Banning of G27

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tomwheeler87
  • 18 comments
  • 2,485 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
1
Hi all

Ive just got back from my local computer supplier. I was talking to a guy who deals with both Logitech and Sony reps. He said there is talk of the G27 being banned from online racing in GT5.

He said it was to do with a clutch bypass, giving quicker shift times and therefore an unfair advantage. Apparently logitech have been threatened with fixing this or it will be banned.

I am in no way saying this is true, please don't shoot the messenger. I just wondered if anyone else had heard this as I am currently trying to decide between the G27 and the driving force GT. Don't want to spend upwards of £200 on a steering wheel I cant race online with.

Regards

Tom
 
There is a lenghty discussion about this here.
 
Besides the point, how could Logitech even alter the functionality on existing wheels? The onboard firmware cannot be altered or am I missing something here?
 
it sounds like rumor mongering to me.
 
That's absolutely ridiculous. Polyphony can change how the software deals with the input from the controller, not the other way around. This sounds like the UK version (HMV?) of know-it-alls at Best Buy trying to give you the "inside scoop" that they got from reading public message boards online.
 
G27 will never be banned from online racing. Won't happen.

Just how does it give you quicker shift times anyway??? I dont get it.....
 
Crazy stuff! Who is going to ban one of the most common wheels?
 
How could having to push a clutch in and move a traditional shifter be giving people faster shift times then just pressing the paddle shift button on a DFGT???

I have a DFGT and when you press the shift button it is INSTANT, I cant imagine how it would be any faster if you had to use a clutch and standard gear shifter like the one on the G27.

If anything I would think that it would be a disadvantage over using the Instant paddle shift option but of course, i have never used a G27 so i am just speculating.

(I think it would be absurd to ban it from online use of course)
 
No way this will happen. If it does, this GT fan will move onto IRacing or some other PC sim racer.
 
Just how does it give you quicker shift times anyway??? I dont get it.....

When shifting there is no loss of speed when used with the clutch.
Look at the accelerator display in the HUD, dead giveaway.
It does not seem as huge an advantage as before but it is an advantage none the less.

Somehow the DFGT on-the-fly TCS setting has been disabled since the last update.
I would be okay with this if it were only for this event but I can not use this function at all.
I have not tried every type of race but the ones I have the function is disabled.

I would like to see the clutch disabled for the GT Academy like the previous events, but it's obviously a flawed competition.
 
So you push the clutch and the game still registers acceleration.
I'm not near my PS but I don't remember this. Actually I remember holding the clutch on the daytona embankment and the car rolling backwards.

They will never ban this controller. To much backlash.
 
I really don't understand the argument, the clutch is far harder to use than paddles. It may result in faster times, but isn't that the point? Effort should equal reward.

On the cost front - not everyone can afford a steering wheel, so they should all be banned and everyone should use controllers.
 
Automatic does the same thing....lets ban that too!
 
I really don't understand the argument, the clutch is far harder to use than paddles. It may result in faster times, but isn't that the point? Effort should equal reward

Not in a simulation. Effort should equal a realistic result.

PS: not arguing in favor of any banning or any related argument, just saying that efford shouldn't necessarily equal a reward when that reward is not realistic in a simulation.
 
They're not going to ban it from regular playing, you won't get to use it in competitions (to level the playing field), but thinking it'll be banned and unsupported outright is a bit far fetched.
 
Crazy rumour. Lets hope this is all this is. If they want to bring out some sort of patch to fix the alledged problem then thats fine, but no point in getting rid of one of the best wheels out there for online racing. Crazy:crazy:
 
Where's the leaderboards for us to abuse then.
 
On the cost front - not everyone can afford a steering wheel, so they should all be banned and everyone should use controllers.

Erm... no. So what if other people can afford a wheel, it is like somebody who can afford a Fiesta and some a 458. Doesn't mean the cars like the 458 should be banned.
 
Closing this thread as there is a already a discussion going on- see post two.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back