Base Honda vs Eagle what is faster?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thatman
  • 49 comments
  • 2,326 views
Well lets see witch one has more chrome on it? Because you know that for every 10 square inches of chrome it adds an EXTRA 20HP!!!......LOL, But if a had to pick I would put my money on the Eagle because I don't like Honda :crazy:
 
To be fair, the only thing "economy" about the Talon is the engine. The rest of the car has more sporting intentions than the Civic.

Such as? All I can think of is the styling.

The other versions of the Talon were sporty, or at least somewhat so - the base DL model was there purely as a fuel economy boost.

Diablomonkey
But if a had to pick I would put my money on the Eagle because I don't like Honda

That's, um, a good reason.

👍
 
Damn. Tough crowd in here. C'mon, give the guy a break. There's no call to rag on the man's ride. I guess you all have 10 second Supras or something :rolleyes:

With the lower horsepower cars, power/weight and gearing will be the most crucial factors. Gearing can especially make a difference in .. say, a 10 mph roll-on. If someone digs up the gear ratios for each car, it would just take some simple arithmetic to calculate avg. torque to the wheels, which would give you a pretty good idea.

Unless the Talon is geared super-close, it looks like the Civic has a slight edge, based on the info that M5Power posted.


M
 
What year and what bodystyle?

'92-'98 models started at 2881 pounds, which was a GT coupe with the 4-cylinder. Add ~75 pounds for the 4-door, and ~200 pounds for the 6-cylinder.

For '99-'05 models, GT coupes started at just under 3300 pounds; sedans were only 50 pounds heavier.

Oh, sorry it’s the '01 model loaded. And the engine in the DL is 1.8 L, also thanks M-spec. But like I said, from what I had before; the lowest model Plymouth Voyager, it has a tad more pickup. And on the gear ratios at 5,800 rpm in first is somewhere around 23 mph and in second I get to about 40 and so on, I cant tell you too much about his gears because I only drove his car on 3 occasions and he doesn't have a tachometer.

And FYI the only chrome I have on my car is the shifter and his car doesn’t have chrome.
 
and he doesn't have a tachometer.
Someone please explain the figuring on this? You did say it was a 5-spd?

I had a friend with an old Civic that didn't have a tach, and then I test drove a new Yaris 5-spd in October that didn't have a tach. When I asked the dealer about it he said it doesn't make sense to him either, but it would come with the "sports" package.

It just seems to me that a manual transmission should always have a tach.


And Thatman, don't feel bad about your first rides there, man. My first car was an '85 Plymouth Horizon and then my second car was an '88 Buick Somerset. The takeoffs were horrible, especially if it was uphill, but once I got going I could get the speed up a bit. I have no clue how fast because the Horizon's speedo stopped at 85mph and the Buick's digital speedo just started flashing at 88mph :confused:

I am sure everyone here, once upon a time, had something small and unimpressive to start with. If not, then I give you permission to call them rich daddy's boys.
 
It just seems to me that a manual transmission should always have a tach.

Seems daft to me too, but the first 2 cars I drove (both manual) didn't have a tachometer.

I have no clue how fast because the Horizon's speedo stopped at 85mph and the Buick's digital speedo just started flashing at 88mph :confused:
Was the flashing a sign of imminent time travel?
 
Was the flashing a sign of imminent time travel?
I wish. I lacked a bit of nuclear fusion, though the heat through the floorboards might have produced enough energy if I could have harnessed it.

Honestly I have no clue why a digital speedo stopped at all. You could see where a 1 could be in the third digit space. I guess that's what you get when Buick borrows Pontiac design parts in an attempt at a sports car.

The craziness of that idea becomes apparent when you are at the dealer for service and realize you are the only person without gray (some had blue) hair in the waiting area.
 
You've got the wrong weight on the Talon. Your model, the Talon DL, only weighs about 2,500lbs - about 1150kg. His Civic weighs about 2,250lbs, or 1020kg. So the weight difference is minimal.

If it were 130kg difference in 2 tonnes, I'd agree, but it's 130kg difference in 1 tonne.

Assuming the same horsepower that's 90hp/tonne (77 wheel hp/tonne) compared to 80hp/tonne (68 wheel hp/tonne).

Of course it's still minimal enough to be overcome by gearing.
 
I think you guys shouldn't be so harsh on the guy. it sounds like he is just trying to have some fun!
 
