Bad news: Edios Bails On Sony

• Thread starter Genocide
  • 18 comments
TimeSplitters 2 goes offline

Eidos cuts the online multiplayer feature from its first-person shooter.

Eidos has issued a statement revealing that the PlayStation 2 version of TimeSplitters 2, the only version of the game that had previously been confirmed to support online play, will no longer support that particular feature. "We had always hoped to include an Internet online component in the PlayStation 2 version of TimeSplitters 2," said an Eidos representative. "However the infrastructure is not yet in place that will enable us to incorporate an online element and still make the game's proposed release date. We certainly don't want to delay the release of one of the year's most anticipated games and as a result disappoint the many fans who are eagerly awaiting the game."
Despite TimeSplitter 2's lack of online multiplayer support the game is still slated to feature iLink and LAN multiplayer support. Players will be able to link up to six consoles via the PlayStation 2 iLink, which will support up to 16 players. PS2 owners who pick up the network adapter this month will be able to link up to eight consoles for a total of 16 players in a game.

As far as the GameCube and Xbox versions of the game are concerned, neither version of the game will feature online multiplayer modes. The GameCube version will support up to four players in split screen multiplayer. The Xbox version will support the system link accessory and allow up to eight consoles to be linked together.

All three versions of TimeSplitters 2 are currently slated to ship on September 24.

------------------------------------------------------------

So the breakdown for TimeSplitters2 is:

Sony Playstation 2: up to 16 players
Microsoft Xbox: up to 32 players
Nintendo GameCube: up to 4 players

Seems like I'm always the one bringin the bad news... :(
*Flameproof Suit On* :odd:

It is Eidos' fault that Timesplitters 2 doesn't have online play. It is up to the developers to design an online infrastructure, not Sony. Sony is just releasing the network adapter and that's it. Developers have the greatest freedom to make their own network, so they're not bogged down by other players who are playing a different game *coughdreamcastandxboxcough*. Excuse me, I think I'm coming down with a cold. :P

The only ones Eidos can blame is themselves, all they want to do is to make the biggest buck and that's why there is no online play.

i'm not worried.

I think online console fps's take way the fun.

With offline 4-player split screen, your skills are (in my opinion) much better. thats because camping is virtually non existant, cause you can see where everybody is. so you actually have to work for the kill, rather than hiding in the shadows, cause if you do that in spilt screen someone will chuck a grenade in your direction.

I'm all for system link though. the more the merrier, and no (hopefully) lag caused by bad internet connections.

/me remembers back to the good old days of goldeneye64:D

No, it's not because of PS2's lack of video ram. It's because Eidos (and all game companies) sets a time limit in which a game MUST be done. It seems that the Timesplitter's developers just simply ran out of time and couldn't put in online play.

Space got it right. The sheer intensity of split screen multiplay, especialy Goldeneye, is enough to crap in your pants. :lol: In addition with iLink, you can have full screen multiplay.

Timesplitters 2's online play was set for the PS2, but Sony won't have it's online network set up in time for the games release (and they don't want to push it back, because it would get destroyed in the deluge that precedes Christmas.)
This is Sony's fault in part for being slow. And it's Eidos' fault for not just keeping it available anyway for later use. Tony Hawk 3 was online for the PS2 a year ago, I don't know why they couldn't do it too. :(
All in all, I system link more than anything, and for online FPS I prefer my PC. :)

Edit:
I just read the Gamespot article, and the make it sound more like Eidos was slow... I wonder what the real story is...

TimeSplitters 2 Loses Online Capability

By: Sam Kennedy August 13, 2002 6:56 PM PDT

Although it was previously announced as one of the flagship titles to support online play for the PS2 this year, Eidos revealed today that TimeSplitters 2 will unfortunately no longer have that function. According to the company, the infrastructure was not yet in place in order to incorporate any online elements, and rather than delay the game, online play had to be removed. Insiders suggest, however, that broken down negotiations between Eidos and SCEA over server hosting were also to blame.

Either way, TimeSplitters 2 is no longer online for the PS2. The game will, however, still feature iLink and LAN multiplayer support, which will allow up to 16 players to go at it at once.

As for the other consoles to also be receiving TimeSplitters 2 on September 24, the GameCube will support up to four players via a split-screen multiplayer mode and the Xbox will support the system link accessory for up to eight consoles to be linked together.

Wasn't Timesplitters2 already pushed back about a month before this, or has it been completely on development schedule ever since announcement?

There was a time when Eidos was the best game in town. I think they got too big too fast..... Just like EA. (Currently my least favorite company)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell
There was a time when Eidos was the best game in town. I think they got too big too fast..... Just like EA. (Currently my least favorite company)

Yeah, back when tomb raider one came out:D

EA wont be number 1 much longer, with Sega going games only. Sega will prolly be number 1 in a year or 2, maybe shorter.

I never really cared if it was Interenet play or not, I just wanted this game for its I.link capabilities. I just hope you can have 4 player on each ps2 so if I link 3 together I get 12 player timesplitters.

Originally posted by space
I think ts2 will support 16 players via system link y2.

That's right, I'm not sure how they get the math of 6 consoles with 16 players though.... :odd:
I think I'm going to get the Xbox version though, it supports 8 consoles linked, and will probably support Gamespy tunnel for online play.

Back