Automatic Transmission (Video)

• Thread starter PhillOS
  • 15 comments
I will dedicate this thread to new comers to the game, inorder to demonstrate the great automatic transmission physics this game boasts!

A8 (Auto) @ Dragon Range : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3JkDRmf5g
Skyline GT-8 (Semi Auto) @ Dragon Range : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6xV3u4OPhg

ORIGINAL POST:I recently stumbled upon this game and realized it simulated a real automatic transmission, something i've been looking for in a game for decades (years) :dopey:
Before buying the game i'd like to be sure that this is true, does it shift early if i dont put the pedal to the metal, like it would in real life? or does it keep it in the gear until i reach the rev. limit and next gear is forced, (similiar to GT4s)
Ideally, someone could post a short video (good sound quality) of driving some big car, with the autotransmission, and not flooring it, just cruising so i can get a feel for it, if it actually changes gears probably like a real auto!
Thanks in advance!
You might think what do i care, its a racing game.. its not for me! its a crusing game, i wanna cruise around listening to that auto changing gears, cause thats what i love. Unfortunatly i dont drive an auto IRL..

Try buying the Jaguar XKR in GT4. It shifts very much like an auto... possibly because you can't buy a manual version of it in real life..

http://media.putfile.com/Slow-lap-around-Cosmic-Eggway-in-S600L (might take a while to load at first)

The game doesn't seem to want to shift early if you're on-throttle at all. However, coasting and letting the RPM drop can and will cause the transmission to upshift, and if you're careful with the throttle, you can accelerate without shifting down. Of course, if you nail the throttle at that point, it's also possible to do a double-downshift.

Although it doesn't get the shifting habits of an automatic right, Enthusia is still the most accurate simulator that I'm aware of when it comes to the on- and off-throttle characteristics and smooth shifts of a torque converter.

thanks alot for your video! i guess the guy i read this from was exaggerating a bit. Its definetly alot better than most other 'automated manuals' from games like GT4, but a real auto tranny it aint! Glad i got that cleared before buying the game!

It looks like it wants to go into overdrive (highest gear) at throttle-lift-off, but not anywhere near as soon/fast that i would have liked it to do! :)

Thanks again for clearing this! :D

Enthusia is also one of only two simulators i know of that takes the speed from the gearbox like a real car, with the other being RBR. Not even LFS, rFactor or any other PC sim manages this... and while it's a fairly pointless thing it shows great commitment to detail (along with simulating torque converters).

If the auto-box jumps into the tallest gear quickly, it robs the car of vital engine braking. This moronic trait is why automatic cars understeer more than their manual counterparts on throttle-lift, and is part of the reason why they freak me right out (along with pulling against the brakes at low speeds). In short, eeeewwwww!

Enthusia is also one of only two simulators i know of that takes the speed from the gearbox like a real car, with the other being RBR. Not even LFS, rFactor or any other PC sim manages this... and while it's a fairly pointless thing it shows great commitment to detail (along with simulating torque converters).
Actually, Live for Speed's speedometer takes its reading from the drivetrain, as it should.

Interesting. But can you guys elaborate on this further? How does that compare to other "SIMS" that do not include this and how does it affect gameplay? And how can you guys tell this is the case?

When a racing game (doesn't have to be a sim at all) bases its speedometer reading on the drivetrain/wheel speed, the speedometer will rise whenever you get wheelspin, and fall back again when you regain traction. This is easily tested in a game by drifting or doing a standing burnout. The speedometers in real cars work this way.

However, most games don't use that method; instead, they base the speedometer reading on the magnitude of the overall velocity of the car, because it's easier to program. To put it simply, they just tell you how fast the car is moving, not how fast the wheels are spinning. The only real-world equivalent I can think of would be a GPS-based calculation.

Enthusia uses the first (wheel speed) method. GT4 uses the second (overall speed) method.

I finally got around and actually bought the game for $10 (used, off my buddy) And what a game! :dopey:

The autobox behaves better than Wolfes video up there states... i created two videos with an A8 4.2 (auto), and the Skyline GT8 (semi, driven like auto).

A8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3JkDRmf5g
Skyline: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6xV3u4OPhg

Interestingly enough the skylines autobox is very weirdly geared, and if you drive it in full auto, it behaves like a CVT gearbox..

It seemed to me that the A8 was maintaining a fairly high RPM (like the Mercedes, it seems too inclined to choose a lower gear), but in terms of an automatic gearbox simulation I do still find it impressive. The fact that I was using a controller (as I tend to do) for my video may also have affected it. I tried my best.

As for the Skyline, the GT-8 actually does have a CVT -- just with 8 preset gear ratios. :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. 👍

Enthusia is also one of only two simulators i know of that takes the speed from the gearbox like a real car, with the other being RBR. Not even LFS, rFactor or any other PC sim manages this...
True but only partly. Not all real cars take the speed from the drivetrain, some simply use a sensor in a non-driving wheel. In a true simulator this would have to be taken into account too but I doubt anyone is going to go that far. The overall velocity does the same for most of the time.

Partly? Mostly.

That's like saying the handbrake is partly correct in every game because a handful of cars have it acting on the front wheels.

You're absolutely right on that. I'd hate to have an old Saab with the handbrake in the rear wheels because it's just wrong. Also some cars don't have an orthodox handbrake but electronical systems that are operated by a button and sometimes affect all four wheels. In my opinion things like that should be considered when going for the full detail. It's undoubtedly pointless, but it would show that the game makers are serious with the realism.

It seemed to me that the A8 was maintaining a fairly high RPM (like the Mercedes, it seems too inclined to choose a lower gear), but in terms of an automatic gearbox simulation I do still find it impressive. 100% Agreed, its certainly very very impressive. The fact that I was using a controller (as I tend to do) for my video may also have affected it. I tried my best.

As for the Skyline, the GT-8 actually does have a CVT -- just with 8 preset gear ratios. :)
Didn't know that...
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game. 👍

The GT-8 is my new favorite car in Enthusia to cruise in, next to the S600L, that thing is insane, it does 190 down the ring's straight!

This is really sweet, I always wanted a racing sim that would mimic a true automatic gearbox.

I am going to play around with some automatic cars now. Enthusia rules!

Back