Bad FPS Drops with new GPU

United Kingdom
England
T1M670
T1M670
Hi,

So yesterday I upgraded my GPU from a GTX970 to an RTX2070, quite a fair upgrade. However, now when I'm playing Warzone (don't judge me) I get severe FPS drops, down to around 1-3fps, and this happens very regularly making it unplayable (normally happens online when there's a lot of stuff going on). When I had my GTX970, the game only ran around 30-40fps but it never had these severe drops, so it was easily playable at 1440p.

I've tested numerous different graphics settings with the RTX2070, even at 1080p medium settings, which it should handle no problem. Still gets terrible drops, and I am using MSI Afterburner to monitor the GPU usage and it's not close to 100%. I thought it could perhaps be RAM, but surely the problem would have shown up with the GTX970 if this was the case.

Specs are:

Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.5GHz
Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2070 Super 8gb VRAM
Asrock Extreme6 Z87 Motherboard
8gb Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM
Corsair CX600 PSU
Samsung 34" Ultrawide 1440p Monitor

I have checked the drivers are correct/up to date with the GPU and Motherboard and they both are. I thought it could be RAM as 8gb isn't a lot, but again, surely I would have noticed these FPS drops on my old GPU? I've tested other games such as GTAV, it does have FPS drops also (although not quite as bad as Warzone does).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If your GPU is not 100% utilized it means it's waiting on something else. Could be CPU, could be network (Warzone is online after all) or disk. Check memory and VRAM usage as well, just to be sure. Might even be faulty card.

If your GPU is not 100% utilized it means it's waiting on something else. Could be CPU, could be network (Warzone is online after all) or disk. Check memory and VRAM usage as well, just to be sure. Might even be faulty card.
Thanks for the reply. CPU I think is fine, it's usage is lower than the card, so the card will bottle neck before the CPU. Network is pretty bad haha but I think the PC is struggling too, the RGB lighting freezes at the same time as these drops occur. I'll have to check disc though.

Do you think it could be the PSU? At 600W it's probably got a fair bit of strain on it, with the GPU, CPU, Water cooler, fans, RGB, controllers etc... unfortunately I don't have access to another, more powerful one at the moment so I'd have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Given that your lighting is also freezing it might be PSU-related indeed. Power consumption is bigger on the 2070 compared to the 970. I'd also check BIOS updates for the motherboard if you haven't already done so. Do you still have the 970? So you can check whether the problems are gone without the 2070? (Or use the onboard graphics).

Made sure BIOS is up to date, and tried the 970. 970 is the same as it always was, no major drops, but 2070 is still the same, even closed all unnecessary programs to see if something in the background was causing it. Is there a way to check if it is the PSU? Without plugging another one in.

Disable/disconnect any unnecessary components, turn on v-sync, and drop the game settings. I would also google to check if other people are having issues with this game. Is there another fairly intensive game you can try to see if it has issues?

Found out what the problem was if anyone is interested, the problem stems from insufficient RAM (8gb just doesn't quite cut it), but the reason it was so bad was because, instead of using my SSD to overload RAM onto, it was set to use an older, slower HDD as RAM... changed it to the SSD and it's now much more playable. Also got more RAM on the way which should cure it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Found out what the problem was if anyone is interested, the problem stems from insufficient RAM (8gb just doesn't quite cut it), but the reason it was so bad was because, instead of using my SSD to overload RAM onto, it was set to use an older, slower HDD as RAM... changed it to the SSD and it's now much more playable. Also got more RAM on the way which should cure it. Thanks everyone for your input.

Ah good ol pagefile.
Slowing windows down since 1995
Glad I do not use it anymore.

Latest Posts

Back