Back to PC2

• Thread starter vicbol
  • 18 comments
Spain
Barcelona
ORT-vicbol
Hello all,

I bought PC2 when it was released but inmediatly GTSport came up I have been playing it since then.

Last night I decided to come back to PC2.

I have two questions now.

1. Sensation of speed is very bad compared to GTS, the feeling is that the car is very slow. There is any setup where I can increase the speed sensation?

2. My game is still factory default with no updates. When I started the game yesterday the last update (1.7 I think) came up but didnt installed yet.
Has been any improvement in simulation/driving realism since the game was released?

Thank you!!

Hello all,

I bought PC2 when it was released but inmediatly GTSport came up I have been playing it since then.

Last night I decided to come back to PC2.

I have two questions now.

1. Sensation of speed is very bad compared to GTS, the feeling is that the car is very slow. There is any setup where I can increase the speed sensation?
Use a FOV calculator to set the correctly, once that's done the sense of speed will be exactly as it should be in reality.
http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

2. My game is still factory default with no updates. When I started the game yesterday the last update (1.7 I think) came up but didnt installed yet.
Has been any improvement in simulation/driving realism since the game was released?

Thank you!!
Yes, a lot.

The nice thing about an adjustable FOV is you can set it to whatever you need to get the effect you're after. Sitting about three feet from a 27" display, I run a FOV of 85, if I recall correctly. I get the idea of a correctly proportioned FOV, but unless I had a very large display there's no way I can judge braking distances properly with so much of the periphery cropped off of the screen.

Every racing game should provide an adjustable FOV. 👍

on a 27' screen such as mine I would recommend a 55º fov in cockpit, although obviously all sensation of speed will be gone but in exchange you will earn tremendous cornering ability combined with throttle inputs. Remember that turning the wheel as little as possible and combine it with good throttling skills is capital in cars with slicks, and cockpit view with realistic reduced fov will help you immensely to achieve this.

The only way to feel proper speed while in cockpit mode with reduced realistic fov is either having a triple monitor setup or virtual reality. Otherwise, and if sensation of speed is capital to you then I'd also recommend the bumper view with a sightly increased fov. Here you will be able to bit corner apex with total precision too, althouh remember that the increased feeling of speed at all margins either low and high speed will many times play its trick on you.

I disagree on that. When I drove in GT, it just felt like the car was stuck to the road and didn't have the ability to step out or anything like that making the car feel slow. In PC, it's the opposite. The car is able to step out when you're on a qualifying lap giving me a sense of speed and the sudden realisation I'm way too quick for a corner. I don't get that in GT.

I think the OP was talking about visual perception of speed. Narrowing the FoV is the main way of increasing that. At least to correct proportions if you don't want to exaggerate it! But knowing what view the OP used might help...

You can also up the vibration and world movement effects, effects for shoving the driver back in the seat or being thrown forward under braking, and head movement in turns. All of which can give you a greater sense of being in a powerful beast rather than a tame pussycat!

For the record, a wider FOV increases your perception of speed, not narrower, because you can see more around the periphery of the screen where things appear to pass by more quickly. A narrower FOV suppresses that effect by hiding those things passing by.

I understand why some people want a greater sensation of speed but I'll repeat something I've stated a lot of times, namely, driving on a race track can feel glacially slow in real life and a realistic in-game FOV recreates that very well.

Unlike normal, real world driving, race tracks have a lot of space not just on the track itself but to the left and right, so you don't have objects flashing past you in your peripheral vision. Take Silverstone, for example, where Hangar Straight is something like 12m wide, equivalent to more than 3 lanes of a UK motorway, but with another 5 or 6 metres of grass each side before the barriers - so, try and imagine driving down the middle of a 6-lane motorway, with nothing to your left or right. I've driven there in my own car at over 130mph and I nearly fell asleep because it felt so slow and boring - slight exaggeration I know, but it did feel painfully slow. I also remember showing in-car footage of one of my track days at Brands Hatch to my shop staff and they were all watching it muttering "meh, did you forget to use the throttle!", until I pointed them to look at my speedo ;). That 'slow speed' was actually speed that would usually see you have your driving license removed in the UK.

By all means try and ramp up the sense of speed for fun, but be in no doubt that it is unrealistic.

EDIT : Of course, this is only really true of what I would call "traditional circuits", coming from a European viewpoint. Street circuits and ovals are a different matter, where a realistic FOV will still provide a great sense of speed, given the proximity of walls, buildings etc :)

EDIT : off-topic slightly but another thing that is striking is how much a full motion rig helps, in terms of authenticity. Of course, those are out of reach for the vast majority of us (for reasons of money and/or space) but the difference between driving in a rigid, motionless, rig to a full motion rig is night and day. Watch footage of somebody in a motion rig, with a VR headset, at Long Beach and you'd be hard pressed to distinguish it from real visor-cam footage.

Last edited:
@Cluck -- I'm aware of how the geometry of all this plays out; trust me, I have not exaggerated the sense of speed with my FOV setting. What you consider realistic is geometrically accurate. What I consider realistic is what comes closer to recreating your full field of vision behind the steering wheel, being able to see what you need to see to mentally perceive how quickly you are moving -- you know...in real life.

What I don't consider realistic is the equivalent of driving with a shroud over my head and only a 27" rectangle three feet in front of my face to allow me to see the road.

I actually avoid wide-open tracks by preference -- like Silverstone, which happens to be a track I despise :lol: -- and most of my time in PCARS2 has been spent on its narrowest tracks. I know how fast things should look, except I base that upon a more realistic field of vision, not the restricted "window" of the screen.

