B-Spec 24 Hours of Le Mans in a Peugeot 908 (COMPLETED!)

• Thread starter stpatty
  • 18 comments
Scotland
Scotland
stpatty
The sun is shining, it's a beautiful day and all you can hear at the Circuit de la Sarthe is the sound of engines.

Ach to pot with that, here goes my first race report for my first real-time 24 hour race.

Settings:
Downforce: 60/80
Transmission: 236mph
LSD -
Torque: 25
Acceleration: 50
Braking: 40
Suspension -
Ride height: -3/0
Spring rate: 11.1/16.4
Dampers (Ext/Com): 8/8, 8/8
Anti-roll bars: 6/6
Camber andgle: 0.5/0.5
Toe angle: 0/0.2
Brakes: 5/5

Starting on racing softs and with Andy Bates at the wheel, the race begins at 16:00 GMT.

Cars running:
Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03
BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97
Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98
Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10
Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ‘03
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99
BMW V12 LMR Race Car '99
AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR Race Car '98
Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51 '00
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 ‘00

I'll be updating this hourly or if something interesting happens. Any input, suggestions, help or encouragement is welcome, and thanks for taking time to read this.

One hour in and I fear I may have made a mistake.

The 908's not reaching the speed that the others are on the straights, and tyre wear/fuel use doesn't seem as if it'll make a difference, since the first stint on soft tyres used 85 litres before the tyres were worn out.

The added downside of this of course is that since this is B-Spec, to make the driver put up semi-respectable lap-times I'll need to spam the increase pace button, which I can't do when I'm asleep. I think for the next pitstop it'll be medium tyres again plus a full tank, as that seems to be the best combination for both high lap times and fuel consumption.

Ed - current top 6:
Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03
BMW V12 LMR Race Car '99
Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99
Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ‘03

Still though, we were fifth before the first pit stops, so there's still some hope for the next 23 hours. It is a marathon, not a sprint after all

Two hours in and I still fear I have made a mistake.

The 908 is not nearly powerful enough to win this race on B-Spec, even with guidance. I also tried hard tyres after a pit stop, but changed back to medium after 2 or 3 laps, the times were utterly dreadful. Still nothing new in terms of what would make a good tyre strategy, but it doesn't seem like it'll make a difference. I'm going to try for at least a podium in this race, going by the fastest lap times it's very possible, so with a bit of luck and a lot of spamming increase pace, I reckon it can be done. I'm currently trying the increase pace spamming the now to see how much of a difference it makes to lap times, I'll hold off for a minute to get it in. Meanwhile, standings:

1. Bentley
2. Pescarolo C60 Hybride
3. BMW V12 LMR
4. Toyota GT-ONE
5. Pescarolo Courage C60
6. Peugeot 908

Lap time with spamming: 3:46.454 (compared to a 3:40 best for the 908, and a 3:37 for the C60 Hybride and a 3:38 for the Bentley). Granted it wasn't consistent and there was bad traffic towards the end, but I reckon it could help.

3 hours in and something resembling a strategy is taking place.

Medium tyres will wear out by 85 litres of fuel. Even less if you're being careful with the tyres, but 85 seems to be the limit. Will this time saved on pitstops be beneficial in the long run? I'd need to time their pitstops and I'm not going that far. I'm happy with that though, so I switched to softs, currently looks to be about halfway through the tyres with around 57 litres of fuel. It doesn't seem like it'll make much difference in the pit stop area though, so here's hoping the quicker lap times help (his last lap was below the times of all the leading cars!)

If you were wondering, then to go with Andy Bates today have been Bernie Powers and Jason Bumgarner. All are level 33, all have hot characters.

Standings:
1. Bentley
2. Pescarolo C60 Hybride
3. BMW V12 LMR
4. Peugeot 908
5. Pescarolo Courage C60
6. Toyota GT-ONE

Oh, and the front right of the car has quite the dent in it. Must've been from lapping one of the Vipers :P

Four hours in and the shadows are getting longer

This physical and mental strength stuff is nonsense. Because there's only three drivers, if you run them all one after the other with pitting when only necessary for tyres/fuel, they don't recover in time when it's their next shot. I'm not saying they're fully depleted, but the physical strength bar's at about 80%.

Had some more fun with the increase pace button on the last lap, got the best lap time down to 3:39, and that was with fairly depleted soft tyres (which I'll probably be running for the rest of the race). Team Bob's current lap times seem to fluctuate between on a par with the leaders and a few seconds off, and as Andy Bates goes across the line to start lap 62, he unlaps himself from the C60 Hybride who was pitting. I reckon a few hours solid pace increasing before bed should get him closer, or at least not getting lapped all the time.

