auto-merge double posts an idea?

• Thread starter Kalder
  • 3 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Netherlands
Netherlands
Hi, I've noticed this forum isn't very kind to double posts, I'm on another forum (a dutch one) where they made a feature on the forum so that if someone double posts, the 2 posts automatically get merged together, would save your mods some time and then there would be no need for those passively aggressive notices... especially the "Stop ignoring this" is a bit much if you ask me, most people don't do it on purpose.

I'm on another forum (a dutch one) where they made a feature on the forum so that if someone double posts, the 2 posts automatically get merged together
Making multiple consecutive posts sometimes has a perfectly reasonable purpose - such as those who make posts in their own galleries, or people who run leagues and events and make multiple consecutive posts for rules and regulations for those events.

Automatically merging all double-posts would be unhelpful.

However we do have a most excellent multiquote feature which automatically creates fully formatted replies to multple messages at once within the Reply box.

Stop ignoring this
Nobody gets upbraided for ignoring the site staff if they don't repeatedly ignore the site staff. If you have received such a message it's because, despite numerous notifications not to do something, you've made no attempt to not do the thing or reach out to the staff.

It rather seems like you are now not ignoring the site staff, so the message - however "passively aggressive" you believe it to be - appears to have served its purpose in getting you to stop ignoring notifications from the site staff.

Oh so you need me to post a topic like this for your mods to not think I'm ignoring those messages... I mean the posts I were quoting were on different pages, I don't do it on purpose, but whatever.
And yes I've seen the notices, I didn't know you guys count the number of double posts I make >.< way too strict if you ask me... I can think of other ways to increase my message count and I really couldn't care less about it.

Last edited:
Oh so you need me to post a topic like this for your mods to not think I'm ignoring those messages...
... no?
Nobody gets upbraided for ignoring the site staff if they don't repeatedly ignore the site staff. If you have received such a message it's because, despite numerous notifications not to do something, you've made no attempt to not do the thing or reach out to the staff.
Carrying on doing the thing you've been repeatedly told not to do is the one thing that makes it look a lot like you're ignoring what you've been told not to do.

Other things - like... not doing it any more, or reaching out to the staff in any way at all - show that you are not ignoring it.

And yes I've seen the notices
But then not done anything about it at all. Which means you've seen them and just decided to carry on as if they weren't even sent. Or... you know... ignored them.
I mean the posts I were quoting were on different pages
Cool. That's what the Multiquote feature is for. It does the whole quoting multiple posts thing automatically.
I didn't know you guys count the number of double posts I make >.< way too strict if you ask me...
Cool. Didn't ask.

If you get notifications from the site staff, don't act like they're irrelevant: do something about it, or it'll look like you're ignoring us - and that'll get you notifications not to ignore us. You got one of those and are now not ignoring us any more.

It's pretty simple.

As we've now covered your idea, your actual complaint, and the entire purpose of notifications from site staff, there's not much more to be gained here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back