Attempting the 24h Le Mans - Peugeot 908 - LIVE

• Thread starter Loss
  • 12 comments
Norway
South
** - I will try to come with updates as often as i can

Logitech G27 and an IKEA chair. It works just great.

NO DRIVING AIDS EXCEPT FOR ANTI LOCK BREAKS SET TO 1

2h.32m.41sek - Lap 42 Where I start to "blog" about the race
1. Place - Leading with 2 minutes +/-
Lapping around 3.30 - Best time: 3.25,9xx
First hours going great, no problems. Some spin-outs. Yet to see a rain drop. Dry as a camel here.

Lap 42-* My fingers are num and I actually have a hard time typing this. I am also quite cold, cause i live in Norway and as i all know Norway is cold as **** and also the land of viking and polar bears are our pet's here. I believe the "numness" comes from my very own Logitech G27. It is constantly in movement and I happen to be a quite HARD man. With that I mean if i grab something I hold it as hard as i can and other stuff like that. (exeption:Penis)
-Right now i am just having a break to get the feeling in my fingers back and also to do the important stuff in the toilet. Planning on running up to midnight, maybe more.

Lap 45-Pitting. Span out twice during the lap.
Lap 46-Lead dropped to 1m30sek
Lap 48-Leading 2min49sek. The Audi (second place) must have pitted.
Lap 51-Pitting
Lap 57-Pitting again. Lead - 3.40sec before pit
Lap 58- 3h33m23sec in the race. The sun is on its way down.
Lap 63- Now leading with one lap. No longer cold. I am in a happy mood right now, listening to norwegian comedian-radio and drinking URGE. The clock is half past midnight and i am still going.
Lap 65-pitting
Lap 70-Pitting and Saving, its getting darker - 4h17m30sec - The clock is 01:15

New day, continuing
Lap 77-Pitting again.
Lap 78-Weather is still SUNSHINE, and i hope it stays like that. The sun has been shining all the time, though it is about to go down now.
Lap 83-Pitting. The sun is down, headlights are on. Complete dark
Lap 89-Pitting. Fireworks are starting
Lap 96-Pitting with 4liters of fuel left. Still fireworks. Leading with 1 lap
Lap 101-Pitting and Saving.

Starting again.
Lap 108-Pitting. Played 6h39m37sec - 1,5h in the dark, looking forward to some sunlight already
Lap 115-Pitting.
Lap 121-Pitting. I've been running Medium tyres in front and Hard on the back. Still dry as a camel and dark as a darkthing.
Lap 124- Finally I see the -2lap. Been waiting for that one
Lap 127-Pitting
Lap 133-Pitting. It has also started raining. saving and quitting
Lap 142-Pitting
Lap 148-Pitting. Raining more and more now. Up to 7% and rising. Can't say i like it :P
Lap 154-Pitting. It's not raining as much now. Down to 2% now.
Lap 160-Pitting. Completely stopped raining. 9h45min played. 5hours in the dark now. Looking forward to some sunlight. Leading increased to -3 lap due to great driving, few spinouts
Lap 165-Pitting again. Stupid of me, spinning my tires all the time
Lap 171-Pitting.
Lap 176-Pitting and saving

Starting again
Lap 182-Pitting
Lap 187-Pitting
Lap 194-Pitting soon 12h. Leading -4laps now.
Lap 200-Pitting and saving
Lap 205-Pitting. Changing to rain tyres for first time. 12h30min. Afraid i'm going to loose the amazing sunrise everybody is talking about.
Lap 209-Changing to Intermediate
Lap 215-Ran out of fuel. Stupid of me. Luckily it was almost at the end so i didnt loose that much time on it.
Lap 222-Pitting to fill more fuel. Intermediate tyres last forever! Still raining 100% but i prefer the intermediate tyres.
Lap 229-Pitting. All lighten up.
Lap 237-Pitting.
Lap 242-Pitting and saving.

