Autoweek Nissan article

Messages
5,677
(08:28 May 03, 2004)
Nissan's boxy Cube, next-gen Skyline GT-R expected to come to U.S.


By YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News

cube.jpg


TOKYO -- Nissan Motor Co. is expected to sell the next generation of its tiny Cube and the high-performance Skyline GT-R sports car in the United States.

The Cube could become Nissan's youth-targeted Toyota Scion-fighter, and the Skyline GT-R would extend the Infiniti range.

"The next Cube and the next Skyline GT-R will be sold globally," says Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn.

He wouldn't say where the cars would be sold, but analysts expect them to be in U.S. showrooms. Both cars are being engineered for North America.

"There are no global markets without America," says Tatsuo Yoshida of Deutsche Securities Ltd. in Tokyo.

The boxy 1.4-liter Cube will be redesigned in 2006.

Nissan stopped production of the 280-hp, 2.6 liter Skyline GT-R in 2002, but a new version is planned in 2007.

The Cube, which costs the equivalent of $10,890 in Japan, could counter the Scion brand. Toyota sold 7,675 units of the similarly shaped Scion xB in the United States during the first quarter of this year. The xB starts at $13,680, including destination.

The new tC sports coupe will be added to the Scion lineup in June. Toyota forecasts Scion sales to total 100,000 in the United States next year. The Scion brand now consists of the boxy xB and wedge-shaped xA hatchback.

Next year's redesigned Nissan Sentra will be larger than the current model, says Kunihiko Shiohara, analyst at Goldman Sachs (Japan) Ltd. He says the Cube could be needed for positioning below the Sentra.

Shiohara and other analysts expect Nissan to build the Cube at its Aguascalientes, Mexico, plant.

Analysts say the Skyline GT-R would help boost Infiniti's image. The car "could be the top brand among Infiniti sports cars," says Shotaro Noguchi of Mitsubishi Securities.

The new Cube and Skyline GT-R are among 28 new and redesigned models Nissan says it will introduce in the next three years.

The plan calls for annual global sales of 4.2 million units in the fiscal year ending in March 2008. Nissan expects to sell 3.38 million vehicles in the fiscal year which began in April.

Of the extra 820,000 sales, the Japanese automaker expects 250,000 to come from North America, 150,000 from Japan, 70,000 from Europe and 350,000 from other markets.

Nissan has ample cash to develop the models. It posted a record operating profit of $7.29 billion on a consolidated basis in the fiscal year that ended March 31.

The 11.9 percent jump from the previous year was driven by a 10.4 percent increase in global unit sales to 3.05 million, the first time Nissan sales have topped 3 million in 13 years.

That pushed Nissan's operating margin up by 0.3 percentage points to 11.1 percent. Net income also rose 1.7 percent to $4.45 billion on revenues of $65.60 billion, up 8.8 percent over the previous year.
 
TOKYO -- Nissan Motor Co. is expected to sell the next generation of its tiny Cube and the high-performance Skyline GT-R sports car in the United States.
:bowdown: :D
 
Yea, I remember reading this in a car and driver mag or something. I think it said projected time was like 2006/2007. Would be interesting to see GT-R's driving around again.
 
Nissan has ample cash to develop the models. It posted a record operating profit of $7.29 billion on a consolidated basis in the fiscal year that ended March 31.

7 billion should make for a nice GTR ;)
 
2007...Hpmh. Nissan will forget about it and make something else.

Don't you'll know we have the Skyline already in the states?
 
Originally posted by Darin
2007...Hpmh. Nissan will forget about it and make something else.

Don't you'll know we have the Skyline already in the states?

I know, thats why I said GTR, not Skyline :p

and no they wont forget They need a high end sports car, the Z isn't cutting it.
 
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
I know, thats why I said GTR, not Skyline :p

and no they wont forget They need a high end sports car, the Z isn't cutting it.

No doubt. A low end sports car would be nice too. They should throw us a bone and hook up the US with a Pulsar GTi-R.
 
I know it's all about the GT-R but........

Why do they need to make a Box?

Gee.... I never understood the design on those cars....

