ATV History/Off Road-Motorcycle Forum

Messages
81
Ok i think its time for a ATV/Offroad motorcycle thread! :)

Does anyone have either? :) :)

Anyone got pictures? :) :) :)

Also: some interesting History on ATV's DID YOU KNOW:

1967: Honda, at the request of its U.S. division, begins working on a new product dealers could sell when motorcycle sales cool off in the winter.


1970: Honda introduces the first all-terrain vehicle. The three-wheeled US90 had a seven horsepower engine. It sells for $595.


1975: Honda improves its wheels and tires, making them less vulnerable to punctures.


1979: Yamaha introduces its first ATV, the YT125.


1981: Honda introduces the first high-performance two-stroke ATV adapted from motocross technology. Kawasaki introduces its first ATV, the KTL200-A1.


1982: Suzuki introduces its first ATVs, including the first four-wheeled ATV. It has an odometer, five forward speeds plus reverse.


1984: Yamaha and Honda begin selling four-wheeled ATVs.


1985: Polaris Industries of Medina becomes the first North American company to enter the ATV business, introducing snowmobile technology such as automatic transmissions to replace manual gearboxes. Kawasaki offers its first four-wheeled ATV.


1987: Polaris offers improved brakes and automatic four-wheel drive, replacing manual four-wheel drive.


1988: ATV manufacturers agree to stop selling three-wheeled s after the U.S. government raised safety concerns. The industry launches safety programs to train drivers.


1989: Kawasaki introduces its first with four-wheel-drive, the Bayou 300 4x4.


1993: Kawasaki offers the first 400cc engine.


1995: Arctic Cat, based in Thief River Falls, Minn., begins production of ATVs.


1996: Arctic Cat ATVs go on sale.


1998: ardier of Montreal begins selling ATVs.


2000: Honda introduces a 500cc engine and continuously variable transmission.


2001: Polaris offers a 683cc engine, the largest ever, on its Sportsman . It sells for $7,399.
Source: Polaris Industries, Arctic Cat and the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America.

I Had to post some Suzuki pictures considering they were the first on 4 wheels as far as ATV and also just because there the best maker of recreational toys! :)
 

Attachments

  • LTA700XK5_ayellow_ffea1f.jpg
    LTA700XK5_ayellow_ffea1f.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
  • RMZ450K5.jpg
    RMZ450K5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 6
I recently bought a new dirt bike...well 2 dirt bikes. I have 2 YZF 250 with all the little extras on em. Great dirt bikes. Although I do miss my 125 which got owned by a tree.
 
I have a couple of old Suzuki's! I also have 78 Kawasaki KM100. The motorcycle is in very nice condition. I'll post some pictures tommorow. 👍
 
Motocross and Supermoto (and just bikes in general) is what I'm interested in.
I don't really like ATV's. I've ridden them and it just seems...wrong. Maybe it's because I'm trying to compare it to a car or a bike, but the weight balance just seems off.


That said...Bubba Stewart is the man.



whip2.jpg


062304bubbalg.jpg



It's completely unreal what he can do on a bike. If he stays healthy, nobody will be able to touch him.

Jeremy McGrath is still my favorite rider though. Long live the King of Supercross.

mcgrath_jeremy.jpg





-Mark
 
I still say the best bikes on the market are the Yamaha's...although the Kawasaki's are starting to impress me. I really want to ride one.

I dislike Suzuki, I just didn't feel right on there bikes. They just felt all wrong compared to the Yamaha's.

I want to get my ass on a KTM as well, to try it out and see what its like.
 
BlazinXtreme
I recently bought a new dirt bike...well 2 dirt bikes. I have 2 YZF 250 with all the little extras on em. Great dirt bikes. Although I do miss my 125 which got owned by a tree.


HAHA that really sucks but yea i think 125's are perfect unless you want to be a wild SOB then you go up from there lol .......... but yea 3 years ago on new years eve i did a wheely into a tree, broke my arm, and totally screwed my atv, but it wasnt anything a sledge hammer, crow bar, spray paint, and a fiberglass kit couldnt fix hahahha :dopey:
 
1984 Honda XL350. Goes like hell, 6 speeds. I'm quite proud of the unique twin-carburated four-valve single-cylinder RFVC engine. It has a lot more punch than you'd expect from a thumper, and the powerband has a nice old-school-VTEC kick to it above 7000 rpm's to the 8500 rpm redline :)

2000 Polaris Xplorer 4x4. While I'm not a big fan of two strokes, the oil injection makes life easy. You really have to bury it to get it stuck. Sporty enough to keep up with a 300EX. Has enough grunt given it's a 450 lb 4x4 utility ATV and its engine size. (238 cc)

2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 (Dad's). Hate it, just hate it. It plows like a dump truck at any speed. Considering it's 900 ponds (after all the accessories, winches and cargo boxes) it's not all that bad, but its handling sucks 👎
 
My bike was useless, the motor blew off the frame. But the reason I started with a 125 was cause it was cheap and easy to learn on.
 
BlazinXtreme
My bike was useless, the motor blew off the frame. But the reason I started with a 125 was cause it was cheap and easy to learn on.
blew off the frame? LOL but yea 125's are good to start out on!
 
Back