ATV techs on GTP ?

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 11 comments

Nicksfix

OSU Buckeyes baby !!!
Premium
United States
Buckeye Nation
Are there any here on GTPlanet ? I have an issue with one and can't resolve it. Any help is appreciated, please.

Scenario : My wife has a '98 Polaris Sportsman 400 with just 78 miles on it (yeah, it does not get ridden much). It runs great, starts great, yadda, yadda, yadda. There is an issue which has just occurred and it is driving me kind of nuts. I spent a good part of the past weekend trying to figure it out, to no avail however.

What is happening is this. When you start it up and proceed to put it in reverse, it immediately dies (stalls). It fires right back up and runs fine. If you start it up and put it into forward, there is no problem, it works perfectly. It only happens when you put it in reverse.

Any thoughts, insights as to what may be the issue ? I played with the reverse override switch, checked wiring, wires / connections on the main board, all appear to be fine. What's next ..... please.

Thanks

It is definitely something electrical, I would look up everything related to the reverse gear electrics.

I browsed some ATV forums and found that some are saying that it could be the reverse override switch, a broken wire somewhere, or the connection on the main board. I could not find a definitive way as to how to 100% check the switch to see if it is at fault. I tried putting it into reverse with the switch engaged and dis-engaged, even went so far as to hold it in while attempting to put it into reverse. It did the same thing, stalled out. I did check the board, it had good, tight, clean connections. I traced the wires coming off the switch and ran a continuity test .... they checked out fine. A switch is around $15 - $20, not bad, but I just hate to guess and that not be the problem. Are there any other switches or anything of that sort to be checked out on these ?

Honestly I don't know, I don't ride ATV's.
But I do know that it's electrical, sometimes it's just a loose connection, or it could be the board as you described.
(We had a problem with our RZ, since we took the kickstand off it kept shutting off when it was put into gear, the only thing you can do is dive into the electrics and hope for the best.)

Sorry I can't give specifics, electrics were always a mystery to me.

I assume that when you put an ATV into reverse it has to maintain an electrical loop to tell the engine that it is safe to run. If the electrical loop is broken when reverse gear is selected, it kills power to the motor, I guess.

Your options are thus:

Find all safety switches and check them.
One could be sending the wrong signal to your wiring loom.

Replace your reverse override switch thingy.
Bypass your reverse override switch thingy.
Disconnect your reverse override switch thingy.
This may be a stupid question, but is it possible that a fuse blew?
The engine will be looking for a constant source of power from a circuit somewhere to say that it is safe to run in reverse gear.
Maybe that circuit is fused.
Though I doubt it.
Maybe the answer lies in the sender unit on your gearbox?
Anyway, if you find you cannot get the answer from a forum, and you can't solve your problem using the interwebzz, then you have just discovered a niche in the internet market.

Good luck.

:irked:👍

^
Thanks. Today I purchased a reverse override switch (genuine Polaris part), installed it when I got home from work ..... 🤬, not the problem :boggled:. I had a friend come over and take a peek at it as well. We went through all the circuitry, tracing, probing, testing, according to all indications, it should not be doing this. I'm totally baffled. I'm going to dig some more on the web and hope I can hit something, if not, I hate to do it, but off to the Polaris dealer it will go @ $85 p/hr ... :nervous:

Any more suggestions anybody ?

... and from the intellectual answer archives. :dopey:

Ever hear of self healing ? Well this thing did. It started today, working as if nothing was the matter. I don't get it .... whatever !?!?!?

Last edited:
not an ATV buff or electrician, but think the connection in the electronics got fouled up with some dirt maybe? just a thought.
or it might be from sitting around.

... and from the intellectual answer archives. :dopey:

Ever hear of self healing ? Well this thing did. It started today, working as if nothing was the matter. I don't get it .... whatever !?!?!?

They aren't exactly known for being reliable though.

^
From the sources who recommended this particular ATV - Sportsman 400 4x2 - for my wife, these things are quite enduring. Sure, as with any ATV, your going to get your quirks every now and then (I just had one), but overall, these Polaris' are tried and true. My friends wife has one ... a Sportsman 500 4x4 with over 5k miles on it, never had a lick of problems with it besides routine maintenance, and a couple sets of tires, and he repaired a trans, case leak. Besides that, it's solid. Another friend of mine has an '08 Polaris Outlaw which is bad to the bone, never had anything done to it (except race mods), and he runs the nuts off of it.

I know a few people with 500 H.O's. Nothing but issues. But thats besides the point.

Back