Standings:
1. Bentley
2. C60 Hybride
3. BMW V12 LMR
4. Peugeot 908
5. Courage C60
6. GT-ONE

5 hours in and the headlights are on

A podium is now a distinct possibility. The BMW is staying behind me for longer periods in between pit stops, and I'm sticking in better lap times too. I'm even coming close to the leaders. The driver strength bars are becoming increasingly depleted though, which I fear will scupper any chance of pushing for a win, which I still feel is possibile. Currently on lap 76, I think he's going to ulpa from the C60 Hybride soon. We'll have a long night-shift to budge him as well I reckon!

Standings:
1. C60 Hybride
2. Bentley
3. BMW
4. Peugeot
5. GT-ONE
6. Courage C60

6 hours in and these fireworks are beautiful

I feel I'm going a bit sappy! Now that the fireworks are out and the guys are putting in stunning lap times (a 3:34.991 their best, compared to 3:37 for the C60 and 3:38 for the Bentley), I do honestly feel that this can be done. It also looks like there will be 91 laps completed after the 6 hour mark, which means that, with no rain, we should have 364 laps, pretty respectable since it's my first time managing one of these. For reference, the 908's in the 2009 Le Mans race did 382 and 381 laps in their 1-2 finish. I do think I will need to go to the hard tyres soon though to keep the strength levels up. Hitting increase pace doesn't last for long enough when the strength levels are low, so it'll be difficult to find a proper balancing point between speed and longevity. Happily though, the top three position seems secured, although pulling out a lead on the BMW will be a slow and gradual process, I'm still catching up to the Bentley and the Pescarolo.

Standings:
1. C60 Hybride
2. Bentley
3. Peugeot
4. BMW

7 hours in and the game is finally showing what it can do
It's taken a while, but the true magic of this game has been revealed for me, as well as a purpose for B-Spec. This is amazing. It's tense, it's exciting and it makes you analyse everything, exactly what racing should do. It is truly beautiful at night as well, the grandstands lit up, the pit-lane.... my. I wish I could get the replay from 7 hours in purely to take photos of that, as it's far more breathtaking than anything I've seen anywhere else in this game. As for the race itself, the same problems apply. My men are on medium tyres now in an effort to try and stay out a bit longer and allow for more reccuperation, but I doubt it'll work. Should make for an interesting final stint though.

Standings:
1. C60 Hybride (108 laps)
2. Bentley (108 laps +1:58.3)
3. Peugeot (108 laps +3:05.3) (will be lapped during current pit stop)

8 hours in and I think I'm in trouble

A podium is secured. The BMW isn't catching me. The problem is however, that as I write this, I've just been lapped by the leading Pescarolo, which shows no sign of slowing down. I'm starting to think that the car isn't the problem with not being able to win this, rather, the drivers. The next hour should see if the medium tyres/longer stint refresh strategy has worked, in which case I'll be able to give each driver a blast before I go to bed. Hopefully by then we should be slightly caught up, and ready for the final assault come morning. No sign of rain either, so all assumptions are based on the weather staying dry for the rest of the race. Knowing my luck however it'll rain during the night, the tyres wont change properly and I'll wake up to find the Bob's have been overtaken by the Vipers.

Standings:
1. Pescarolo (125 laps)
2. Bentley (125 laps, +1:43.5)
3. Peugeot (124 laps, a lap behind (I think))

9 hours in and I think I'm going giddy

Sleep is no longer an option. Andy Murray's tennis match in the Australian Open starts at half three (in two and a half hours), I can last that! Did it all the time when the Avs played the Sharks in the playoffs last year. Plus it'll let me keep a better eye on the Bobs, as they can actually run sub 3:40 laps when I'm watching them, which is a winning pace at this level. One small crumb of comfort has surfaced with regards to driver strength levels, I am actually better off than the cars I'm chasing, so hopefully that'll help me, even if I'm going to be pushing them hard. In fact, the Pescarolo especially is definately pitting more often, this will be an interesting few hours.

Standings:
1. Pescarolo (138 laps)
2. Bentley (138 laps +59.7)
3. Peugeot (138 laps +1:50)

10 hours in and we're definitely at the witching hour

Well.... what can I say. let me start with the standings:
1. Peugeot (152 laps)
2. Bentley (152 laps, +6.3)
3. Pescarolo (152 laps, +1:37)

The Pescarolo went through an odd phase where it seemed to pit every lap, so did the Bentley although not as often. In fact as I write this, the Bentley has pitted again and is 35.7 seconds behind. While it's presumptuous to say the race is won, should this pitting schedule continue then it's certainly a possibility. I think it's because of the low strength levels of the other drivers, there's no other reason for it. I ain't complaining anyway, that's for sure :D

Note: this may or may not be my last update tonight... if it isn't, the next one will be at 11AM GMT, or 19 hours in. Wish my Bobs luck folks!

