Autobacs-Tuner or Manufacturer ?

United States
U.S.A.
Most know that GT has carried the Autobacs brand of cars, most importantly their respective race cars. Now in the GT5 dealership area it shows up and around the tuner cars area. It was "Not" listed as a "Tuner" car in GT4 and had their concept type road car that really never made it to production in the regular dealership area. I realize they are big into parts manufacture, but what about that concept type road car, the Garaiya '02 (standard car) that never made it to the public ? My question is... are they considered a Tuner or Manufacturer ? Yes, I've googled plenty, buy I'm still confused on this...

In terms of their classification in the GT series, yes, they are a manufacturer. Remember that the Garaiya (and the RS01/ZZII) is listed under Autobac's car manufacturing firm, ASL, which was formerly Tommykaira. ASL is just a small (and what now seems to be extinct) part of the larger Autobacs Seven company, which for years has been a retailer for other companies' tuning parts. I wouldn't say they are a tuner in themselves, primarily because there doesn't seem to be any evidence of them making their own parts or specially tuned cars.

Thanks LaSupra and makes sense from my previous research as well... Certainly it's hard to determine now at this later date in hindsight with all the various changes in business over the years they have had. TK back when prior to purchase was of course not a tuner but manufacturer, and since ASL was set up for the TK purchase I lean toward GT4 cars being as a manufacturer and in GT5 cars being simply a race and parts company, hence them being in the dealership tuner area in GT5. Hard to categorize now in general I guess...

Back