Autopolis: Terrific flow!

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 28 comments
Greece
Salonica
I tried out Autopolis for the first time today and did about 100 km of time trial. It's easily one of my favorites already because of it's flow that I find really pleasing. After being acquainted with the circuit I don't find any corner awkward. A couple of really tricky but so fun if you get them just right sections, and is a lot of fun in faster cars.

Thanks PD for bringing this circuit to Gran Turismo. :cheers:

Definitely a lovely track, I personally only still struggle with the blind apex of turn 1... but other than that, it’s awesome.

The AI has some issues in turn 11 (iirc), the right hander after the left hairpin and downhill part... they’re very slow there and hog the apex so you’ll have to be prepared to go around the outside of them there...

I have only done a handful of laps but it's great. Just waiting for it to come to circuit experience now, then I'll give it a good go at learning it.

It reminds me of a tighter version of Sepang. Although, the final part of the circuit map looks very similar to the first part of Sepang, so perhaps that's what led me in that direction.

I've only been driving a gr.2 car around Autopolis so far but have really enjoyed learning the track. It has all types of corners and is a real challenge. I can fairly consistently lap in the 1.38's so far but I know I'm losing a load of time in the last sector so still work to be done.

I haven't raced yet but imagine the long fast corners are a nightmare on x13 tyre wear.

Definitely a lovely track, I personally only still struggle with the blind apex of turn 1... but other than that, it’s awesome.

I know what you mean about turn 1. I'm learning the track using the cones and it seems that the turn in cone for turn 1 is in the wrong place. Turn in there and you'll cut the corner. That could just be me turning in too sharply but it seems a late turn in for a fast exit is much quicker.

I find it rather boring, however my favorites are Mount Panorama and the Nordschleife. I only did the professional league race on it so far (GR.2) but will do the endurance one today, see if it grows on me in 30 laps or if I get too bored to continue.

Where's Monaco!!!! That's a fun tight track I've not raced on for too long.

At a cursory glance the track seems super uninspiring. But it’s so technical with so many off-camber corners. More difficult than Catalunya, I love it. Can’t wait for the Circuit experience for it, and get those time trials going.

I am really enjoying Autopolis. It is terrific to have a new technical circuit. I'm a big fan of it and am very much looking forward to throwing my Dallara SF19 (Toyota powered of course) round it.

My first impressions were the same as the OP, it has a great great flow to it. Each lap one goes round, it's plain to see that whomever designed this racetrack put alot of thought behind each sector, and they must have some experience behind the wheel too.
Kudo's. Yet another reason to visit Japan.

It's a pretty good circuit, but nothing special.

Its a slightly above avg circuit but its a pretty ok circuit for Japan.

I'd put it in the giant pile of mediocre to avg. circuits around the world probably spearheaded by Catalyuna.

If Spa is "S rank", Autopolis is at best a B rank and that's being generous.

COTA, Yas Marina, Guia would rank about D at best.

I just did the 10 lap Gr.2 challenge and I feel the track is about at its limit on this class of car. I hazard to think how SF19s fare on it.

My initial thoughts were its an extended version of the end of Fuji GP.

Now that I know it better it definitely far more Suzuka than Fuji.

Great track to drive, possibly a bit too tight for racing.

Personally think it’s an awful track for racing. Great for drifting, great for hot lapping. But it’s just not very good for racing.

What doesn’t really help is that my driving is all over the place on the track and I just can’t find any good lines at all. I lose time everywhere. Really not a fan!

My most favourite track in the game atm. I mainly hot lapping the road cars, some of it's sections reminds me Deep Forest and the other two from the holy trinity original GT tracks. It has the best flow the profile of the most turns is so good even the long straight sections are not boring like on the most other circuits my only complain is that i can't see the first turn after main straight couldn't see the curbs when the turn starts.

After 2 days of racing i can say Autopolis is my favorite track in GTS :) The flow is great, i love all the middle quick turns and the fact that there is nothing who can be driven with full throttle, exept the straight of course. All in one Autopolis is like a big kart track for me. Thanx, Poly!

Another one here who loves it. I jumped straight into the Group 3 endurance race in a BOPd McLaren F1 despite not knowing the track.

And boy was it tough to begin with. I must have been off the circuit 4 or 5 times in the first two laps and had already lost 17 seconds on 19th place by the end of lap 1!

After that I stuck the soft tyres (instead of the default hards) on and started flying around the circuit enjoying the flow and finding the right lines. Managed to take the lead on the penultimate lap and win the race.

Great fun and the Group 2 race I just did in the old NSX was fun as well. Downforce to the max and then just pushing it around all the ups, downs, swoops and hairpins.

I’m enjoying it quite a bit. A great track for learning to look at corners as sets instead of approaching each individually.

I hope a reverse variant comes. It flows just as well. The hill section is interesting this way both up and down.

Took my DTM tuned E30 for a spin. Just a really cool track for such a car. Would be so sweet for some Group A touring car racing at Auto-Po-lis.

Back