Badger Behind The Wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTBadger
  • 16 comments
  • 1,067 views
Messages
5
Hi All

We Badgers normally avoid motor vehicles where possible as the usual result of an encounter with them is often an unfortunate one. Only last week I found myself crossing a remote country road to visit a flat mate. (...... tumble weed..... erm.. ok then.)

Running against this stereotype I finally found myself giving in to the urge to buy GT4 after many months of futile resistance. I knew I’d get it eventually of course having enjoyed GT3 so much, but I was waiting for the price to come down a little more than it has and figured that the recent appearance of the Xbox 360 as well as next years impending arrival of PS3 on the scene might well have prompted some kind of push to sell as much of the current software as possible before folk stop looking at it in favour of the new kid on the block.

Well so far that does not seem to be the case, but none the less I was able to find a slightly cheaper copy on the high street and decided that I’d waited long enough.

I’m quite pleased with it so far although I’ve yet to do much more than scratch its surface.

I like the new interface better even if it is rather more convoluted and there seem to be many more options than we had to play with before. I’d have to be honest and say that I didn’t really think that the graphics were that much of a leap forward despite the barrel loads of praise heaped upon them in various articles I’ve read. Perhaps they’re a little crisper? But then again I always thought that GT3’s visuals were pretty amazing and I’m doubtless missing out on nice little touches which are more evident to card carrying petrol heads than to us Sunday drivers.

Which doesn’t mean to say that I don’t think that the graphics are terrific, because I do and is it my imagination or do they move faster then they did before? Certainly the feeling of speed seems to be increased since GT3.

One thing which has definitely stayed the same, is that I was crap at GT3 and I’m still crap at GT4! If anything things are even worse as I barely managed to claw my way through the domestic “B” license tests with a bare minimum bronze award for each one. Which I’m embarrassed to admit to you included at least ten attempts at following the lead car around the “Laguna Seca Raceway” before I managed to complete a lap on the track! Let alone do it within the minimum time frame.

In my defense I should point out that I’m pretty sure that the physics engine employed here makes things harder than last time around. But since this change also brings with it a real sense of “OUCH” when you hit something, I’m certainly not going to complain.

I was also really pleased to see the computer AI making mistakes! Something that I never saw in GT3, although maybe I just missed it.

If only the developers had included proper damage modeling then my joy would be complete. But then I expect that many of the manufacturers they have fought hard to get licenses from, would be less then thrilled to see their babies running around the track looking anything less than pristine.

In any case my terrible lack of skill is handicap enough without the added restriction of not being able to use the cars ahead as impromptu crash barriers to help me around some of the tighter bends and an engine which forced me to drive without these dubious tactics would probably maroon me forever in the becalmed waters of the beginners events.

My pitiful performance in emerging from the B license test with bronzes all around, was rewarded by an equally pitiful prize in the form of a “Volkswagen Lupo 1.4” in which to take the first steps on the road to my eventual rise to fame and fortune in GT’s world. Although “Pitiful Lupo” is perhaps rather a rash statement as I’m only assuming that the prize car is better for a silver or gold result.

In any case I can’t complain as;
A: I don’t remember getting given a car at all for pasing the tests in GT3 and;
B: I didn’t have to use it in any case, as I was able to transfer enough funds across from my previous “save” to buy a rather tasty second hand 276 BHP Toyota Supra which is much nippier around the track as well as being a lot easier on the eye.

I’m not sure that this was the best car to choose first off, but I freely admit that my selection method in the absence of any real knowledge about cars, may have lacked a certain scientific validity.

Ie: 1/ Shortlist to models with 200 bhp or higher.
2/ Discard any from that list which don’t look hot.
3/ Pick the cheapest from those which are left in order to leave funds for upgrades if
needed.

Anyway I guess I’ve warbled on for long enough, so if it’s ok with you I’d like to leave you with a couple of questions which if the above scribbling has not already done so, will definitely betray my general ignorance in GT gameplay.

