Automatic Clutch

• Thread starter Logsi
  • 17 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Just as a foreword I play with a manual clutch and prefer playing this way.

I’m starting to find myself having a bit of trouble with the clutch on tiptronic cars when downshifting in corners. If I am using the H-Shifter I heel and toe, Rev match and take the corners just fine. With a flappy paddle gearbox, on say the GT4 Cayman, if I downshift with the paddles instead the h-shifter with no rev matching the car will lock the rear wheels and spin. Turning in automatic clutch negates this.

Am I driving with paddles wrong? If I’m slowing down into a turn do I need to keep the throttle on with my right foot and trail brake with my left so it doesn’t spin?

I’m sure I can’t remember this happening in assetto corsa, whose automatic h-shifter/paddle settings were great! Car has a h-shifter, have to use h-shifter. Car has paddles, have to use paddles...etc. The clutch would also behave accordingly.

I'm no expert but it just sounds to me like you're shifting down too early?

You would have thought but with automatic this doesn’t happen nor does when Rev matching.

I just feel like an auto box should rev match and more specifically in this case the PDK in the cayman GT4.

Last edited:
You would have thought but with automatic this doesn’t happen nor does when Rev matching.

I just feel like an auto box should rev match and more specifilly in this case the PDK in the cayman GT4.

Auto boxes have torque converters not clutches though so the torque isn't instantly thrown at the wheels.
Paddle boxes generally have normal clutches thus torque goes straight to wheels spinning them out if you down shift too soon.

Auto boxes have torque converters not clutches though so the torque isn't instantly thrown at the wheels.
Paddle boxes generally have normal clutches thus torque goes straight to wheels spinning them out if you down shift too soon.

So in this case with the Cayman GT4 how should it be driven because I’m definitely not downshifting too soon because if I rev match and use the h-shifter it’s perfect.

How would one drive with the paddles? Because theoretically a PDK Porsche doesn’t have a clutch. Do I need to trailbrake and keep the throttle open a bit?

So in this case with the Cayman GT4 how should it be driven because I’m definitely not downshifting too soon because if I rev match and use the h-shifter it’s perfect.

How would one drive with the paddles? Because theoretically a PDK Porsche doesn’t have a clutch. Do I need to trailbrake and keep the throttle open a bit?

No idea I'm afraid, like I say I'm no expert. I'm afraid you'll have to figure this one out yourself. :boggled:

Edit: hmmm, just tried the Cayman GT4 for the first time, and I'm having the same issue. Seems a bit odd. Just need to try and stay in higher gears longer I feel. Strange little car indeed lol.

Last edited:

Do you still blip the throttle when downshifting with paddles? I got into that habit long ago when playing GT6, as it helped with situations like you're describing. Not sure if it would apply to the Cayman GT4 though. I think I drove that car with the H- shifter last time I raced it - probably because of the issue you're describing.

I knew it felt weird and now I know it wasn't just me. Favorite GT4 car is still the 86GT even though it's not the best. I just love me some 86GT

Do you still blip the throttle when downshifting with paddles? I got into that habit long ago when playing GT6, as it helped with situations like you're describing. Not sure if it would apply to the Cayman GT4 though. I think I drove that car with the H- shifter last time I raced it - probably because of the issue you're describing.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to do this. I just assumed the behaviour of a PDK Porsche would auto rev match. Having driven a few high performance cars with DSG boxes I've never had the rear wheels lock up when downshifting. It's 100% not me downshifting too early.

Er, it actually has two clutches (that's what the D and K in PDK represent), they're just not foot operated. But a real PDK does auto rev-match so if it's not doing that in game I'd guess it is wrong.

Actually it is Auto rev matching in game. I play with Manual Clutch to (and H-Shifter) and while using Cayman GT4 with paddles I don't need to blip throttle. Most of new cars have auto-rev match. Heel and Toe i found essential in older race cars.

Actually it is Auto rev matching in game. I play with Manual Clutch to (and H-Shifter) and while using Cayman GT4 with paddles I don't need to blip throttle. Most of new cars have auto-rev match. Heel and Toe i found essential in older race cars.

Ok. I've not driven the car but the OP seems to be indicating that it is not rev matching when he uses paddles. Maybe I misunderstood.

I have the same problem as OP. Dual clutch cars w paddle shifter dont seen to rev match unless you turn auto clutch on. Lots of wheel locks. I didn't notice this prior to patch 3

Er, it actually has two clutches (that's what the D and K in PDK represent), they're just not foot operated. But a real PDK does auto rev-match so if it's not doing that in game I'd guess it is wrong.

Sorry, I apologise. A manual clutch is what I meant. I’m fully aware it is a dual clutch automatic. My apologies.

I can drive the same corner in the same manner and It behaves different with auto clutch on/off.

This is why I’m questioning whether I’m driving the auto box wrong with paddles.

On an unrelated note, the type 78 lotus is sublime with heel and toe!

I just drove the Cayman GT4 at Watkins Glen short, and you definitely need to blip the throttle at downshift. Also make sure your engine brake is up.

I raced the cayman series during my pc2 career. You have to drop the revs to around 2-3k before down shifting. Enjoy

Back