Austin Smith: The tale of a racing driver CH2 released! 4/30/12

• Thread starter nitrorocks
  • 9 comments
United States
Phoenix, AZ
nitrorocks
Light guys. This is my first story or whatever you want to call it! It is also based on a true story (half real, half fictional) and a real person.

The preview:

Racing. It was all he ever knew, and all he ever wanted to know. It was in his blood. Just being at the track was what made him happy. Being at a race track made him the happiest boy in the world. The sound of the engines starting, the smell of alcohol and race fuel, the roar of the crowds, the tension and the pure adrenaline rush. It was his natural habitat. The place where he belonged. The only thing that exceeded his love for racing was his religious faith. Other than that, he had no other cares in the world while being at a race track.

There's my first ever race report story! Feedback appreciated!

Last edited:
Okay thanks. You're stories inspired me. :lol:

Austin=Red
Ron=Blue (the dad)
Narrator=Black
Announcer=Yellow

Part 1: Karting

Chapter 1: "The Beginning"

Racing. It was all he ever knew, and all he ever wanted to know. It was in his blood. Just being at the track was what made him happy. Being at a race track made him the happiest boy in the world. The sound of the engines starting, the smell of alcohol and race fuel, the roar of the crowds, the tension and the pure adrenaline rush. It was his natural habitat. The place where he belonged. The only thing that exceeded his love for racing was his religious faith. Other than that, he had no other cares in the world while being at a race track. Austin went to his first races when he was about a month old. They usually were Indy car, Nascar, and Sprint car/Midget/ races. The first time he ever appeared at a race, he had the racing bug for life.

His goal: to go to Le Mans.

15 years later.....

January 15th, 20XX Autumn Ring Kart Club

Austin had just started in karting at the failry late age of 15. Today was his second race. He was driving in the Rotax Sr category. The legendary Autumn Ring Kart Club was his local track.

Something feels different about today...he thought.

How did the kart feel in practice? Asked Ron (his dad)

It felt very good. Better than it ever has honestly. I have a feeling that I could do well today.

Don't get your hopes up. It will take you a long time to start winning races.

I hope not. I wan't to win very badly.

"Rotax Sr drivers. Calling all Rotax Sr drivers to the grid. Race starts in 10 minutes"

We better get our stuff ready.

Yeah, Where are we starting?

12th....out of 16.

Austin sighed.

It's ok! All you need is seat time!

That's true. These kids have been doing it for 7 or 8 years at a minimum.

Later on the grid...

Austin said a quick prayer with his dad. His spiritualness has always been important to him. Especially before races.

Good luck.

Thanks!

The flagman signaled the karts off the grid to get on their formation lap

Keep calm he thought to himself. Keep calm.

The karts are now lining up down the front straightaway.

The flagman waved the green flag...it all seemed like slow motion. Then the roar of 16 2-strokes shattered the rural piece of the Autumn Ring.

Into the first corner he bumps into a kart in front and over shoots the corner.

Argh! He thought. Down the short shoot he picks up 3 positions.

autumnringminiu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then he picks up 2 more making him in 8th position.

autumnringmini1m.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, into the highspeed left hander that follows up through the esses.
A lot of elevation change here. Have to be careful......

The first lap is completed. He is still 8th. Lap 2 he out brakes 2 karts going into turn 1. That makes him 6th.

Now he is trailing Zach Haines. One of the best drivers to ever come out of the Autumn Ring Kart Club. Into the left and right hand flicks he surpasses Haines like no challenge.

He is now 5th....

Woohoo! I'm in my best finishing spot, and it's only my 2nd race! I have to keep calm.

Now once again, he sets up the 4 karts in front of him going into the high speed, left handed, turn 2. He is outbraking all of them!

autumnringmini4r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I got them! I'm leading with less than a lap to go! Up through the esses one. last. time. Clean, and calm.

autumnringmini2n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Through the last corner....come on Austin....come on......

One more corner. Smooth. Down the straight...I'm gonna win it!

autumnringmini3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wooohooo!!!!!!!!!!! I've done it! Yes!!!!!! I've won on my second ever start!!

He was pumping his fist madly.

autumnringmini3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When they pulled in to post tech, his dad picked him up and hugged him.

Yes! Yes! Austin! You weren't kiddig! I can't believe I doubted you! Was I the only one watching this??

