Week 101

GTP_Dutchy :__________8
Casey :_______________4
NISM0_SKYLINE :______3
LongbowX :____________1
Venom800tt :__________0

Congratulations to GTP_Dutchy!

img_8076-jpg.767906

Thank you to all who voted, and for those who entered!

Competition 102

37269909372_e76630e851_o.jpg

Theme chosen by GTP_Dutchy

THEME: In their words: "Triplets.

Pick 3 cars that can convey a story. i.e. they're all in a movie. or they are all from the same make."

36763596436_9389fbb68c_o.jpg

• Editing: Levels, Curves, Colour Balance, Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, Shadows/Highlight adjustments, Cropping, or anything else capable in the development process or with filters and common special lenses (such as gradients) are allowed to be used in Photoshop or other image editing softwares. Other adjustments and effects are not allowed to be used in your picture. You may also use Unsharp Mask.

• Photographs should ideally include some composition and effect - Base the photo on a studio shoot, or even use diorama/composition to create a realistic setting (you could position the model and camera in such a way in an outside setting so that it appears to be a 'real' car)
  • No HDR shots.
  • Shots must be taken between January 2015 and the present day.
  • Work that has been shown previously (outside of the competition) is allowed.
  • One entry per competition. You may change your entry as many times as you wish, however the entry you wish to submit should clearly be labelled with "Final Entry".
  • Pictures posted should preferably be around 900px on their longest edge. You may link to a larger photograph in the post (I believe this is the size limit allowed by the Photography forum, however it likely hasn't been updated in some time)
  • All scales of model are allowed unless specified.

36763596246_74c3f2d170_o.jpg

Deadline for each bi-weekly competition will be 10:00pm EST on a Monday (or Tuesday), poll will be up by 10:30pm EST
Voting will close on Saturday at 10:30pm EST

This competition will close on October 16th.

Last edited:
I almost want to ask the "i.e." bits get put 2 lines down moving forward, but I will try my best to stop reading after the description.

This one sounds like fun; conveying a story. Thanks for choosing words that open up imagination, @GTP_Dutchy.

Could i have one more day? RL got in the way of shooting here. I'll try and get it up as soon as possible tomorrow.

Edit:

So once again my schedule changed and things opened up again for me.

When i was a little kid i had 3 big car posters on my wall. wich were an F50, an F40 and an EB110. The f50 and eb110 are almost 2 metres long. These cars fueled a life long passion for cars. So my competition pic is me basically looking back at my childhood with those nostalgic feelings! Here's an picture of the car poster I dug up at my fathers house a while back.

Sequence 01.Still001.png

Then about the competition...
I'm not entirely sure about the rules on this one. I sais no hdrs an all sort of actions that may or may not be taken. My first picture is merged out of two pics. Wich i'm not sure is allowed. @LongbowX If it is allowed please include pic 1 on as my final entry if not than take the pic 2 as that one should be okay.​

So pic 1

Childhood in a nutshell
Final.jpg

Selfie settings: Canon 600D/T3i -- 24-70mm F4 L USM @30mm -- F4 -- 1/200th -- ISO100 -- Tripod
Cars settings: Canon 600D/T3i -- 24-70mm F4 L USM @30mm -- F10 -- 1/80th -- ISO100 -- Tripod

pic 2

Childhood in a nutshell
final_2.jpg

Canon 600D/T3i -- 24-70mm F4 L USM @30mm -- F10 -- 1/80th -- ISO100 -- Tripod

Last edited:
Also @GTP_Dutchy , that's a really lovely shot (both of them). It does say in the rules no HDR shots, to encourage less editing. I don't know if we want to re-open that discussion. For the poll, I will use the second shot.

Also @GTP_Dutchy , that's a really lovely shot (both of them). It does say in the rules no HDR shots, to encourage less editing. I don't know if we want to re-open that discussion. For the poll, I will use the second shot.
But if i'm right your background isn't taken in one shot with the cars either right? So if that's the case mine should be legal aswell. Anyway my opinion on it would be to give people full range of techniques and come up with the best result they can. just my 2 cents i get that i'm just a newcomer and the competition is running for a long time now so i don't quite know where those rules originate from and if thats still relevant. i think it's up to you and the rest of the regulars to decide.

Edit:
P.s. Mine is nog a hdr it's just 2 pics merged together.

Last edited:
But if i'm right your background isn't taken in one shot with the cars either right? So if that's the case mine should be legal aswell. Anyway my opinion on it would be to give people full range of techniques and come up with the best result they can. just my 2 cents i get that i'm just a newcomer and the competition is running for a long time now so i don't quite know where those rules originate from and if thats still relevant. i think it's up to you and the rest of the regulars to decide.