Honestly I have no clue why a digital speedo stopped at all. You could see where a 1 could be in the third digit space.
That's nothing. If you hit redline and while traveling at 3-digit speeds on the first C4 Corvettes with digital dashes, the display would crash and go all green, leaving you completely in the dark about how fast you were going or what revs you were turning.
 
That's nothing. If you hit redline and while traveling at 3-digit speeds on the first C4 Corvettes with digital dashes, the display would crash and go all green, leaving you completely in the dark about how fast you were going or what revs you were turning.
Ah, that GM quality.
👍
gm.gif
 
I am sure everyone here, once upon a time, had something small and unimpressive to start with.

Weep with jealousy, gentlemen... I was ballin' wit dis whip, yo. Pimpin it 'Brougham' style...

attachment.php



M
 

Attachments

  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
Such as? All I can think of is the styling.

The other versions of the Talon were sporty, or at least somewhat so - the base DL model was there purely as a fuel economy boost.

Yes, the styling and body dimensions are most of it, although I would be willing to bet, despite Honda's reputation for building fun-to-drive machines, that the suspension is noticably stiffer on the Eagle.

It just seems to me that a manual transmission should always have a tach.

Heh. I've seen photos of manual-transmission Volkswagens that have an analog clock instead of a tachometer.

I am sure everyone here, once upon a time, had something small and unimpressive to start with.

...and most people are proud of their first car, no matter how "crappy" it is or how often it breaks down. I've heard from a few people that no matter how many cars you own throughout your life, your very first one is the one you'll remember most fondly.
 
Ah thanks Wolfe, But anyhow, yeah he doesn't have a tach, I think I scared him a tad bit when I reved it a little high :)

So anything on the '01 Grand Am GT?
 


Of course it's still minimal enough to be overcome by gearing.
Indeed - and worth noting, since it's significantly different from what he said in the opening post.

Wolfe
despite Honda's reputation for building fun-to-drive machines, that the suspension is noticably stiffer on the Eagle.

Compared to a 15-year-old base model Civic?! The suspension would be stiffer on a minivan!

Thatman
So anything on the '01 Grand Am GT?

Check out post 29. ;)
 
Compared to a 15-year-old base model Civic?! The suspension would be stiffer on a minivan!
That is a fairly ignorant statement.
 
Oh yeah theres the GT weight, whoops, I just read that too fast, thanks.

Well , now heres another easy matchup for everyone.
My other freinds '96 Honda Accord base model 4 dr and Automatic....
I'm really thinking he would get me here. And we might try this sometime but we cant really right now since we just got some 7 inches of snow recently.
 
That is a fairly ignorant statement.

EDIT

A friend of mine had a '92 Civic which drove so horribly I felt something die inside everytime I touched it. A '90 must be way worse.

Thatman
My other freinds '96 Honda Accord base model 4 dr and Automatic....

In high school, a friend of mine had a '95 automatic Accord sedan. For the record, the specs on that model are:

- 145hp 2.2-liter 4-cylinder
- 9.5sec 0-60; 17.4sec @ 81.3mph 1/4 mile
- ~3075 pounds
 
Heh. I've seen photos of manual-transmission Volkswagens that have an analog clock instead of a tachometer.
I've seen that too, but I don't remember if it was a VW. My mom owned an old Beetle when I was real young, it could have been that.

Still, manuals lacking tachometers blow me away.

...and most people are proud of their first car, no matter how "crappy" it is or how often it breaks down. I've heard from a few people that no matter how many cars you own throughout your life, your very first one is the one you'll remember most fondly.
You never forget your first. My Horizon was named Old Blue and he remained faithful until the day he rolled over (rain+bad brakes=accident). To this day I remember every dent and scratch.

My mom was quick to point out that when I was able to choose and purchase my own car for the first time I went right back to a hatch. What can I say, the style holds a special place in my heart.

A friend of mine had a '92 Civic so horribly I felt something die inside everytime I touched it. A '90 must be way worse.
An old car or a poor performing car never bother me, if they are kept in good condition. Although, a six-foot tall guy in a Yaris is funny to see. But, if a person owns a car and cares for the car it will last a long time.

I don't care of you have an underpowered, over-the-hill automobile, just as long as you care for it. They will love you as much as you love them. Just ask my wife how much better her '97 Corolla runs since we got married and I made her do all the proper maintenance.
 
EDIT: Ignore...way more pages than I first thought.
 
Back