driving games called rfactor and IRACING.
As far as racing wheels are concerned you get what you pay for and I think you would be better off getting a better quality wheel that will last you years and not just a season of heavy use.
A wheel changes everything, the DS3 can not compare to a wheel. I bought the DFGT for GT5 and it changed the way I look at driving games, no longer in my rotation are midnight club and NFS now I play GT5 and F1-2011 exclusively. I'm actually ordering a fanatec next paycheck because I want to clutch.
When I first got GT5 I played for almost a month with the DS3 and beat most of the A-spec events with it. When I got the wheel I went back thru a-spec to experience it again. With the controller I would always max out a car and beat the AI with brute force and racing softs now I try to pick a car that is a bit slower than the best AI car and win it in the corners.
I would strongly reccomend to buy a steering wheel. I bought my G27 for GT5p and it is a totally different experience driving with a wheel.
From what I read the thrustmaster is probably the best wheel, and the clubsport the best pedals available.
When it comes to value for money I would go for a G27. Then you get a good leather wrapped wheel with a 6 speed shifter and clutch on the pedal set.
I am utterly happy with my G27, only drawback is the lack of possibility to re map the buttons on the steering wheel.
Read around in the forums and see wich wheel set matches your preferances and price level.
Yes, you will enjoy the game even more than you do now. If you buy a Fanatec or other high end wheel it will be good for years to come. Even the Driving Force GT will be a good wheel.
Remeber, you can always go back and re-race the whole game with cars that are challenging. I have a g27 + cockpit and would never go back to a controller. Since you play online and do arcade mode, I can gaurantee you'll be loving it. I would recommend a wheel over an HD tv to be honest for racing games. I'm not big on graphic display though.
Thanks for replying. I am considering various options, I have converted euros to dollars so that you recomend what you think is the best option. These prices are increased because of the conversion. What do you think is the best taking into acount the price (but also the quality)?
I have played the GT series from the beginning, exclusively with the controller. I got a wheel yesterday and it makes the whole game different. way more immersive ... wish i had bought one a long long time ago.
I just got my G27 last week and I can definitely say that it feels like a completely new game. I still cannot drive fast cars decently with the wheel but ended up redoing the licenses test to hopefully learn the wheel better. I'm definitely Golding my silver events fairly easier with the wheel. Still feels slightly awkward but feeling better everyday.
If you are getting a wheel just/primarily for GT5, then I suggest you get a compatible wheel. It's much less awkward to use a wheel with buttons that work.
I have a G27 and my wife uses a DFGT. Hers is much better for this game even though the G27 feels better.
I think the Thrustmaster is supposed to be a premium wheel, so you might want to consider one of those.
Well as you only what to play GT5 with a wheel, and you have 90+% complete, maybe a DFGT would be the best oftion considering the price/ quality. However, there are lots of games out there, and even more coming soon, so if money is not a problem and you are also thinking in the future, maybe the Fanatec or even the Thrustmaster would be an option.
BTW I don't have a wheel, or better I have one but I don't play with it (it's broken), so about the real quality of the wheels I can't say much...just trying to help
I use a G27 and its amazing. GT5 doesn't fully support it which is ridiculous but only a few of the buttons don't work. It feels very realistic, can never race with a controller again.