Automotive Model Photography Competition 100

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 18 comments
Canada
Titan
It's kind of amazing we actually did 100 of these. Thank you to everyone who has ever participated in them.

36775453362_621acba1fb_o.jpg

36142707143_917edbf628_o.jpg

Week 99

GT HP Nut :__________2
LongbowX :__________2

Congratulations to myself and GT HP Nut!

41902124350_e59a34023c_z.jpg

42848357795_6a9cb54622_o.jpg

Thank you to all who voted, and for those who entered!

Competition 100

37269909372_e76630e851_o.jpg

Theme chosen by LongbowX (generously allowed to be chosen by GT HP Nut)

THEME: In their words: "Nostalgia.

I'm going to keep this open to interpretation. Some ideas would be: taking a photos of a favourite model or car from when you were younger (or one that you have taken in the past for the competition, but not for a long time), or a technique or idea you remember doing photograph-wise (with improvements). There are many ways to consider this theme, I'm looking forward to seeing the ideas flow forth. "

36763596436_9389fbb68c_o.jpg

• Editing: Levels, Curves, Colour Balance, Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, Shadows/Highlight adjustments, Cropping, or anything else capable in the development process or with filters and common special lenses (such as gradients) are allowed to be used in Photoshop or other image editing softwares. Other adjustments and effects are not allowed to be used in your picture. You may also use Unsharp Mask.

• Photographs should ideally include some composition and effect - Base the photo on a studio shoot, or even use diorama/composition to create a realistic setting (you could position the model and camera in such a way in an outside setting so that it appears to be a 'real' car)
  • No HDR shots.
  • Shots must be taken between January 2015 and the present day.
  • Work that has been shown previously (outside of the competition) is allowed.
  • One entry per competition. You may change your entry as many times as you wish, however the entry you wish to submit should clearly be labelled with "Final Entry".
  • Pictures posted should preferably be around 900px on their longest edge. You may link to a larger photograph in the post (I believe this is the size limit allowed by the Photography forum, however it likely hasn't been updated in some time)
  • All scales of model are allowed unless specified.

36763596246_74c3f2d170_o.jpg

Deadline for each bi-weekly competition will be 10:00pm EST on a Monday (except this time, because I will be away), poll will be up by 10:30pm EST
Voting will close on the following Saturday at 10:30pm EST

This competition will close on September 3rd.

*Mass spam-tag to get people interested in celebrating the 100th competition*​

@AOS- @Apok @TenEightyOne @TB @Beerz @Robin @Venom800tt @RCKakashi14 @Casey @SPhilli911 @MSZ @JockeP22 @rallymorten

Last edited:
Oh no, did you edit in the tags? If you @ someone in an edit it doesn't actually work.
In any case I'll get an entry ready for sure this time.

Currenty working on a project with my model cars. So i'll probably have a go at this tomorrow.

Since I don't think the first model that I took photos of for this competition is going to produce any good shots, I decided to go with a more conventional route.

FINAL ENTRY

A Glimpse into the Past.
This photo was taken through the open doors of a Lexus LFA (and hence the name), which kind of acts like a pair of glasses. Originally I planned to shoot the LFA through the windshields of the Daytona, but the image of the car was kinda distorted, so I had to abandon the plan.

Any chance we could extend this for a day? Been busier than I thought, but I should have time to finish something tomorrow.

So I feel pretty bad... Sorry for holding everything up for a day and then being a no-show. I thought I'd have some time today, but it's 2am and I just finished work on my diploma. :indiff:

My entry:

This is nostalgic for me because all 4 cars in the pic are from Need For Speed 2, the PS1 version in specific (I could have added an F355 if I were going for NFS2 SE). It, along with GT1 are what really got me hooked on racing games. NFS2 also fueled my love for 90's exotics as well.

Final Entry

Camera:
Nikon Coolpix S230
Model: Porsche Carrera 911 by Bburago
Scale: 1/24

Got something done in the end! It's the same model as in my very first entry in 2010. Similarly to the "style" I had then, this image features a random object that has nothing to do with cars (guitar amplifier) and an over-reliance on colour balance. :lol:

So I feel pretty bad... Sorry for holding everything up for a day and then being a no-show. I thought I'd have some time today, but it's 2am and I just finished work on my diploma. :indiff:

That's no problem at all, and it is nothing to feel bad about. Especially for things that sound much more important.

Also, I had used the model I'm using now during that same competition that you entered back in 2010. So they meet again.

This is nostalgic for me because all 4 cars in the pic are from Need For Speed 2, the PS1 version in specific (I could have added an F355 if I were going for NFS2 SE). It, along with GT1 are what really got me hooked on racing games. NFS2 also fueled my love for 90's exotics as well.

That takes me back too. Just to listen to the awesome menu music (as well as the rest of the soundtrack), haha. I played the PC version but I believe it had the same music. I played it quite a bit as well (along with the 1st NFS).

--

It was really great that there were more entries for this one, including some of the old guard.

---

Final Entry

It looks a bit dark with the harsh white background, but it looks better when you follow the link through to the full image.

Nostalgia for me in this case was using a model I haven't used for a long time. Part of the reason why was it actually was undefeated in the competitions, and I didn't feel like losing that.

I also went outside and set something up, which is something I don't do much of now - but something I very much did in the earlier days of the competitions.

----

Latest Posts

Back