Back after a bit of a break...

United States
michigan
Short story long...;)

I got pretty hardcore into GT sport the day it came out.

About 8-9months ago I took a break to deal with some personal stuff.

Not to play the “look at me”, but I was consistently in the top 50 and over a handful of top 10 quail times for daily.... needless to say I was racing almost everyday for 5-8hrs.

Finally got on the last week and the best position I’ve reached is up in the 500’s and currently ranked 1200+ at dragons trail... I get that Not playing that long has its down falls.... but to be a top 50 player regularly to barely crack a 200 spot....

Am I missing something about the game that changed? I feel like I’m putting down the same speed and lap times as before.

However, I went from a A+ driver rating to a B at best... maybe I just suck or people are just getting better?

Use to be half a second at most off the top 10 and now I average 2-3 seconds.

Doesn’t add up? Or I’m just making sorry excuses for my driving bahaha

Rant over.

Short story long...;)

I got pretty hardcore into GT sport the day it came out.

About 8-9months ago I took a break to deal with some personal stuff.

Not to play the “look at me”, but I was consistently in the top 50 and over a handful of top 10 quail times for daily.... needless to say I was racing almost everyday for 5-8hrs.

Finally got on the last week and the best position I’ve reached is up in the 500’s and currently ranked 1200+ at dragons trail... I get that Not playing that long has its down falls.... but to be a top 50 player regularly to barely crack a 200 spot....

Am I missing something about the game that changed? I feel like I’m putting down the same speed and lap times as before.

However, I went from a A+ driver rating to a B at best... maybe I just suck or people are just getting better?

Rant over.

You're getting old

I feel your pain. I got 34th in the world in the last Forza Motorsport 7 monthly rivals. In GTS I struggle to get into the EMEA top 1000. I feel like there's some secret to going fast in GTS that I'm not in on!

You used to spend 5 to 8 hours a day driving. That's a lot of hard work and quite an investment of time to approach the top of the heap. With how much time you spent into being good wouldn't you be more surprised if you could just match your previous times without having to do anything to retain that skill?

Last edited:
You used to spend 5 to 8 hours a day driving. That's a lot of hard work and quite an investment of time to approach the top heap. With how much time you spent into being good wouldn't you be more surprised if you could just match your previous times without having to do anything to retain that skill?

Absolutely! with all those hours per day over time I put into it, The fundamentals are there...Sure first couple laps back I don’t expect to set any records...

However, for the most part it is like riding a bike. Sure, I won’t be out there pulling wheelies and pulling sweet tricks right away, but it shouldn’t take long to get back to that form is what I’m getting at.

Once you have it all figured out, proper braking, turn-in, transition with throttle control and exit speed down.... you don’t forget what that should be or how to do it.

Will say I did cut my time to the top dragon trail spot from 2.5 seconds to within .800 of a sec. so I’m building steam slowly.

One thing I’ve noticed is being to dead set on my fundamentals and not being more aggressive while maintaining a smooth operation of the car.

That shaved a lot of time

Absolutely! with all those hours per day over time I put into it, The fundamentals are there...Sure first couple laps back I don’t expect to set any records...

However, for the most part it is like riding a bike. Sure, I won’t be out there pulling wheelies and pulling sweet tricks right away, but it shouldn’t take long to get back to that form is what I’m getting at.

Once you have it all figured out, proper braking, turn-in, transition with throttle control and exit speed down.... you don’t forget what that should be or how to do it.

Will say I did cut my time to the top dragon trail spot from 2.5 seconds to within .800 of a sec. so I’m building steam slowly.

One thing I’ve noticed is being to dead set on my fundamentals and not being more aggressive while maintaining a smooth operation of the car.

