Back to GT4 after playing NFS:MW...

  • Thread starter Thread starter VQuick
  • 26 comments
  • 1,735 views
Messages
763
I bought Need For Speed: Most Wanted, and played through it twice. The pursuits were what really drew me to the game, since I have yet to play any of the Underground games. I found that the racing wasn't too bad, though. I do miss being able to change my car's color as well as that of its wheels on a whim and a few hundred bucks.

Back in GT4, I was glad to be driving with something resembling physics. I almost forgot that it was faster to taking a race line rather than just hugging the inside of the turn. :dopey: Of course, the amount of cars and detailed tuning adjustments were missed as well.

It's good to be back.

Still, I can't help thinking that PD could make a killer street racing game if they wanted to. :sly:

1. Cut down on the amount of cars, and that frees up a lot of room to have a 'free roam' environment. Plenty of wide open spaces to just enjoy your cars.
2. As for the environment itself, maybe several types of towns could make up the gaming 'world,' and each town could be based on certain geographical regions or countries.
3. Some customization could be done, but it'd have to be tasteful. Of course this is PD we're talking about, so that shouldn't be a problem.
4. Several types of racing. Country and mountain roads with sudden death and point to point races? Point to point through the city? Freeway runs? Maybe even have a couple real race circuits(this is PD, after all) for practice.
5. GT style tuning and physics. Imagine the challenge of having to tune your car for rough road surfaces instead of ribbon smooth circuits.
6. A possible story mode? I've been writing a racing story that could probably be adapted to a video game without much trouble. I already think of it as a GT-style story, since I'm fairly technical and informative with it and try not to be too biased when it comes to cars.
7. Imho, the game wouldn't really need police. It might seem a little more tasteful to leave out pursuits. This game can be more about driving pleasure than being a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood. :dopey:
 
Ehh..., if I had that kind of game,I realy wouldnt want gt4 physics becuase there would be no air time:sly:.
 
I played NFS:MW on a wheel, and it's an amazingly fun game, but the physics are all wrong. I had to adapt to the new driving style, and then when i picked GT4 up again I had to learn proper driving again.
 
Yeah, I'm going through the same relearning process.


I don't see why you couldn't get air in a street racing game with GT physics. You just wouldn't have the same stratospherical levels of air as other games.
 
If it would be like you described.....I certainly wouldn't buy it cause it would be crap.
 
Personally I would like to see this kind of game out on the market because I don't think anyone has done this before.

However it would be less-profitable because "realistic physics" and "street racing attitude" don't mix too well IMO.
 
Yeah I really doubt a lot of people would buy that kind of game. I bet a lot of people who are die hard NFS player will hate the GT control.
 
Street Racing Syndicate was supposed to be realistic, they supposedly did some tests (from IGN)

Juiced, anyone? Acclaim wanted to make it realistic, the Acclaim demo certainly can't be compared to Gran Turismo, and when THQ grabbed it... No comments...
 
GT5 should quench your NFS thirst, as it will have better physics and be online, so you can have your very own GT sanctioned drag races. No one drives like you can in NFS:MW, it's a physical impossibility, so I really don't think GT5 will meet your need for that silliness, but for actual racing GT5 will have you covered.
 
SavageEvil
GT5 should quench your NFS thirst, as it will have better physics and be online, so you can have your very own GT sanctioned drag races.
My thirst is for Gran Turismo, not NFS. That's why I'm back to playing GT again, even though I've had it for nearly a year vs just two months for NFS. ;)

=SavageEvil
No one drives like you can in NFS:MW, it's a physical impossibility, so I really don't think GT5 will meet your need for that silliness, but for actual racing GT5 will have you covered.[/QUOTE]
I don't want to drive in GT5 like I can in NFS. It's stupid. I couldn't stand trying to actually drive a racing line and actually getting worse results. Don't even get me started on trail braking and blipping the throttle. I want to drive in NFS like I could in GT5.