19 hours in and I think I've been struck dumb

The Pescarolo is 5th. The Bentley is 6th. They've been pitting all night and are now well out of the running. The 908 has been solid, he wasn't stuck in a wall when I got back and I don't think it had rained at any point, although I've not kept track of pace so I can't be sure. The sun is long up, as it was when I was woken up earlier actually. Looks like I'll have to wait til A-Spec for me to see the sunrise, and to be honest I'm not complaining. Me not telling the drivers when to pit seems to have helped their strength levels as well ironically, so that's a nice bonus. And that was running soft tyres all night.

Standings:
1. Peugeot (289 laps)
2. Audi R10 (282 laps)
3. BMW V12 LMR (280 laps)
4. AMG Mercedes (280 laps)
5. C60 Hybride (280 laps)
6. Bentley (279 laps)

20 hours in and I'm praying for no powercuts

Not much to update with now, though I want to have another blast at the increase pace button before the end, see if we can get a sub 3:30 lap time. The times themselves are fairly consistent right now, putting in 3:40-3:50's depending on the tyres and driver strength levels. One thing to note, this car certainly looks like it's been in the wars. The front is bashed at both side, and the left rear looks to have taken a good shunt from someone. Good thing there's no damage though, right? ;) The BMW and the C60 Hybride are both much worse off though.

Standings:
1. Peugeot (302 laps)
2. Audi (295 laps)
3. Mercedes (293 laps)
4. BMW (293 laps)
5. C60 Hybride (292 laps)
6. Nissan R390 (291 laps)

21 hours in and the oil change light is on...

317 laps and sun is still blazing, so I'm not going to experience rain in my first 24 hour race, sadly. No change from last time, still unnecessary pitting from all the other cars and nothing but consistency from the Bob's.

Standings are the same as the last time.

22 hours in and I want my PS3 back!

It's a shame that the pitting of the other cars has happened, it's ruined this race. I still don't know why it's happened, but at least it'll prove that you don't need to just give Bob an X1 and watch him destroy everything. I really hope that when i do this on A-Spec, the pitting is regular and normal, and I get some rain as well. The laptimes being put in by my Bob's curently are very good, taking the need for an oil change into account.

Standings:
1. 908 (333 laps)
2. Audi (325 laps)
3. Mercedes (323 laps)
4. BMW V12 LMR (321 laps)
5. C60 Hybride (321 laps)
6. Nissan R390 (321 laps)
7. Bentley (320 laps)
8. Toyota (318 laps)
9. BMW McLaren F1 (318 laps)
10. Courage C60 (318 laps)
11. Dodge Viper #91 (306 laps)
12. Dodge Viper #51 (303 laps)

23 hours in and the end is in sight!

The time limit at the bottom right has appeared. This has been tremendous fun, I advise anyone reading this to give it a go themselves, it actually maks B-Spec just about tolerable, even if you have to do a lot of it before this stage. I hope for you though that the car pitting bug doesn't appear, as it did rather end this race as a contest at the 10 hour mark. Last standings updated before the end, the only battle left for position is between the BMW V12 and the C60 Hybride, both very close on the track.

Standings:
1. Peugeot (349 laps)
2. Audi (341 laps)
3. Mercedes (338 laps)
4. BMW V12 (336 laps)
5. C60 Hybride (336 laps)
6. Nissan (336 laps)

24 hours in and VICTORY!

As B. Powers has just started the 363rd lap which will not be done by the end of the 24 hours, I should start writing. This has been utterly remarkable. I honestly didn't think that watching my PS3 play itself for 24 straight hours would be enjoyable, but it has. It's made me more anxious to get cracking on this race myself, but I think it'll be a few months before I'm able to do it, so I'll probably have a B-Spec 24 hours of Nurburgring report up sooner than an A-Spec Le Mans one.

I thank anyone that's read all of this, and hope it was both entertaining and informative, which is what I set out to do.

Final standings:

1. Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10 (363 laps)
2. Audi R10 TDI Race Car '06 (354 laps)
3. AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR Race Car '98 (351 laps)
4. Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo C60 Hybride – Judd Race car ‘05 (349 laps)
5. BMW V12 LMR Race Car '99 (348 laps)
6. Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98 (348 laps)
7. Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03 (347 laps)
8. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99 (346 laps)
9. BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car '97 (345 laps)
10. Pescarolo Sport Courage C60 – Peugeot Race Car ‘03 (344 laps)
11. Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 ‘00 (333 laps)
12. Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51 '00 (330 laps)

Last edited:
Very interested to see what happens as I was planning on using the 908 for B-Spec. At least with B-Spec if you have brought the wrong car you can carry on as it's not too demanding like A-Spec.

