b-speccing endurance races & number of pitstops

  • Thread starter Thread starter steven
  • 5 comments
  • 595 views
Messages
3,971
Netherlands
driehuis (nl)
Messages
GTP_Steven
i use endurance races for cashcowing and to test what cars and what setups are best suited to complete endurance races.
now i wonder what cars and what setups everybody is using to win the endurances and how many pitstops are required.
an example. in the el capitan endurance, with the toyota altezza i manage up to 28 laps on 1 set of (sh) tyres so that'll take 2 stops for the 66 lap race.
now i found the suzuki gsx which, with some effort, can make 33 laps on one set of tyres so that'll take only 1 pitstop. cool!
just curious what you guys use in terms of races, cars and setups.
 
Pitstops doesn't really matter, just be faster and that's enough to win.


In the 24h races, I pit on every 6th lap, the others go round longer but they are waaaay slower so there is no chance at all that they'll win from me with pit strategy :D



Pink,
 
hi bram,

thanks. it's just that i am looking for cars and setups that are tuned optimally for the lowest number of pitstops. that means that the tune is ideal for the car and the track and thus optimal.
 
Bigracer
hi bram,

thanks. it's just that i am looking for cars and setups that are tuned optimally for the lowest number of pitstops. that means that the tune is ideal for the car and the track and thus optimal.

Just because a car is set-up to stop the least does not mean it has the optimum set-up. You might comprise the car soo much to run it on hard tyres that a softer compound, and pitting more often, is an overall faster strategy. If you are B-speccing, perhaps it would be quicker to pit less often, but only in terms of reducing the number of times you have to check on the race.

I would also disagree with 'Pit-stops don't matter'. My recent escapades at NY endurance proved that they do. I managed to just about match the pit-schedule of the competition - if I had to have stopped once more, I would have lost the race, since it would not have been possible to go any quicker. The FGT series - I won a few races by pitting less often, but being slower on track; equally, I won quite a few races by being faster and pitting more often. You have to find the optimum balance between pace and pit-stops.
 
Pit stops definitely matter. When you start a 100 lap race, and see your AI driver making his first pit stop on lap 33 (do the math), you better have a pretty good lead (I didn't).

Next time around, I forced a pit stop on lap 89, switched to softer tires, and skipped the gas.

Note that the director will always get gas whether it's needed or not. That can cost critical seconds. The idea is to watch and nurse the car thru one or two pit stops. Probably a good idea to drive it yourself until the first pit stop, to get ahead of the traffic. With me, AI drivers stay on the track better, but take way, way longer to get out in front of the pack.
 
Back