Edit:
P.s. Mine is nog a hdr it's just 2 pics merged together.

I think it was actually, I reckon he just used a monitor as his background. Not going to lie, I thought the background was edited too until I saw the reflection on the models!

As for rules, I would be all for opening up more techniques, but my personal stance is that we shouldn't be able to introduce foreign shapes/images into the original. While it's unlikely, people could abuse the technique to entirely alter the original.
Although, since we're on this topic of rules, could we maybe allow editing out dust specks (if everyone agrees of course)? There's been countless times where I've had to retake a shot simply because I didn't clean a hard to reach spot and only saw it on the picture, where two clicks with the clone tool would've fixed everything. It's a huge pain when shooting small scales.

Last edited:
I think it was actually, I reckon he just used a monitor as his background. Not going to lie, I thought the background was edited too until I saw the reflection on the models!

As for rules, I would be all for opening up more techniques, but my personal stance is that we shouldn't be able to introduce foreign shapes/images into the original. While it's unlikely, people could abuse the technique to entirely alter the original.
Although, since we're on this topic of rules, could we maybe allow editing out dust specks is (if everyone agrees of course)? There's been countless times where I've had to retake a shot simply because I didn't clean a hard to reach spot and only saw it on the picture, where two clicks with the clone tool would've fixed everything.

Yeah now I see it as well.

@Apok You would be correct, it is indeed my TV as the background.

I do think that the "line" for editing should be at introducing other images into the original as well. Editing dust spots I am inclined to allow, if people agree, I will add that to the rules as something allowed for the next competition.

@GTP_Dutchy Since it is two photos merged together, that would still be not allowed. HDR is multiple shots merged together as well. In the Original Post below the Theme for the week, there are the rules listed. For myself, I think I prefer it still having the editing be limited so that the playing field is more level. However, if (more likely when) you do win again, you are allowed to pick an "Open Edit" theme, that could allow more editing.

I think I will do a general tidy-up and rewrite of the rules for next week to make it clearer (hopefully).

@Apok You would be correct, it is indeed my TV as the background.

I do think that the "line" for editing should be at introducing other images into the original as well. Editing dust spots I am inclined to allow, if people agree, I will add that to the rules as something allowed for the next competition.

@GTP_Dutchy Since it is two photos merged together, that would still be not allowed. HDR is multiple shots merged together as well. In the Original Post below the Theme for the week, there are the rules listed. For myself, I think I prefer it still having the editing be limited so that the playing field is more level. However, if (more likely when) you do win again, you are allowed to pick an "Open Edit" theme, that could allow more editing.

I think I will do a general tidy-up and rewrite of the rules for next week to make it clearer (hopefully).

Fair enough. At least the rules are clear for me now I think. That's all I wanted to be honest.

So just to see if get this correct. If I'd put the 2nd picture on a monitor and put it behind the cars it would be considered legal right?

Results would be pretty much the same only the technique to get there will be different.

@GTP_Dutchy The results would be the same (more or less, I think it would be a lot more difficult to get the same effect using a screen behind). It's less about this specific case, and more about how the rule would be applied generally. It would require the rules to be very specific regarding what is and isn't allowed. If we start allowing 2 images put together, then some people who enjoy editing photos could just put the model into another image altogether. While it might look great, it would require effort (and more effort for other people who have less experience editing). I believe it's not the route the competition should go.

I am going to change to rules to allow subtle editing corrections though, as I do think editing photos is easier and more accessible now than it was when the competition was originally created.

Last edited:
@GTP_Dutchy The results would be the same (more or less, I think it would be a lot more difficult to get the same effect using a screen behind). It's less about this specific case, and more about how the rule would be applied generally. It would require the rules to be very specific regarding what is and isn't allowed. If we start allowing 2 images put together, then some people who enjoy editing photos could just put the model into another image altogether. While it might look great, it would require effort (and more effort for other people who have less experience editing). I believe it's not the route the competition should go.

I am going to change to rules to allow subtle editing corrections though, as I do think editing photos is easier and more accessible now than it was when the competition was originally created.
Okay I'm all fine on the subject as long as it's clear. I'm good. But I thought it would be good to have the discussion to clear out the grey zone. Now I know what ballpark I can play in and it's size will be sufficient for what I like to do.

If I'd put the 2nd picture on a monitor and put it behind the cars it would be considered legal right?

Think of it this way: Only one photograph is allowed to make the final product.

So if you want to include as many things in your picture; your cars + your face, if you can get that in one shot like an OG photographer, then you're good.

Back