I reckon there's a lot more to come out of the car than the 3:34.991 my Bobs have managed, I say go for it.

I reckon there's a lot more to come out of the car than the 3:34.991 my Bobs have managed, I say go for it.

I;ve driven validated 3:18s in that car in Time trial mode. IN the GT-One car with the turbo upgrade I've hit down into the 3:12 range. Without the turbos it would likely be 3:20 ish.

I've done the Le Mans race 5 times now with the X2010. Eventually when I hit 35 in A spec I may do one myself non stop SOLO in a real Le Mans car. It would probably be the Audi R10 or the Toyota GT-One since their easiest to drive. I dont know if I'm capable of that but it would be a huge test. :crazy:

You have to do it non stop though, pausing the game is cheating.

I plan on doing the A-Spec Le Mans in the 787B :D

I havent yet blown 5.2 million on one (I dont dupe or get cars from others). The GT-One was for free from the Le Mans race, the 908 I bought. So I dont know how the 787 drives. If it goes as quick as the others than I'll use it for sure. But I;ll do the race nonstop with no pauses.... :ouch: Its not a real 24 hour race if your not done after 24 hours.... I may have to be "doped" for the race in order to stay awake for that long. I dont know if anybody's done a non stop 24 hour race yet in GT5 with a real car thats not F1 or X2010.

Right I am going to bed now, but before I go... it is very, very dark currently. There is no light on the straight aside from the headlights.

As B. Powers has just started the 363rd lap which will not be done by the end of the 24 hours, I should start writing. This has been utterly remarkable. I honestly didn't think that watching my PS3 play itself for 24 straight hours would be enjoyable, but it has. It's made me more anxious to get cracking on this race myself, but I think it'll be a few months before I'm able to do it, so I'll probably have a B-Spec 24 hours of Nurburgring report up sooner than an A-Spec Le Mans one.

I thank anyone that's read all of this, and hope it was both entertaining and informative, which is what I set out to do.

Final standings:

1. Peugeot 363
2. Audi 354
3. Mercedes 351
4. C60 Hybride 349
5. V12 348
6. Nissan 348
7. Bentley 347
8. Toyota 346
9. McLaren F1 345
10. Courage C60 344
11. Dodge Viper #91 333
12. Dodge Viper #51 330

It's a shame that the pitting of the other cars has happened, it's ruined this race. I still don't know why it's happened, but at least it'll prove that you don't need to just give Bob an X1 and watch him destroy everything.

Final standings:

1. Peugeot 908 HDi FAP - Team Peugeot Total '10 (363 laps)

I have my level 37-40 drivers doing the 24 hours of Le Mans for the 7th or 8th time right now in the X2010. I went to sleep around 8 hours into the race, woke up briefly at the 10 hour mark to them pitting every single lap. In a normal car I'd have been screwed.

It was raining hard from the beginning of the race. (Its rained for me every 24 hour race except one of them). One guy would start a lap and want rain tires, pit for them only for the next guy to want racing hards, and so he'd pit for the hards. This cycle repeated itself maybe 10 times before I was able to stop it when the rain stopped and one driver was satisfied with race softs.

Is that what is happening, the drivers are swapping tires...
Otherwise it didn't make any sense to me, the fuel was good, the tire wear was good.. but yet the AI cars were all(?) pitting every lap in the rain... interesting that they don't this later on when it's raining....

As for playing 24 hours straight, I strongly suggest that one does not do this. ie, the guy who died playing Starcraft comes to mind...

After about 12 hours of GT5 my body is done... I honestly think I'd need an ambulance if I went for 24 hours.

I never actually noticed if they were changing the tyre type, I never thought to look. There wasn't any real reason for them to do that though, so I'm stumped.

that was a great report :) how close are you to any other enduros because it would be great if you did another :)

i intend to do le mans with 2 other friends in a pug 908, level 31.5 at the mo, but only done 1 enduro so far...

nice post m8, i just doing my last 1/2 hour on la sarthe 24hr race. using red bull x2010 and lapping at around 2.32.627 - 3.25.348 a lap if doing pitstop red bull is fast and in front by 125-147 laps on other cars in the race. the other cars are doing around 3.50 a lap so red bull is fast car for this race. ("\(`_`)/")

I drove the 9hrs of Tsukuba non-stop from 11pm-8am... just for the challenge :) I am currently racing the 24hrs of Le Mans in a tuned down X2010 but because I am a student I have to race 1 hr shifts each night :(

Back