That shaved a lot of time

I always love trying to drive really, really fast and watching your lap timer turn red and continue plummeting as you push even harder to gain back that lost time. Then next lap you brake early, coast thru the apex and all of sudden you are .700 blue. 💡💡

I always love trying to drive really, really fast and watching your lap timer turn red and continue plummeting as you push even harder to gain back that lost time. Then next lap you brake early, coast thru the apex and all of sudden you are .700 blue. 💡💡

This is so true! Setting daily race qualifying laps the harder I push the slower I go. Take a deep breath and just drive a clean lap and I'll set a new fastest time by several 10ths. So I push harder to improve it further and won't get close to it. And the cycle continues :lol:

I've had a similar situation to you, but instead I moved on to other simulators and didn't give GTS any attention until a month ago again. I went from being 5/10ths to one second behind the top 10 (and like you, the occasional appearance there as well) to being well under 2 seconds
That's worse than when I first started sport mode :lol::lol::lol:

It's just exactly what Pigems said though, it's just rust. Give yourself 2-3 weeks and you'll be back to your old pace again :cheers: I haven't reached mine yet, but I'm getting there. An early top 10 last Monday gave me a bit of a confidence boost as well :)

As a prof jazz trumpet solist the same applies to my music, i know i need 6 to 8 weeks long practise sessions to get fighting-fit for long and heavy concerts... so all is there... it only has to be revived to be able to perform in flow...

This is so true! Setting daily race qualifying laps the harder I push the slower I go. Take a deep breath and just drive a clean lap and I'll set a new fastest time by several 10ths. So I push harder to improve it further and won't get close to it. And the cycle continues :lol:

Every single time, LOL. Personnally, Seem to set my best base time within the first 3 practice laps for a couple hours..... take a break for a bit and come back to it and shave some time off it within those first couple laps.....

I too fall victim when I set a really Good time You assess that fast lap and start running all the spots in your head " I could easily go faster here,here, here, and there" but in a negative way by trying to over drive the track and end up .500-1 second slower lol.

Once I tell myself to stick to the fundamentals and let the car turn in and do it how it wants which those laps the car just flows but mentally feels slow. BAM! I'll end up knocking off 1/10ths all day.

I get frustrated as well feeling like I'm really pushing the car for all it has and my ghost that seems like its sipping tea and making phone calls is still pulling on me.

I've had a similar situation to you, but instead I moved on to other simulators and didn't give GTS any attention until a month ago again. I went from being 5/10ths to one second behind the top 10 (and like you, the occasional appearance there as well) to being well under 2 seconds
That's worse than when I first started sport mode :lol::lol::lol:

It's just exactly what Pigems said though, it's just rust. Give yourself 2-3 weeks and you'll be back to your old pace again :cheers: I haven't reached mine yet, but I'm getting there. An early top 10 last Monday gave me a bit of a confidence boost as well :)

Lol, it’s mentally frustrating that’s a fact. Knowing how you drove before and then not be able to drive at that level getting back to it.... glad to see you get back as well to GTS! Don’t know where you located but if it’s the America server I’m sure we’ve traded paint back in the day lol.

Last edited:
Doubt it adds much to it, but I do tend to use the same cars for every track.... never really use what the top 10 guys or masses use per track.

Seen the 911 on dragon trail did fairly well on qualifying but after numerous laps I was still putting down .400+ slower times that I could achieve in my viper.

Now that opens a whole other discussion if they have nerfed the viper over time as that’s my go to car prior to my return for both gr.3 & 4 classes yet I rarely see it being used anymore.

Last edited:
Every single time, LOL. Personnally, Seem to set my best base time within the first 3 practice laps for a couple hours..... take a break for a bit and come back to it and shave some time off it within those first couple laps.....

I too fall victim when I set a really Good time You assess that fast lap and start running all the spots in your head " I could easily go faster here,here, here, and there" but in a negative way by trying to over drive the track and end up .500-1 second slower lol.

Once I tell myself to stick to the fundamentals and let the car turn in and do it how it wants which those laps the car just flows but mentally feels slow. BAM! I'll end up knocking off 1/10ths all day.

I get frustrated as well feeling like I'm really pushing the car for all it has and my ghost that seems like its sipping tea and making phone calls is still pulling on me.

I dont normally make the America region top 10 unless its early in the week but if I spend some decent time with a combo I can get in the top 100. What seems to work for me at a new combo is to run maybe 10-15 laps then come back to it the next day. Almost right away I will pick up quite a bit of time, moreso than if I had stayed with it the first day and kept pounding laps. I wonder if it's some kind of brain thing where your brain needs rest so things can be properly organized on your "hard drive", kind of like how they tell you if you have to study for a test not to do it immediately before the test but at least a day before the test so you can get some sleep beforehand.

Back