Bass problem :(Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter xcsti
  • 14 comments
  • 724 views
Messages
2,415
I was changing the strings on my bass today and realized the piece on the neck that holds the strings inplace had shifted. On further inpection I found the one of the pieces that holds that piece had comletely snapped off. I took a picture as I'm not great at describing what happened.



What exactly should I do? I can get the strings on but I'm afraid of bringing them to full tightness as the small piece starts to shift and its obvious the piece on the otherside is strained also. Is there someway I can replace this piece myself? Will I have to take it into a shop and how much would that cost? The piece is made of plastic so it doesn't look like it would be that expensive.
 
hit quote instead of edit....

but I was going to add that my fretboard looks reaaly dry.
 
So there is a piece that goes on top of that part where the tab broke off?

Edit: I think it get it now. I'd take it to a shop to get it replaced. The nut (the thing that holds the strings in place) is rather important. If it's not fixed properly, you'll have tons of problems with tuning and intonation.
 
kylehnat
So there is a piece that goes on top of that part where the tab broke off?

Edit: I think it get it now. I'd take it to a shop to get it replaced. The nut (the thing that holds the strings in place) is rather important. If it's not fixed properly, you'll have tons of problems with tuning and intonation.

Yes there is a piece that lays on top, I took it off for the picture because it lies level with the tabs so its hard to see that one is missing. Hmm now I have to find a shop near me.
 
Yeah, I can picture it now. Get it replaced by someone who knows how.
 
xcsti
What exactly should I do? I can get the strings on but I'm afraid of bringing them to full tightness as the small piece starts to shift and its obvious the piece on the otherside is strained also. Is there someway I can replace this piece myself? Will I have to take it into a shop and how much would that cost? The piece is made of plastic so it doesn't look like it would be that expensive.
The nut itself is an inexpensive piece of corian/plastic. However, setting up a nut on your bass will cost you a few beans, as it’s best left to a guitar tech. $20 USD should cover it.

As for the fretboard, I tend to use lemon oil to refresh and clean the rosewood. If you want to save some money, raw linseed/flax oil will do the trick.

Best of luck with it.
 
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to have a to make a few calls tomorrow.
 
On my bass one the nut messed up too. I just popped the other one out and glued the new one in, but it's probably better to have a pro do it.
 
I havn't had a problem like this on my bass, replace the nut, or go to a music shop.
 
Have you still got the strings on? If you haven't, you better replace it soon or the neck will warp.
 
GTRacer4
Have you still got the strings on? If you haven't, you better replace it soon or the neck will warp.

I have the e string on and tightened, I put the g string on just to keep the nut on.

There is a warwick dealer near my house and they'll do the repairs but the guy told me that I have to wait until their order of four string nuts comes in. He said it will cost $30 to do.

Will the neck really warp that quickly?
 
xcsti
Will the neck really warp that quickly?

I know that it hardly matters much for guitars, as long as it isn't long-term.

But for bass, I would assume you want to keep them on as bass strings have higher tension.
 
GTRacer4
Have you still got the strings on? If you haven't, you better replace it soon or the neck will warp.
Really? I thought the nut just acted as an open fret.

Ie: the string vibrates between the bridge and where you've fretted. So when you play an open string, it vibrates between the nut and the bridge. Without the nut, it'd vibrate between the tuning post and the bridge and throw the whole scale out, no?
 
PHP:
Shannon
Really? I thought the nut just acted as an open fret.

Ie: the string vibrates between the bridge and where you've fretted. So when you play an open string, it vibrates between the nut and the bridge. Without the nut, it'd vibrate between the tuning post and the bridge and throw the whole scale out, no?

Yeah, but I believe the point of the quote there is that without the strings on, the tension that counters the truss rod isn't there, so it will warp.
 
kennythebomb
PHP:

Yeah, but I believe the point of the quote there is that without the strings on, the tension that counters the truss rod isn't there, so it will warp.
Oooooh. I thought he meant that the nut holding the strings somehow magically helped the neck not warp, as opposed to having the strings on with no nut. :dunce:
 
Back