I also don't have a large HDTV, primarily because almost all HDTVs are garbage for gaming because of input latency, and because there is no reason to sit very far from a screen that is only used for gaming. Being a computer monitor on a desk, it's decently sized. In combination with the fact that I play with a controller instead of a wheel, there is zero illusion that the screen is a "real" window (as if it wasn't obvious that it's a glowing rectangle in my living room). It's a videogame -- with the same suspension of disbelief as any other, at a reduced scale.

^^^ my comment was a general one by the way and wasn't in response to anything you, or anybody else had posted in reply to the OP. I read the OP and the request for a better sense of speed and thought I'd post some thoughts regarding the exaggerated sense of speed that some people look for. I have no problem with how people set their systems up - the more that can be done to allow somebody to enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it, the better - I just know that for some, something GT, Forza et al are their only experience of racing games and that could lead to a false sense of what they would experience in real life.

For what it's worth, before I got my Rift I used to use the default FOV that the game ships with, on my single 24" monitor. Sure, it was unrealistic but I had a better understanding of the cars and circuit around me, which was far more important than trying to recreate reality a bit better :)

Also, +1 for the dislike of Silverstone :D. I sort of wish I hadn't done a trackday there as that was my turning point from "loving it" to "despising it" :embarrassed:.

And yeah, I'm also under no illusions that it's just a game (I've waxed lyrical about that many a time).

striking is how much a full motion rig helps, in terms of authenticity.
Does my tilt and swivel office chair count? I suppose it's not quite full motion since I've taken the castors off. :P

I'd agree with both choices. I like a wider field of view just to get the feel of being in a car (and yes a sense of speed), but also like to see the apex on slower corners. So I use the dynamic FOV to achieve a zoom in zoom out effect (it's not too extreme). Pcars is great for this, so many options.

Oh yeah I dislike Silverstone too. Flat and wide.

^^^ my comment was a general one by the way and wasn't in response to anything you, or anybody else had posted in reply to the OP. I read the OP and the request for a better sense of speed and thought I'd post some thoughts regarding the exaggerated sense of speed that some people look for. I have no problem with how people set their systems up - the more that can be done to allow somebody to enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it, the better - I just know that for some, something GT, Forza et al are their only experience of racing games and that could lead to a false sense of what they would experience in real life.
See, I don't think the standard FOV (GT, Forza) is unrealistic, at least not for a screen the size of mine. Within that reasonable range, the periphery of the screen helps convey how quickly you're moving, but the overall image is not so distorted to mislead you into thinking you're going faster than you are.

Whatever FOV you use, you still pass by things at the same rate for a given velocity, and it's not all about the outer edges of the track or how wide it is -- you have the textures of the track surface, rumble strip patterns, trackside tire barriers, etc. Needless to say, the whole image is moving. I don't prefer a wider-than-geometrically-accurate FOV because I'm actually watching the periphery of the screen. The periphery of the screen is there to simulate my real periphery of vision in a real car.

You could say that purpose is subconscious -- and using a "correct" FOV with too small of a screen crops out that subconscious feedback, leaving only the passing of nearby objects or textures to convey your velocity. Our brains' sensation of movement is also variable and subject to the risk of acclimation. Spend too much time on an unstimulating freeway like Interstate 80 through Nebraska and even a minor reduction in speed feels like you've almost come to a stop. A narrower FOV leaves you more susceptible to that illusion, which isn't helpful for a corner like the end of the Mulsanne Straight. ;)

Project Cars 2 bumper view (not bonnet) not only is amazing but also pure adrenaline. I recommend you trying that one and see if you like it. You will have maximum sense of speed as well as being able to hit corner apex with absolute precision. Increase fov just three clicks in this view and get ready.

Right, try going really wide with FOV and catch all that action out the side windows and then tell us about sense of speed

No doubt about that, but set that wide a FoV, for starters it looks like you are driving from the back seat, and the price you pay for that peripheral vision is that corners seem a lot further away than they are. It's kind of like driving, sitting backwards, and looking in the rear view mirror!

Sadly, single monitor systems simply cannot give a realistic FoV (what you would see if in the car) and still allow decent peripheral vision. It's a trade-off.

The future is VR, without a doubt... realistic FoV and full peripheral vision (with a certain amount of head movement). Can't wait for this to become affordable on console! GTS's little tech demo of it is utterly realistic...

And yes, apologies for mixing up increasing and decreasing FoV, although personally, due to the narrowness of view but correct perspective, I get an amazing sense of speed from PC2. But I'm primarily looking at the apexes and the cars I can see, I don't really have time to look around much, so having those come at me at realistic perspective really makes me feel like I'm going like a bat out of hell!

Agree with above. If you need sense of speed AND close visual of apexes the bumper/hood camera is pretty best choice short of building a gaming PC and going VR

Whether it's correct or not I don't care, this is what my settings are which gives me a nice Fov for slow/medium corners & a great sense of speed for fast corners & long straights.

World Movement = 50%
G-Force Effect = 50%
Look To Apex = 100%
Helmet Leaning = 100%
Camera Leaning = 100%

Helmet Cam Fov = 80
Speed sensitivity = On
Min Speed Fov = 80%
Max Speed Fov = 120%
Min Sensitive Speed = 0
Max Sensitive Speed = 200

This enables me to enjoy the best of both.

0mph = Fov 64 increasing to
50mph = Fov 72 increasing to
100mph = Fov 80 increasing to
150mph = Fov 88 increasing to
200mph = Fov 96 Max limit

Last edited:
Back