I want a racing game with more detailed tuning, and I would like to see some benefit to braking for a cloverleaf-type turn when doing 190mph on the freeway, since tires realistically will not let you go that fast.
 
wing_0
Street Racing Syndicate was supposed to be realistic, they supposedly did some tests (from IGN)

Juiced, anyone? Acclaim wanted to make it realistic, the Acclaim demo certainly can't be compared to Gran Turismo, and when THQ grabbed it... No comments...
DO NOT COMPARE JUICED TO GT! Juiced=some what fun online (only with friends, and pink slips) and its a arcade street racer, GT= Amazing real life simulator. NFS:MW better then the ****ty under ground games. But the old style NFS like 1, 2, and 3 the games i played when i was 7 years of age. Were kik ass games, but now GT, and Forza is really my style. And if there was such a game, bleh i wouldn't even DL the demo, crap, besides the street racing area, is way to crowded, just like the WWII area, and FPS, and MMO. If there were to be another street racer, i would shoot my self, and most of the street raceing games don't have cops, have we forgot about what street racing was all about.

Any ways, my main point is to say that most people are saying that your idea is crap because your comeing up with and idea in a already crowded area, with your ideas already been worked on.
 
Sounds like going from NFS:MW to GT4 is like going from Enthusia to GT4 *not ment to start a flame war*
 
All I want is to be able to customise the exterior of my car in the same way as underground, with it's unlimited colours, decals, body kits and large rims. It should all effect the handling, though.
 
RXGem
All I want is to be able to customise the exterior of my car in the same way as underground, with it's unlimited colours, decals, body kits and large rims. It should all effect the handling, though.

That can be fun somtimes,but if gt4 had that,many people would just want to buy cars to see what the body kit and the spoilers look on the cars.
Hell,I would totaly forget about races,then the game would get boring quicker.And I think gt4 is supposed to be a racing game not a tuning game.
 
I would personally love a street racer with realistic physics...too bad that, like others have said, it's a terrible idea, sales-wise. :indiff:

FireEmblem62
Sounds like going from NFS:MW to GT4 is like going from Enthusia to GT4 *not ment to start a flame war*

If you're talking about the fun-to-play factor, most definitely. If you're talking about physics realism, I'm afraid you've got it mixed up...I would equate going from Enthusia to GT4 with eating a sandwich, then looking at a digital photo of a sandwich. The photo sure looks pretty (prettier than the real sandwich, even), and the sandwich in the photo has all of the same ingredients, but it's still a fake sandwich, and doesn't taste nearly as good as the real one. :)
 
I'd love a street racer with realistic physics too, but like others have said, nobody would buy it :(
 
I for one have played:
GT 1, 2, 3 and 4-Addicted to them
NFS 1, 2, 3-Loads of fun playing them
NFS:Underground-Fun to play
Euthusia-Terrible, this game was hard to play you couldn't correct your car when at speed (reason the game went from $39.99 to $19.99 in 6 months)
A Realistic game without a good physics engine will not sell, period.
There are a ton of games out that didn't sell because it could not be played well or was not fun to play.
Take the Burnout series a aracde racer, but fun to play.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.

Baron
 
I can't believe you went that low, Vquick to the point where you played a Need For Speed when you could have played GT4. It's a rubbish game NFS. I played 8 of them. All except Porsche were hopeless. I saw someone playing most wanted and...Star wars is more realistic than its handling and physics.NFS is for people who aren't into cars, who just want to have a little fun. GT4 is for people like the ones on GTP who know how to tune their suspension and rear spoiler(that actually provides downforce, not just another flashy object to put on your car) to get the best cornering speed.
 
Wolfe2x7
I would personally love a street racer with realistic physics...too bad that, like others have said, it's a terrible idea, sales-wise. :indiff:



If you're talking about the fun-to-play factor, most definitely. If you're talking about physics realism, I'm afraid you've got it mixed up...I would equate going from Enthusia to GT4 with eating a sandwich, then looking at a digital photo of a sandwich. The photo sure looks pretty (prettier than the real sandwich, even), and the sandwich in the photo has all of the same ingredients, but it's still a fake sandwich, and doesn't taste nearly as good as the real one. :)

No, no ,no, what I ment was that he ment that going from NFS to GT4 is like when youve been plkaying Enthusia for awhile, and then play GT4, the GT4 cars are twitchy as.
 
