Awesome banked turn ruined by choppy pavement

• Thread starter chuyler1
  • 16 comments

chuyler1

Premium
United States
New Hampshire
chuyler1
I've had this happen on several of my tracks. A nice sweeping banked turn that you would expect to hit a full throttle is ruined because the course creator does a poor job of smoothing the banking. Anyone else experience this?

Watch the video below and you can see everyone had trouble with the banked right hander. Tires were sport soft.

It is. I love the high speed turn 1. Aside from the banked turn, I find it hard to get a good turn going into the front straight. It's always a hard blind uphill turn. I'll share the track if you want to take a spin. Add me 'chuyler1' and msg me a reminder to share it.

Ok heres the issue as I see it, extreme banking offline is awesome (it really is), but online it doesn't jive with the physics too well. You'll just end up swapping ends typically. You end up taking the banked turns very slowly, the same turns you were just zooming through offline. Its all in the physics as far as I can tell.

You can learn to drive on it I've found, instead of turning the wheel like you normally would get into the turn and hold the wheel as straight as possible and be ready to counter steer. But that assumes you can teach your freinds, and I've found it easier to just lesson the banking, most folks just prefer a flatter track to learning to drive on the banking.

I did a bit of banking testing online a while ago, and I came to the conclusion that the maximum acceptable banking is 5-6. 7-10 online is just asking for trouble.

Ok, i just dropped the banking from 10 to 5 on that turn...I will run it again in my 450pp lobby and see if people do better.

Well, I reduced the banking on that turn from 10 to 5 and it felt a little smoother. A few drivers had trouble during free run but they raised their suspensions and all was good. My Mitsubishi was running -5/-5 ride height in the video below. The car tends to push on most tracks which made it perfect for this track. Not very fast on the straight but I managed 2nd after a lap 1 accident. Only place where my car could use some work is the last turn before the straight. It hops over the hill. Everyone had trouble on that turn as you can see in the video. Actually, this track tends to separate the good drivers from the mediocre drivers. There are some decreasing radius turns where you really have to hold back and wait for the apex. Drivers that push their car to the limit on entry run wide on exit.

If you are interested in trying out the track, you can friend me 'chuyler1'. I have it shared.

. My Mitsubishi was running -5/-5 ride height in the video below.

I had a feeling ride height might possibly factor into this, I'll have to do some testing of that.

So did you raise your car up a bit?

No, I switched cars. In the first video I had a loose TVR. In second video I was running an old '83 Mitsubishi Lancer which was very tight. Since the car was pretty much never going to oversteer I could carry a higher speed into the turn and just let it slide to the top of the track. Both cars are at around -5 ride height because that's what I typically tune my cars for. A few of the other drivers went with ride heights around +10 and said it felt better to them. I think raising the height too much would introduce too much body roll in turn 1.

Overall though, this is a fun course. I've tried to make some more fun tracks at Mt. Aso but I keep coming back to this one. Its a good mix of straights, sweepers, and tight technical turns....but it is simple enough that you can memorize it after a few laps.

As choppy as the last turn is, I think it is an equalizer. You could have a fast car for the front straight but if you don't nail that last turn, you won't be close enough for a draft and pass.

Even the bankings on the track used in the Seasonals feel the same. It's like driving around the inside of an umbrella. I'm sure each banking is made up of a number of flat sections, and each join is noticable.

You are probably right. I just wish it was more like the Cape Ring loop or the back turn at Trial Mountain. Oh well, course builder has so many other issues I probably shouldn't complain...but every track always has a flaw you can't fix. A blind turn, an unwanted bump, too much elevation change, the list goes on. The course maker has so much potential yet is handicaped by the "random" aspect.

Don't like the elevation changes?
Change the map and all of a sudden every turn on the track has changed.

Want to make a sector a little more complex?
Change the complexity and the entire track changes

A turn is too tight?
Decrease the sharpness and it affects all the other turns.

Arrggg!

Having that much banking is just too much to begin with, regardless of the game's physics. The second video still looks on the high end but is much better. You could probably get away with 3 and make that turn quite challenging but still have good speed but not so much that you get blindsided by the exit before the straight.

Even at 0, the turn before the straight will be blind. no way around it. It's a flaw with how the straight lines up with the rest of the track. I've seen this problem on lots of tracks. Here's someone else's track with close to the same issue. Very blind last turn.

Yeah getting a good final corner at MT Aso is pretty hard.

I usually try to start with a track at Mt Aso that has a good final turn, from viewing the map. Once you get used to it You can just read the map and tell if its gonna be the same old crappy final turn or something else

Yeah, i'm learning to look for certain things with the map now...mostly I want flat courses so anything with elevation lines close together i skip. I wish changing the geography didn't change the course layout (so you could find a good map, then apply it to a good geography)...but there's a lot of wishful thinking with course maker so whatever.

I don't like the generation at MT. Aso personally, I created 1 map there I liked and deleted it shortly after because it had that abrupt end into the straight. It would be nicer if the straightaways could appear in different location, it seems like it's kind of set on being in that one hilly area.

I don't like the generation at MT. Aso personally, I created 1 map there I liked and deleted it shortly after because it had that abrupt end into the straight. It would be nicer if the straightaways could appear in different location, it seems like it's kind of set on being in that one hilly area.

Yeah Mt. Aso seems to only have 2 spots where the front staight will land. But you can still come up with decent tracks there which wont have abrupt ends to the straightaway, you just have to be patient.

I've got a Mt. Aso map that has a not so slow speed corner before the straight (60+ depending on the car). It has straightening at +5 in section 7 and 1 which made it a lot less abrupt.

Back