Its a box and it looks identical to the xb cause it looks like a box!!:confused:
 
Originally posted by animateria
I know it's all about the GT-R but........

Why do they need to make a Box?

Gee.... I never understood the design on those cars....

Its a box and it looks identical to the xb cause it looks like a box!!:confused:


:lol: lmao. they DO look the same, except i like scion lights and stuff better.

this cube thing looks like the bronco concept with a scion ass.

but yeah, i hope they make the GTR nice and stuff. i hope it has room on the interior...wide and long and high.

i remember sitting in a Z at a dealership. i had to tuck my head under the roof, my knees were jabbing the wheel, and the seat was slightly narrow, lmao. (not as bad as a celica, i got plenty of laughs with my head jutting out of the open sunroof. all the ppl around me loved it too...<_<)
 
Originally posted by Omnis
:lol: lmao. they DO look the same, except i like scion lights and stuff better.

this cube thing looks like the bronco concept with a scion ass.

but yeah, i hope they make the GTR nice and stuff. i hope it has room on the interior...wide and long and high.

i remember sitting in a Z at a dealership. i had to tuck my head under the roof, my knees were jabbing the wheel, and the seat was slightly narrow, lmao. (not as bad as a celica, i got plenty of laughs with my head jutting out of the open sunroof. all the ppl around me loved it too...<_<)

Well keep in mind that the GTR's have traditionally been 2+2's so I'm willing to bet the next gen GTR will be the same, they also had some 4 door R34's, it would be interesting to see those revived again.

I'm willing to bet that the GTR will keep the afterburner style lights, I'd love to see these
GT500LED_001.jpg


One thing about the article though....its seems to uphold the fact that the GTR will be an infiniti.... :( I don't want an infiniti GTR damnit it want a NISSAN.
 
Originally posted by Omnis
this cube thing looks like the bronco concept with a scion ass.

but yeah, i hope they make the GTR nice and stuff. i hope it has room on the interior...wide and long and high.

i remember sitting in a Z at a dealership. i had to tuck my head under the roof, my knees were jabbing the wheel, and the seat was slightly narrow, lmao. (not as bad as a celica, i got plenty of laughs with my head jutting out of the open sunroof. all the ppl around me loved it too...<_<)

Back in Yokota I had a friend who had an R32. The head room was comparable to that of my S13, it was a comfortable distance between myself and the roof. I'm 185.5 cm btw.
 
well thats great news. (especailly since the s13 is my fav car. lol)
 
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
7 billion should make for a nice GTR ;)

Just because they made 7 billion doesn't mean it's all going into funding GT-R development. It's going in seperate directions. But that proves that Nissan should be able to fund the development of the car.
 
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
Well keep in mind that the GTR's have traditionally been 2+2's so I'm willing to bet the next gen GTR will be the same, they also had some 4 door R34's, it would be interesting to see those revived again.

I'm willing to bet that the GTR will keep the afterburner style lights, I'd love to see these
GT500LED_001.jpg


One thing about the article though....its seems to uphold the fact that the GTR will be an infiniti.... :( I don't want an infiniti GTR damnit it want a NISSAN.

Yeah, its too bad that those 4 door R34 are GTT, which is FR sedans. I hope they have both 2 door and 4 door design of the GT-R. Ill take the cheaper one :D.

I also love those taillights, I cant wait to see the final concept of this GT-R. In the year 2006-2007. Hooray!

Im saving up for a GT-R, now I only have 200 dollar but its all cool!
 
Originally posted by rollazn
Im saving up for a GT-R, now I only have 200 dollar but its all cool!
Only a few more million more lawns to cut.:lol:
 
Originally posted by ViperUK
Just because they made 7 billion doesn't mean it's all going into funding GT-R development. It's going in seperate directions. But that proves that Nissan should be able to fund the development of the car.

Do you honestly think I'm THAT stupid? :rolleyes: I know that, and that was my point :p
 
Originally posted by skylineGTR_guy
Do you honestly think I'm THAT stupid? :rolleyes: I know that, and that was my point :p

Yes! :rolleyes:
 
Back