Bass HelpMusic 

Messages
3,008
Messages
You're crazy if you think
Messages
I can afford either of these.
Hey GTP, it's time for me to rack your brains. My birthday's coming up, and my dad threw out the option of getting one big present instead of a bunch of smaller ones, and mentioned an Electric Guitar. Well, I prefer Bass, and I told him that. He said "That works too."

So now for my question: What's a good middle of the line Bass/Amp combo? I don't want a really cheap one, for fear of bad quality like my 40+ year old cheapo acoustic. But I also don't want them to possibly spend top dollar, because, let's face it, that's extremely selfish. Also, are Yamaha/Ibanez/Epiphone any good?
 
I have a Yamaha RBX270 bass at the moment, its my second bass after a Peavey Zodiac beginner bass. Yamaha cost £200 and I have never had an issue with it, sounds fantastic, has a jazz and precision style pickup looks nice, very nice neck, overall highly recommended. Amp wise I have only used a Roland Cube 30, very versatile and gives out quite a punch. Another £200 for that amp.
 
Thanks for the quick reply 👍

Would I need a specific "Bass" amp or does just any ole' amp work?
 
You can use any amp, but I wouldn't advise using a guitar amp as you'll get less than optimal output and it'll be easily damaged as it's not suited to handle the tones a bass produces, thus obviously ideally you'll want a bass amp.
As for a bass, take a look at the Epiphone range if you're comfortable with their price range as I've enjoyed any bass models I've played from them both electric and acoustic-electric, I find the price tags more than reasonable for their build quality and tone.
 
Ibanez's are good sir. Also make sure you get a bass amp instead of a guitar amp. It's a good idea. Ibanez has starter packs too.
 
What about Squier's by Fender?
 
I have a Soundgear by Ibanez SR300 and a 50W Crate Bass Amp (a cheap one). Works well for what I like to do, although I'm not great. I got it a while ago for Xmas. I would recommend something like that if you have never played before.

Other than that you might want to shoot Pako a PM since he is the resident basshead.
 
I've played before. Fell in love with it during my freshman year, couldn't play it all sophomore year due to being a different school, and this year there wasn't an available guitar class. Still not too good though. Or maybe I am, but I really don't think so.

I was checking out Guitar Center's website and saw the Squire which made me ask. It was $279, but a different color (that I liked) was only $199
 
Back