You definitely weren't the only one..... a voice said. It sounded familiar.
I've heard it on TV.....many times.

To be continued.....

Last edited:
I felt it was odd that in his second race he could suddenly beat a bunch of pros. Though it's nice to see you start with Karts. 👍 Carry on.

I'm guessing you used a phone to type it out because there are a few typo's. Other than that, great start! Keep it up.

Part 1: Karting

Chapter 2: The errr.....second beginning.

Austin=Red
Ron=Blue (the dad)
Narrator=Black
Announcer=Purple
Rick=Green

***PS!!!!!!! Austin's thoughts are underlined!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

You definitely weren't the only one..... a voice said. It sounded familiar. I've heard it on TV.....many times.

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Rick Kendall. I own the Zanardi Kart USA team. I'm sure you've heard of us.

Yeah! You have the greatest drivers! I see you all the time in the magazines. You have great drivers like Christopher Zani, and Max Peters. But, why would you want anything to do with me?

Because I saw you drive today. That was amazing. How long have you been driving for?

6 months.

See! That's great! I've been heard for 20 years, and have never, ever seen anyone win with the amount of experience you have.

Well, I guess...

Yeah, so let's cut to the chase here. I'm offering you a free ride with Zanardi Kart USA. What do you say?

What!? This is crazy. All expenses paid?

Yes, you seem like a good driver to invest in.

Thank you! This is the highlight of my karting career! What races will we run?

We will run the whole SKUSA Pro Tour, and the U.S. Rotax Max Grand Finals. Here's my card, we will keep in contact and have you run by the shop and get you fitted with a new suit, helmet, kart, and talk about the season.

He handed me a business card.

Thank you! I'm....really speechless right now. I can't thank you enough Mr. Kendall!

Don't mention it kid. I will see you next week so we can schedule a test session.

Rick limped off.

Well, we better get home.

Okay. Let's go. I'm very tired.

On the dark ride home, I had many mixed emotions. Driving up through the winding desert roads at night, looking over at the dirt, and up at the sky with the stars.

I have to stop at the gas station.

Ok.

While my dad filled up the gas, I thought to myself. Why was Rick limping? and why did dad act so surprised to see him?

When my dad came back from filling up the truck, I asked him a question.

Dad,

Yes..

Why were you surprised when you saw Rick?

What do you mean? You don't know who Rick Kendall is?

No.

Oh that's right. He was way before your time. He was one of the best sports car racers from america. He raced in the Mid to late 1980's until the early 1990's in the crazy Group C cars. His career was just coming into play too. Until that one fateful day...

What fateful day?

I don't know. He crashed or something. But those Group C's were like overpowered monsters. They killed a lot of people unfortunately. They were beautiful monsters though.

Oh..

Just then, dad had parked in the garage.

Brush your teeth, and get to bed. It's late.

Ok.

When I got in bed, my dad came, said my prayers, and said good night. I sat there thinking.

Ahh...a Zanardi factory driver...Maybe I can go to Le Mans..

All of a sudden, I fell into a deep sleep. I had a dream.

I started to hear the roar of crowds, and air horns. Then I heard loud, Turbo diesels of in the distance, and GT cars. I also heard an announcer.

All of a sudden, I was driving a Peugeot 908 HDi FAP

And this is the last lap for the race leader Ausrin Smith. If he can drive clean, the race will go his way.

Down the Mulsanne straight at over 230 mph! Into Indiannapolis corner.

He needs to keep it calm at this part of the race. Said a familiar voice. It sounded like Hurley Haywood.

Up through the short shoot, going through Arnage. Around the last esses, and through the Porsche, and Ford curves one last time, it's gonna be Austin Smith winning over all at Le Mans for Peugeot Team ORECA! The team is ecstatic! He is the first american to win overall at Le Mans since Davy Jones in 1996! I still can't believe the young american has done it!

Then, I was on the podium with thousands of fans at the bottom waving their Audi, Corvette Puegeot, Spyker, Porsche, etc flags. It was a sea of people. It was like a roaring sea with air horns chanting Austin! Austin! Austin! Then, Allan Mcnish, Dindo Capello, David Brabhem, Marc Gene, and even Tom Kristensen congratulated me! Then the champagne started. It tasted good..too good..

Chapter 2 is dooone! Tell me your feedback!

Last edited:
Back