Atari console

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 11 comments

Novalee

(Banned)
Canada
Earth
https://www.t3.com/us/news/atari-new-console-2020

Seems like Atari is coming out with a updated console .

"In terms of operating system for the games console, the Atari VCS uses a Linux OS and comes pre-installed with "tons of classic Atari retro games" as well as "current titles from a range of studios"."

"Interestingly, though, the Atari VCS differs from a standard games console in the fact that it offers a dedicated PC Mode. This means that you can install a secondary operating system like Windows on a bootable external USB and use the VCS as a home computer, too."

Last edited:
Will all the games they buried in the desert after singlehandedly collapsing the video game market in the 80's be on it though?

Last edited:
It should be noted that they're only just now planning to ship the consoles promised to Indeigogo backers. Units for sale to the general public are as of yet not available or even built, to anyone's knowledge.

And considering this has been stuck in development hell for about three years, has had key people quit the project because they weren't getting paid and has been repeatedly criticized for poor choices of hardware and production methods, I'm not really expecting we'll see anymore than what they've already got.

It should be noted that they're only just now planning to ship the consoles promised to Indeigogo backers. Units for sale to the general public are as of yet not available or even built, to anyone's knowledge.

And considering this has been stuck in development hell for about three years, has had key people quit the project because they weren't getting paid and has been repeatedly criticized for poor choices of hardware and production methods, I'm not really expecting we'll see anymore than what they've already got.
So Sony should be really worried as the article headline implies lol.

I've got a couple of old Ataris gathering dust up in the attic, a classic 2600 and a later 5200, along with a bunch of cartridges that i bought off ebay maybe a decade ago. As much as i thought i'd get all teary-eyed over playing those classic titles once more, the novelty wears off really quickly. Even having those games more easily accessible via various MAME apps doesn't make me want to play them any more frequently. So i'm not seeing that 'tons of classic Atari retro games' line as much of a selling point in the long run.

I've got a couple of old Ataris gathering dust up in the attic, a classic 2600 and a later 5200, along with a bunch of cartridges that i bought off ebay maybe a decade ago. As much as i thought i'd get all teary-eyed over playing those classic titles once more, the novelty wears off really quickly. Even having those games more easily accessible via various MAME apps doesn't make me want to play them any more frequently. So i'm not seeing that 'tons of classic Atari retro games' line as much of a selling point in the long run.
One of the main selling points to backers was that they were going to use modern hardware that would be powerful enough to run modern PC games, or be easily modified to work as a media center device. But the hardware they went with was underpowered when the project started three years ago and is not likely to run anything made recently, and there are much cheaper and more convenient options for building a media center. The whole retrogaming aspect is really more of a nostalgia cash grab.

Back