Audi R8 5.2 Quatro Differences

  • Thread starter Thread starter TT92
  • 17 comments
  • 1,210 views

TT92

Premium
Messages
1,642
Australia
WA
Messages
TT__777
Here is a question I am having trouble solving.

What is the difference between the Audi R8 5.2 standard and the Chromline. Other than the stated specs which has the Chromeline with 4PP less but produces more power, torque and weighs less. So why does the standard one have more PP. I would assume the Chromeline should have a higher PP because of it's better specs.

Chromeline Standard
CR229,999 CR199,400
PP536 PP540
HP 527@8,200 517@8,000
Torque 55.1@6,500 54.1@6,500
Weight 1598kg 1620kg

Lastly has anyone tested these to see which can achieve better lap times untuned?
 
Apparently the R8 V10 is prone to snap oversteer. Is it possible they handle differently? It's probably PD PDing though.
 
I think I should buy it, I wasted CR400,000 on the LMS Ultra Team Pheonix, its slow and drifts out if you're not careful. By careful for the car, one milimeter wrong on the joystick, and you drift out.
 
I think I should buy it, I wasted CR400,000 on the LMS Ultra Team Pheonix, its slow and drifts out if you're not careful. By careful for the car, one milimeter wrong on the joystick, and you drift out.

OK then so which one of the two do you suggest then and why?
 
Apparently the R8 V10 is prone to snap oversteer. Is it possible they handle differently? It's probably PD PDing though.

It shouldn't do, the 4WD system should sort that out. I'd say it's just a PD-ism.
 
Here is a question I am having trouble solving.

What is the difference between the Audi R8 5.2 standard and the Chromline. Other than the stated specs which has the Chromeline with 4PP less but produces more power, torque and weighs less. So why does the standard one have more PP. I would assume the Chromeline should have a higher PP because of it's better specs.

Chromeline Standard
CR229,999 CR199,400
PP536 PP540
HP 527@8,200 517@8,000
Torque 55.1@6,500 54.1@6,500
Weight 1598kg 1620kg

Lastly has anyone tested these to see which can achieve better lap times untuned?
Why not get both? Then you can dissect them to your heart's content and discover any differences.
As a "sell tactic", you need to get at least one for sure. I used the 5.2 for the Nurb24 and it was simply awesome. Way back in February I put this car away as "undrivable" because I didn't know about the camber and wheel-swapping bugs, But just last week dug it out again and after a fair bit of tuning, drove one of my most pleasurable races ever.👍
 
Why not get both? Then you can dissect them to your heart's content and discover any differences.
As a "sell tactic", you need to get at least one for sure. I used the 5.2 for the Nurb24 and it was simply awesome. Way back in February I put this car away as "undrivable" because I didn't know about the camber and wheel-swapping bugs, But just last week dug it out again and after a fair bit of tuning, drove one of my most pleasurable races ever.👍

It is not so much as a question about which one to buy BUT about WHY does the standard one with the lesser specs have a higher PP.

Or, the question is, why does the Chromeline with more power, torque and less weight that costs more have 4 less PP than the standard one?
 
Did a little experiment today and got both. ;)

The standard 5.2 has non adjustable downforce, the Chromeline does have adjustable downforce. 👍

Fully stripped out, the standard 5.2 weighs around 1300kg and the Chromeline weighs around 1350kg. :confused:

It could be argued that the Chromeline is more track setup than the standard one, a good example is even with the downforce set to minimum and with just under 1,100hp, it only just got to 250mph. Didn't run out of gears as it still had some of 6th gear left.

In summary, if you don't want a racing R8 but want some of it's handling abilities courtesy of adjustable downforce and also a chrome stripe, get the Chromeline.
Otherwise if you can do without the stripe, get the standard 5.2 as it's the cheaper choice. :D
 
Did a little experiment today and got both. ;)

I am about to do it myself.

The standard 5.2 has non adjustable downforce, the Chromeline does have adjustable downforce. 👍

Therefore it could be argued that the Chromeline should have a higher PP

Fully stripped out, the standard 5.2 weighs around 1300kg and the Chromeline weighs around 1350kg. :confused:

So what were the PPs at that stage. Was the standard more or less PP than the Chromeline?

It could be argued that the Chromeline is more track setup than the standard one, a good example is even with the downforce set to minimum and with just under 1,100hp, it only just got to 250mph. Didn't run out of gears as it still had some of 6th gear left.