Starting Again.
Lap 253-Still raining in buckets! 100% wet and it has been like that for some hours now. Getting sick of the rain. Though i seems like i am much quicker than the Audi in the wet. My lead is now increased to 8laps.
Lap 254-Pitting
Lap 263-Pitting. STILL raining. 16h27min02sec
Lap 273-Pitting and saving

New day
Lap 280-Pitting
Lap 289-Pitting. AND raining just as much as ever before. 18h12min.
Lap 297-Pitting
Lap 305-Pitting
Lap 313-Pitting and saving.

starting again
Lap 322-Pitting. 20h30m still raining...
Lap 328-Pitting
Lap 337-Pitting
Lap 344-Pitting
Lap 352-Pitting
Lap 359-Pitting 23h04min now!
Lap 366-Pitting. This will be my last. 27min left
LAP 372 FINISH- WON WITH 10 LAPS OVER THE AUDI R8 RACE CAR 01. Finally over! But i have to say, i enjoyed every minute of it, even though it rained most of the time. WHAT an experience.

Last edited:
6 hours in it was totally dark, a few hours before then it gets darker

the sun moves west - as you turn right at Mulsanne you will notice the ligh reflecting onto the tarmac move more and more then the light will drop off.

Okay, nice to know.
To be honest I'm not really looking forward to driving in the dark, but I guess I'll get used to it :)

For how long is it dark?

Dunno my car broke down at the 6 hour mark. It is run in summer in France - so a long day - short night (Not as extreme as Tromso though) - I think you get 6 hours of solid dark... and 3 hours either side of dusk/dawn - the sunrise is said to be worth staying awake for... yeah, eyes on the road. Worst bit is Mulsanne to Indianapolis as it is very dark and narrow there.

good fortune

----

Tell us about your car. Is it fresh out of the showroom. A Prize ticket you cashed in. Have you modified the car?
Set up used?
What driver aids are you using, not using.
Any mid race thoughts about the set up - wish you had shorter gears, are the brakes a bit eager when you really slow down to a 2nd gear corner.

Tyres and pitting info. Are you losing alot of time on the inlap when you pit due to the tyre degridation - are you pitting early to prevent this.

Warning - I've read here, that after a save the weather can have a sudden change of heart... so don't be surpised if it starts to rain on you...

Last edited:
Okay, nice to know.
To be honest I'm not really looking forward to driving in the dark, but I guess I'll get used to it :)

For how long is it dark?

As I've found out (see my own thread) no matter how well you know the circuit in the daytime in the dark it's something totally different. Moral - before I do the Nurburgring 24 hour I'll practice at night as well as day. It took me well over an hour to get my night times down to those of the day.

Ryk
----
Tell us about your car. Is it fresh out of the showroom. A Prize ticket you cashed in. Have you modified the car?
Set up used?
What driver aids are you using, not using.
Any mid race thoughts about the set up - wish you had shorter gears, are the brakes a bit eager when you really slow down to a 2nd gear corner.

Tyres and pitting info. Are you losing alot of time on the inlap when you pit due to the tyre degridation - are you pitting early to prevent this.

Warning - I've rad that after a save the weather can have a sudden change of heart... so don't be surpised if it starts to rain on you...

The car i'm using is the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP. I've lengthened the sixth and last gear ratio just a bit so i can reach higher speed if i get caught in a slip-stream. Other than that no mods. I simply bought it from the dealership-->Peugeot

I've tried to "synchronize" the pitting with the car in second place. (About every 6-7 laps)

To be honest, i am not very happy about the breaks..

Ryk
Warning - I've read here, that after a save the weather can have a sudden change of heart... so don't be surpised if it starts to rain on you...

I've also read that, but every time i start over again it is the same weather. Maybe they have patched it? Seems so to me.

Keep on trucking.
Running out of fuel. Bet your pit crew loved having to push your car back to the pits to fuel her up again.

Ryk
Keep on trucking.
Running out of fuel. Bet your pit crew loved having to push your car back to the pits to fuel her up again.

Haha! A stupid stupid stupid mistake of me. All that happens is that you car can only go 80km/h from the point you run out of fuel till you have filled up again ;) Could have been MUCH worse, so I will consider myself quite lucky.

That is good (Still watching it) Jason Statham, must be some Audi Ambassador after the last two Transporter films.

I guess You tube will have plentyof 24hour race doccumentrys to pick from.

http://jalopnik.com/5872404/this-is-why-the-nurburgring-24+hour-race-is-ridiculously-awesome

this was pretty good for nurby 24^

In GT TV on the PS3 you can watch Kaz's Nurby 24hour experience in two parts... quite good. (He looked silly trying to drive in 3rd person view though.)

I prefer to run a vehicle that doesn't blow the opposition away. Maybe next time, if there is a next time, detune it to better suite

Back