(With hopes that these are not questions too often repeated previously, I might have missed them in my brief scanning of the FAQ’s)

1/ I can’t seem to find the option to “qualify” and as such I start each race at the back of the rolling pack.

2/ In the various showrooms, many of the cars shown have dashes instead of prices. Does this mean that they can only be “won” rather then bought?

3/ The screenshots on the pack of the case show a vintage car (1940’s?) but where are these cars within the game? (Thought it might be fun to have an “Arcade” bash with these fellas but couldn’t see how to do it.)

4/ I notice that mileage is a factor when buying a second hand car. Will the price of my Supra go down as I put more miles on the clock?

Many thanks for any and all advice.

All the best

Badger
 
Hiya GTBadger & WELCOME to the GTP Forums!!! 👍

GTBadger
(With hopes that these are not questions too often repeated previously, I might have missed them in my brief scanning of the FAQ’s)

1/ I can’t seem to find the option to “qualify” and as such I start each race at the back of the rolling pack.
Unfortunately PD hasn't seen fit to allow qualifying "Overall" this time. It's an option available ONLY in "Series" Races in GT4! :grumpy:

GTBadger
2/ In the various showrooms, many of the cars shown have dashes instead of prices. Does this mean that they can only be “won” rather then bought?
The "Dashes" indicate that those cars can ONLY be "Won"...NOT "Purchased."

GTBadger
3/ The screenshots on the pack of the case show a vintage car (1940’s?) but where are these cars within the game? (Thought it might be fun to have an “Arcade” bash with these fellas but couldn’t see how to do it.)
I'm not familiar w/that screenshot but I'm thinking you "Might" be referring to the Model T Ford ( which was already about 20 years old by the Forties!) :eek:

GTBadger
4/ I notice that mileage is a factor when buying a second hand car. Will the price of my Supra go down as I put more miles on the clock?
The "price" won't go down but the resale "value" of it drops about 75% when you buy it!!! I'm not aware of the value dropping any more as you add miles (or KM)...O.G.
old.gif
 
Lo, Badger! & welcome to gtp.

About your questions:

1.) There is no qualify option for races (save for championships...)

2.) The dashes for the car prices mean that they need to be won.

3.) You can purchase those types of cars in the used car show rooms (I forget the name,) as well as winning them in certain events.

4.) There's no true car value/mileage factor yet established in the GT series.


I hope this info is of use to you.

And for future reference, use the search button for common questions like yours.

Again, welcome and good luck!
 
Yes, the AI makes mistakes, but always in the same places.

Yes, the feeling of speed is increased. Doing the "classic" LeMans circuit at a home theater (with tire rumble, 5.1 sound, and vibration/feedback) in an LMP is so scary, it's hard to keep your hands steady. I love it.

Yes, cars DO GO DOWN IN SALE VALUE THE MORE YOU USE THEM. If you buy a brand new car, it's worth a bit more (to sell) than after you've put over a thousand miles on it. I don't know the exact formula, but it seems like the trade-in value goes down around 10% once the car's been broken in. The correct conversions are somewhere else on this site.
 
Your questions have all been answered, but I thought I'd wish you a welcome to GTPlanet. :)

It's good to see an intelligent poster joining the team (hopefully). Lord knows we can use more of them.

I encourage you to stick around, as this site will help you a lot through your GT4 career. it can direct you towards kick-ass cars, cars that are good A-Spec earners, and cars that are all around crap. There's plenty of competitions going on all the time to keep you busy, and the entire board covers much more than just GT4.

Hope to see you as a regular member, and welcome aboard. :)

*EDIT* - 1000th post. w00t!​
 
I might just add that the qualifying sessions are called "Practice" in GT4. In case you will wonder where "Qualify" is...

And welcome to GTP, of course!
 
It's also possible the 1940's looking vehicle you're seeking is the Jay Leno Tank Car.
It can be found in the American Manufacturers.
It can only be won not purchased, although it's useless for racing in since it can't be entered in any events due to limitations in the PS2 rendering an open top car and 5 other AI cars at once.