Again I say, therefore you would expect it to have a higher PP than the standard one.

In summary, if you don't want a racing R8 but want some of it's handling abilities courtesy of adjustable downforce and also a chrome stripe, get the Chromeline.
Otherwise if you can do without the stripe, get the standard 5.2 as it's the cheaper choice. :D

I'm sorry but you have lost me on this last part. It sounds like you are comparing the Chromeline to some race version.

I am only interested in why there is a PP difference in favour of the Chromeline as compared to the standard one.

I was hoping someone here may have an answer before I start citing this as a classic example of the broken PP system here in GT6.
 
I thought you agreed on it being a PDism?
 
I'm sorry but you have lost me on this last part. It sounds like you are comparing the Chromeline to some race version.

I am only interested in why there is a PP difference in favour of the Chromeline as compared to the standard one.

I was hoping someone here may have an answer before I start citing this as a classic example of the broken PP system here in GT6.
I think Vic is saying the Chromeline comes in somewhere between the Standard 5.2 and a racing version such as the Ultra or Team PlayStation R8s.
And with what Vic reported added to your OP with the weight, HP, and PP values of the two cars (may I assume you've proofread that and made sure it's not mixed up? Otherwise, why would you notice the discrepancy?) I doubt anyone here could tell you a good reason for the Chromeline to have a lower PP than the regular 5.2, when everything about it sounds slightly "racier".
 
Did some more experimenting and noticed something odd.

With only weight reductions and a oil change on both cars, the PP gap widens to almost 10 with the standard 5.2 at 567pp/544hp/1302kg and the Chromeline at 558pp/555hp/1358kg.

I then decided to run them both stock around Brands Hatch short circuit to get some times on the board. The standard 5.2 ran a 49.002 and I figured the Chromeline would run a quicker lap.

It did,:p a 48.652.

Would it be cheaper to get a normal 5.2 and add the same parts as the Chromeline? Yes it would.
It depends what you're willing to spend on getting round a track in the quickest time possible.
If money is no object in your track build, get the Chromeline as the adjustable downforce allows more fine tuning in the build even though it'll turn out slightly heavier than the standard.
 
Did some more experimenting and noticed something odd.

With only weight reductions and a oil change on both cars, the PP gap widens to almost 10 with the standard 5.2 at 567pp/544hp/1302kg and the Chromeline at 558pp/555hp/1358kg.

I then decided to run them both stock around Brands Hatch short circuit to get some times on the board. The standard 5.2 ran a 49.002 and I figured the Chromeline would run a quicker lap.

It did,:p a 48.652.

Would it be cheaper to get a normal 5.2 and add the same parts as the Chromeline? Yes it would.
It depends what you're willing to spend on getting round a track in the quickest time possible.
If money is no object in your track build, get the Chromeline as the adjustable downforce allows more fine tuning in the build even though it'll turn out slightly heavier than the standard.


So basically you have just proved that PD's PP system is broken :-( Just as I thought.....sigh.............

Thanks for that Vic I will do some testing myself now.
 
I don't think anybody needed proof to be fair. The PP system just isn't accurate.
 
OK then so which one of the two do you suggest then and why?
Well, I would go for the standard first to see if its good enough since its cheaper, if it has bad performance, then thats the time I would buy the chromeline.
 
Did some more experimenting and noticed something odd.

With only weight reductions and a oil change on both cars, the PP gap widens to almost 10 with the standard 5.2 at 567pp/544hp/1302kg and the Chromeline at 558pp/555hp/1358kg.

I then decided to run them both stock around Brands Hatch short circuit to get some times on the board. The standard 5.2 ran a 49.002 and I figured the Chromeline would run a quicker lap.

It did,:p a 48.652.

Would it be cheaper to get a normal 5.2 and add the same parts as the Chromeline? Yes it would.
It depends what you're willing to spend on getting round a track in the quickest time possible.
If money is no object in your track build, get the Chromeline as the adjustable downforce allows more fine tuning in the build even though it'll turn out slightly heavier than the standard.
that would make sense though as the standard is 56kg lighter.
 
56kg doesn't make TOO much of a difference but does
 
that would make sense though as the standard is 56kg lighter.
It's odd due to the fact that the Chromeline is lighter out of the dealership but heavier when fully weight reduced when it's essentially the same car and it's already 4pp down out of the showroom.
 
Back