Audi R8 V8 vs. V10 @ Suzuka!

United States
NJ
Rave2Grave
Which would you prefer? To help make up your mind, I've pitted the two in 100% stock configuration against each other in a battle at Suzuka. You might think the V10 would absolutely spank the V8 up and down the track, but let's find out the truth!

First, let's talk about stats.

4.2L vs. 5.2L
414 hp / 7,500 rpm vs. 517 hp / 8,000 rpm
317 ft-lb / 4,500 rpm vs. 391 ft-lb / 6,500 rpm
1,560 kg vs. 1,620 kg
516 pp vs. 540 pp
Top speed achieved: 149 mph vs. 157 mph

I'm liking the V10's extra 113 hp and 74 ft-lbs as well as its 8 mph higher speed on Suzuka's front straight, but I'm also liking the V8's peak power reached 500 rpm sooner, peak torque reached 2,000 rpm sooner, and 60 kg lighter weight.

Now, how about their lap times?

2:13.046 - Audi R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09
2:14.573 - Audi R8 4.2 FSI R Tronic '07

The V10 is most definitely a 2:12 car, but it takes a lot of luck to get there, so I'm calling it an easy 2:13 car, while the V8 is an easy 2:14 car.

If I had the money for both in real life, I'd for sure choose the V8. It's almost as fast, and requires much less finesse to achieve a fast time. Plus, that low-end torque is very satisfying. How about you?

Last edited:
Haven't driven the v8 r8 but I like the v10 version so far because at stage route x,it would keep up to cars in the 1035 hp range and when I drove it around the nurburgring, I set a 7:41.121 but it was a messy lap. Still 2.9 seconds faster then the time in real life but mines is oil changed.

For a person with drag racing or high speed tracks like Sarthe, Spa, or Monza in mind, the V10 is the clear winner hands down. For anyone else, and especially for daily driving, the V8 is the wiser choice.

I've always liked the Audi R8 and the V10 engine is icing on the cake. Must be nice to have a money tree. :)

SuzukaStar This threads are very interesting and you got some superior skills. Your Veyron lap is insane. :bowdown:

Last edited:
How about a Carrera GT or LFA for that fantastic F1 sound?

Ooooh I forgot about the LFA. In GT6, it's about a second quicker than the R8 V10 despite having only a 1 PP advantage. As for the Carrera GT, I wish I could see how it does at Suzuka :(

Wow...I've never seen that particular Audi commercial before. What a gorgeous sound.

Great comparison SuzukaStar! I'm not totally shocked that the cars are as close as they are on a track like this. Not enough straightaway distance for the V10 to really flex its muscles. Does anyone know, off the top of their head, what the time difference is at a track like Nordschleife?

I only recently bought the V10 in GT6. I don't know why I went so long without an Audi R8 in my garage, but I did. :boggled: Anyway, now I think I'll have to add the V8 to my stable as well. I think I'll probably be able to handle that one a little better.

20 second difference on Nordschleife? That shows you that the V10 really makes a difference on a track with lots of high speed sections. What a car...

Really its nothing... The longer the distance the longer the time gap....

I don't really like using track comparison times rather than stats and drag times...

I always digged V10 engines so i would go for that and wouldnt mind the less torque. Great write up like always 👍

I think 20 seconds is quite significant in THIS particular case. It's the same case (basically) and the difference is an engine. Porsche Carrera GT 7:28 vs. BMW M3 GTS 7:48 -- Are you saying that's an insignificant difference?

Latest Posts

Back