The other possibility that springs to mind is the Caterham Fireblade, which is based on a 1940 - 1950-ish Lotus 7. (don't know exactly when they came out, one of the Lotus gurus around here can correct me if I'm wrong!)
It can be found in the British Manufacturers.
You can purchase it, but beware, before you waste your money, it can't be raced against a full AI field for the same reasons mentioned above. I've seen it mentioned that it can be entered for some of the rally events, but I'm not sure.

Both seem like fun cars to race around in in time-trial arcade mode though.
 
Welcome to GTP Badger, have a good look around as you are sure to find a lot to help you out.

The search engine and FAQ's should help a lot, and the following link may help once you get into seting up your cars.

GT4 Suspension & Brake Tuning Guide

Have Fun

Regards

Scaff :)

BTW @ Smallhorses The Lotus Seven was launched in 1957, so nothing wrong with 40's to 50's 👍
 
Just to clarify, a price of "--" means that the car can only be aquired as a prize car or in the used car lots, or maybe both.
 
To add, if you want to get ahead real fast early in the game (and later on as well), pick yourself up an HPA Golf R32, which can be found in "tuner village" under "HPA Motorsports". $33,000, AWD and 550BHP isn't a bad thing. Stay away from the Caterham Fireblade (unless you want to be like me, who knew how fast it is in real life and plunk $150,000 into only to not be able to drive it) and any other purchasable convertibles early in the game should be fine (only other one I can think of that is unraceble is the Chysler Prowler, so otherwise your safe). Try also to stay away from any NSX's early in the game (let's say till you get to 25%). They cost über money and don't go that fast for the money. A "new" Camaro SS ($22,000, 330 BHP) or used TVR Griffith 500 ($24,471 319 BHP), Lotus Carlton ($28,521, 376 BHP) or Grand Sport ($22,950 330 BHP) should help you get through the races the HPA can't enter if your Supra can't win, so otherwise, have fun.
 
Would you happen to be a Wisconsinite, GTBadger? :sly:
 
Many thanks for all the speedy replies, welcomes, hints and tips.

With pedal pressed firmly to the metal, my Supra has already burned its way to first place in all the races it can enter in the “Beginners Events”. But it didn’t qualify for many there and as I don’t want to dip my paws in any of the more advanced races yet, (I’d like to complete one section at a time if possible) I’ll have to dip into my remaining funds and try to find a model which allows me to continue.

Having got used to GT3’s large beginners section where everything was bundled together, GT4’s Japanese meal policy (small portions but lots of courses) seems quite different and initially a little overwhelming as there are many events I can enter at this stage….. but first I have to find them.

Latest victory is the “FR Challenge” and I was hoping for a nippy little prize which would enable me to carry onto another class. I was racing against some nice looking chariots for sure. (Including that “ Mercedes Kompact” (sp?) which I’ll definitely have to consider buying in real life if I ever win the lottery.)

But in the end my victory spoils amounted to one Nissan Skyline from the late 1960s. An ugly beast certainly although I’m sure it’s mother loves it. Now if I can only find an event in which to race it.

I was interested to see “smallhorses” comments as to the limitations of the PS2 re being unable to deal with an open top model rendered at the same time as five AI non open top models. Does this apply only to vintage models? Because I’m wondering about more modern cars like a “Cobra” for example. Or do they cheat by showing these fellas as “open top” in the dealers, but then putting a canvas roof on when they actually race.

Oh, and spare me a few moments to grieve for my lost illusions regarding the AI now being capable of making mistakes. Blown out of the water by “niky” before they were even old enough to wear long trousers! Oh the humanity. Next you’ll be telling me that Santa doesn’t exist niky.