I've played far too many hours of the GT series, but have also played and enjoyed NFSMW. They are 2 very differnent types of beast, NFSMW is very much a pick up and put down kind of game, fun in doses of your choice, where as GT4 is for fun but where more thought is involved, you can lose hours just tweaking your car, and making it perfect, to how you drive. I totally agree with what has been said before about how you drive, with NFSMW racing lines, what are they? Theres no need for them and again the lower amount of thought is required. However with GT4 when you complete a challenge that has taken time and effort, for me the License test with the rally cars at opera took a lot of attempts, but when I finally did it there was a huge sense of satisfaction, that NFSMW can never reach.
 
I like the free roam and the drag racing in the need for speed games!
 
Just completed NFS:MW with plans of going back to GT4. Its funny, but half way through MW, I started coming up with different cars I wanted to drift around certain corners, but I figured I should complete the game before getting lost in GT4 again.

The lack of storey board in GT4 is what makes it a game you can play over and over again, because you never know what your going to do next. MW and both underground series are too story line based, where you always know whats going to happen next.

Both have great qualities, but I have to say the GT series keeps me coming back for more, where as the NFS series gives me a challenge, then a paper weight.
 
gabibyte
I can't believe you went that low, Vquick to the point where you played a Need For Speed when you could have played GT4. It's a rubbish game NFS. I played 8 of them. All except Porsche were hopeless. I saw someone playing most wanted and...Star wars is more realistic than its handling and physics.NFS is for people who aren't into cars, who just want to have a little fun. GT4 is for people like the ones on GTP who know how to tune their suspension and rear spoiler(that actually provides downforce, not just another flashy object to put on your car) to get the best cornering speed.

I can't believe you went that low, to assume that just because someone chooses to play a simple, arcadey racing game like Need for Speed, they aren't into cars.

I enjoy playing games like Live for Speed or Enthusia, and games like Ridge Racer or Midnight Club.
 
NFS most wanted is a fun game but the rubberband AI nearly made my monitor take an interest at flying...

Seriously, can anyone from this board say that rubberband AI is such a good thing, that EA shouldn't even include an option to disable it?
 
gabibyte
I can't believe you went that low, Vquick to the point where you played a Need For Speed when you could have played GT4...
So did I sink low when I played Tekken 5 for a few weeks instead of GT4? What about when I played Enthusia for all of 15 minutes(seriously, I haven't touched it again) instead of GT4?

People play more than one game, and more than just one type of game. Get over it.

NFS is for people who aren't into cars, who just want to have a little fun.
There are people who play GT for the same reason. Do you think my 11 year old friend plays GT to enjoy all the cars, and the variety of tracks? No. In fact, he hates the Nordschleife(calls it 'the stupid, long track'), drives Trail Mountain pretty much exclusively, and referred to the Lancia Delta S4 rally car as a 'heap of junk'. I still haven't forgiven him for that last one.

Like I said in the very first post, I basically bought NFS:MW for the pursuits. I really didn't like the racing, thus the reason I have yet to even play the Underground games.

GT4 is for people like the ones on GTP who know how to tune their suspension and rear spoiler(that actually provides downforce, not just another flashy object to put on your car) to get the best cornering speed.
The example of my friend above proves you wrong. In fact, he buys the adjustable parts, slams the car to the ground and expects to just go faster and handle better...a little like NFS:MW, except that he doesn't even have that game.lol Oh, and just for the record, you can adjust downforce in NFS:MW, after buying a wing...just like GT! 💡 You can even tune ride height, brake bias, powerband, and understeer/oversteer. This can be done during races as well, which I found to be a little ghetto(almost like cheating, imho), but nonetheless it can be done.

I'm not telling you to go out and buy the game. In fact, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The story was pretty lame, and like Doggie said the AI cars can be real idiots sometimes, running into dead ends at 150mph+, passing then brake checking you, or t-boning you into the wall as you try to make a sharp turn.

My whole point is, be a little more open minded. With the amounts of variety in Gran Turismo, I'm very surprised that you aren't.
 
"The lack of storey board in GT4 is what makes it a game you can play over and over again, because you never know what your going to do next"

the need for speed series was at a stage very exhillerating, but with the latest one, i just feel they need to do something new, something fresh, and definetily lose the stupid catchup ai junk, it's annoying!

after finnishing it twice, you lose interest in nfsmw, whereas in gt4, like the guy i quoted said, you dont know what's next!!

GT4 yes
nfsmw= ai as bad as underground1 gives it a biiiig Nooooo!:scared:
 
Back