B license using controller is it possible

• Thread starter DTHolm
  • 19 comments
United States
United States
Saving up for a racing wheel but I have spent days and hours trying to pass My B test. I do a lot of custom races, tunning up my cars, and buying parts. So has anyone got their B License? If I drive fast I'm off the track If I dive slow my time is around 4.8. I have other none races stuff but This draws me back to it time and time again.

Wait what? of course it is possible on controller - i did all the licences on Dualsense

you got trouble doing the Clio final test??? if so look at the replay , switch ghost on and keep doing it - you should get at least the bronze

Last edited:
Very possible. I was able to get S license with the DS5. If you're having trouble, try to refer to the demonstrations in the game, or you could search on YouTube. A LOT of tutorials and tips on passing them.
(Be mindful as the physics had a massive overhaul back in March so the lines they take and times they run may be completely different from what's possible now)

Last edited:
Very possible. I was able to get S license with the DS5.
There is no DS5. ;)
But yes, it is possible to finish all licenses with either DualShock4 or DualSense controller.
It is also possible to gold olf licenses with them.
If I drive fast I'm off the track If I dive slow my time is around 4.8. I have other none races stuff but This draws me back to it time and time again.
This doesnt sound like something a wheel will solve, but fingers crossed it keeps you entertained and interested :)

7lcesy.gif

Plenty of us out there playing GT7 with a controller. Personally, I had no issue obtaining all of the licenses using a DS on my PS5. At the very least, bronze should be obtainable by most even if some portions need a couple times to pass as you get used to the track, car, etc.

Gran tourismo is one of the few games were ( besides some fluctuations due to the different physic updates ) controller is kind of competitive against the wheel users, ofcours a wheel has some advantages, but......, there are setups with cars/tracks were the controller users seem to have an advantage.

Personally i am a DS4 user and completed all in the game, some things are hard, but practise makes perfect.
So more than doable!

Controller is perfectly fine. You're probably missing apexes and not using the full width of the track on exit and entry. Don't focus on going "fast" or "slow" but on being accurate. Most cars can trail brake into the corner then you will probably have to coast through the apex and hit the throttle at the exit. Turn off all of the assists except traction control and ABS. Use as little traction control as you can without spinning out.

I'm pretty sure I golded all my licenses (B-IA) on a controller. Didn't do the S licenses until after I had a wheel as the S license isn't even necessary to play the whole game.

Last edited:
Saving up for a racing wheel but I have spent days and hours trying to pass My B test. I do a lot of custom races, tunning up my cars, and buying parts. So has anyone got their B License? If I drive fast I'm off the track If I dive slow my time is around 4.8. I have other none races stuff but This draws me back to it time and time again.

Just keep practicing and trying 😌

Not only is it possible, it’s likely easier now than it ever was before the way the road cars handle now compared to previously thanks to the recent physics changes.
That reminds me I should really go back and see if I can gold those few remaining in Super License now!

I don’t recall the license tests all that well as I completed them all within the first few days after the game released, but I know I not only completed, but golded all National B and A without issue using DualSense controller.

Keep trying! Gran Turismo has a history of difficulty. As others have said, study the in game demonstrations and watch youtube videos. Pay attention to lines, breaking points, steering angle... there's always room for improvement. Or do what I did and just suck for over a decade and love every moment of it.

Keep practicing and focus on driving correctly. Pay attention to the hints the game give you. It gives helpful advice on the license tests. Good luck in your tests, the controller for the game, PS4 or PS5 are both very good with the game. If you buy a racing wheel tomorrow, it'll take 2 to 3 weeks to get back to where your pad times are now. A wheel is much more difficult than the pad, both in coordination and physical effort you have to apply. All the best in your endeavors.

TJC GAMING 👍🏻

I got all gold in all the licenses with a controller. Try using only TCS1 or 0, and use ALL of the available track to make turns faster. Use the ghost and imitate its line.

Last edited:
Gran Turismo is not THAT hard. When you can't even pass B on a controller, you're looking at the sim of the century. :lol:

Back