Wolfe2x7
Would you happen to be a Wisconsinite, GTBadger? :sly:

Actually Wolfe, I write to you while rubbing my hands together through woollen fingerless mitts in a futile attempt to absorb some of the heat from the single candle burning atop my desk. But its solitary flame is little enough proof against the biting December cold, here in the north of England.

Thanks again for all the interesting replies.

All the best

Badger
 
GTBadger
... I was interested to see “smallhorses” comments as to the limitations of the PS2 re being unable to deal with an open top model rendered at the same time as five AI non open top models. Does this apply only to vintage models? Because I’m wondering about more modern cars like a “Cobra” for example. Or do they cheat by showing these fellas as “open top” in the dealers, but then putting a canvas roof on when they actually race. ...
There won't be any open-top cars in a race unfortunately - vintage or otherwise.

They're open in the dealer and covered up for the race. :(

Although if you race the car singularly, such as a Free Run or a Photo Drive, you will get to see the open cockpit in all it's glory. When you see the detail PD have gone into with both the interior and the driver, you begin to understand why the PS2 can't model six of them at once. At least we get to see it somewhere. :)
 
ferrari_chris
There won't be any open-top cars in a race unfortunately - vintage or otherwise.

They're open in the dealer and covered up for the race. :(

Although if you race the car singularly, such as a Free Run or a Photo Drive, you will get to see the open cockpit in all it's glory. When you see the detail PD have gone into with both the interior and the driver, you begin to understand why the PS2 can't model six of them at once. At least we get to see it somewhere. :)

Perhaps on the PS3.....
 
X-Othermic
Perhaps on the PS3.....

Ah maybe.... but I am gagging to play the latest "Morrowind" and also "X3".

So as my aged pc is just not up to the task of handling the newest games anymore and since I have finally reconciled myself to the fact that I’m not going to be able to afford the constant battle to upgrade the bugger any more, I was figuring that an X-Box 360 might well be the way forward.

I realise of course that I’m risking charges of heresy by saying such blasphemous things on these pages, but although I realise that I’ll probably end up playing a cut down version by moving to console, I just don’t see any other way forward now if I want to play the latest games.

I’m not sure that the titles I’ve mentioned will go to PS3 and I specifically want to play them. So I figured that the tie in between the 360 & Microsoft & the PC, might with any luck mean that more of the kind of titles I want to play will be ported across.

Not that Santa is likely to be popping a 360 under my tree any time soon. In fact I heard that while trying to buy some in the UK, (which has been chronically undersupplied) he and two of his reindeer were crushed underfoot by stampeding parents eager to secure the system for their little darlings.

As for me? Well the birthday’s in May and hopefully by then the impending arrival of the PS3 will mean that Microsoft have to sweeten the package a little to keep people interested. Then your Badger shall strike! Bwa Ha Haaaaaa.. etc etc.

Oops! This post contains no reference to GT4 at all and so probably doesn’t belong… hold on…. GT4! Shiny Wheels! ERM…. MUFFLERS!!! There.. that’s better.

Badger
 
Hi Badger, and once again welcome to GTPlanet! Love your writing style, had me smiling all through the thread...

Just to add you'll find loads of useful stuff round here, for example, Famine's used car cycle list will tell you which used cars will appear when (many of the older ones will show price as cr.-.-), there are prize car lists, pitstop strategy guides (Smallhorses is an expert in this area, but just DON'T MENTION B-SPEC), and all sorts of other stuff to keep you amused.

See you round,

Ed
 
Just so's the record is straight, the resale value of your car DOES deteriorate with mileage. It may hit a point where it stops deteriorating (perhaps at the same time as engine power degradation, which is 8500 miles if I remember correctly) but it certainly goes down.

Case in point is my Minolta Toyota 88CV. When you win one you can sell it with 0 miles for around 748000 credits, but the resale value on my high mileage example is below 700000 credits now. I also bet that if I compared my two Lotus Elans, I would see that I would get more money selling the one that has 20 miles on the clock than I would get for the one that has 2100 miles on the clock.
 
Back