Average push-ups/sit-ups?

England
England
porthillking
Hi all. I'm starting a work out routine to get myself fit enough for the RAF. My question is, what would you say is the average amount of push-ups and sit-ups for a reasonably fit, 15 year old boy? I can do 30 push-ups, and 30 sit-ups already, without a time limit.

Hi all. I'm starting a work out routine to get myself fit enough for the RAF. My question is, what would you say is the average amount of push-ups and sit-ups for a reasonably fit, 15 year old boy? I can do 30 push-ups, and 30 sit-ups already, without a time limit.

Not sure what the average for a fit 15 year old would be, but for the Armed Forces selection the answer is, indeed, as many as physically and mentally possible. Don't settle for just passing the requirements, as right now they can afford to be very picky with who passes selection.

See how many of each you can do in 30 seconds or a minute, best effort. Once you have this best effort benchmark you know what you have to beat.

Back before I bothered to try to work out, I was lucky to make it to ten push-ups within a minute. I maxed myself out on push-ups (among other things) hitting about 15 before I just couldn't and I had the most ungodly muscle aches the next day. Did my best again, this time a mere ten, then the next day, being in so much pain, waited a day. My muscles didn't hurt so much, so I tried it again.

Boom! 20 push ups in less than thirty seconds. I think part of it is muscle conditioning, but if you're an inactive person, don't be too horribly worried about a dismal amount. It'll go up very quickly.

After that point, I increased how many push-ups I did by five each week. So, as for an answer, I'll echo a person above me: do as many as you can, then when that becomes less a chore, increase it.

I'm also 15, and currently very athletic. As far as sit ups, my body is unbelievably skinny and flexible, and because of this I can do about 200 sit ups.. But as far as push-ups go, I can do about 35 at most. But like everybody's said, just push yourself, and set personal goals that will work for you. Before you know it, you'll be doing 40 push-ups. Then 45. Then 50. Just watch. Best of luck to you and your quest to reach the RAF mate.

I' really bad at sit-ups, so I can maybe do like ... 30 at best?
Howevee, I love push-ups and I do about 40 normal ones. I'm 14.

A few years ago, a friend told me to aim for doing 3 sets of reps for any exercise, including push ups. I've no idea if it's really necessary, but at the peak, I was doing three sets of 35, with 90 seconds of rest between them. I was in my early 20's, 5'11", and 160lbs, and hardly what I'd call in good shape, just decent.

The advice that's already in the thread is good; set attainable goals each week, but be adamant about them. You're your own biggest enemy with exercise, so just make sure you make the time to work on it, and you'll find results 👍

Oh, and burpees. Always more burpees :P.

Holy invisible spam threadbump, Batman! (Relax, he's gone...)

I can't do more than twenty straight nowadays without cramping. I'm getting old. And fat.

When I was still in fighting shape, back when I was seventeen, I could do about a hundred "fast" push-ups straight, or two sets of fifty "deep" ones.

Was never very good at sit-ups. Could do fifty straight, but they were heck.

Don't forget, you can always add resistance. Incline sit-ups and decline push-ups are a good example of adding resistance without weight. There is resistance you can add if you have access to equipment. Have fun.

I'm 14 and I can do;
55 normal push ups
20 narrow push ups
7 push ups on thumbs
100 sit ups.
I practice wing chun (kung fu) and my aim is to be a shaolin monk :-)

Latest Posts

Back