Bass Shaker(s) amp advice needed

• Thread starter VTS_tibi
  • 16 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am planning to install bass shakers to my setup, which will be pretty basic (simple folding chair + Wheel Stand Pro + G25)

I would like to mount a bass shaker directly under the seat and one under the pedal area.

I read a couple of threads on here, and here is the amp which I found ideal:

Lepai LP-2020A+

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=LP-2020A+&_sop=15

Now the problem is, I do not really know if this amp would be enough to drive the two bass shakers (
Sinus Live Bass-Pump III Bass Shaker 4 Ohm - from Conrad)

Any advice on this?

Additionally, would mounting two shakers under the seat and running them in stereo is a good idea considering it really is just a small single chair?

Many thanks.

Tibi

First how are you going to use the shakers? With PC and simvibe or in subwoofer mode?
That amp has no high frequency filter.

I will use a PC to drive them, and I will consider simvibe in the future.

Is it possible to filter out the high frequency with the PC?

Hi VTS

No, that amp will be a waste of money. I have two of the following amps from Conrad each of which can power two Sinus Live bass pump 3's or Aura Pro bass shakers.

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...er-module-80-W/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=1

I also have one of these amps from Conrad which can power 4 Sinus Live bass pumps.

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/...plifier-module/?ref=detview1&rt=detview1&rb=1

The Sinus Live bass pumps work in the range 20Hz to 100Hz and both the above amps have the appropriate filter circuitry to enable you to take a full range signal and cut the unwanted frequencies - without this your shaker turns into a horrid distorted loudspeaker creating very poor quality audible sound. The low pass filter on these amps is actually very good - much better than my Gale subwoofer amp.

Hi VTS - just read your post again and noticed the other questions. My advice is to start with a mono system and check how much you like the effect. A lot of people say a mono system feels like stereo because of the way the shaking interacts with your visual senses. Plus if you use my suggested amps you will need two of them which becomes expensive.

Getting a true stereo tactile effect can be difficult because of the need to isolate the shaker mounting points fully from each other - I had mine rubber mounted at one end to facilitate this, but recently stripped my system to start again (it was supposed to be ready for GT6) because I wasn't fully satisfied.

I have a wheelstand pro (with T500RS) and have experimented with tactile on the pedals, but haven't yet got a successful mounting. The problem is that the pedals need to be rubber isolated from the wheelstand otherwise you get unwanted shaking of the wheel and centre post together with movement of the pedals on the stand leading quickly to metal against metal contact and horrid sounds. I have drilled my wheelstand pro to enable fitting of an isolated pedal plate to which the pedals will be secured. The pedal plate will be isolated with automotive bobbins and rubber isolators.

It may take much experimentation before you get a tactile effect that you are happy with - I have been experimenting for about two years on and off - at the moment I'm focussing on my shifter mount before trying again with the seat and pedals.

If you want a good effect with minimal effort I suggest fitting both shakers under your seat and connecting in series to the 80W amp module in my link (it will provide 50W RMS at 8 ohms which would match two shakers wired in series).

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. As I do not really have time to experiment with mounting under the pedal I think I will postpone this to a later date, and from what you wrote I might just settle down with one single shaker under the chair.

The thing I like about that Lepai amp is it's size. I would like to have something smallish to power the shaker (s).

So for two shakers connected in series I have to look for an amp. with 50W RMS rating at 8 Ohms.

For one single shaker I need an amp with 50W RMS rating at 4 Ohms. Is this right?

Regarding the sound card in the PC, would I need a separate card, or would the motherboard's 7.1 output be sufficient? Now only one channel is used, for the speakers.

The Lepai amp is only 20W RMS and your shakers are 50W RMS - it is not powerful enough. A bass shaker is a silent subwoofer - a low frequency loudspeaker that doesn't produce sound - the best amps to use are ones designed to power subwoofers - these are designed to produce their rated power at low frequencies.

An alternative to a subwoofer amp is a PA amp such as the Behringer I Nuke DSP 1000 which has built in EQ and is recommended by Carson79 from this forum (this is a higher end option and both more expensive and powerful).

The amp I have suggested will power either one shaker or two and will give a good result and be reliable.

If you are using a mono tactile system you can use the .1 (LFE) channel from your sound card - if it is currently going to an audible subwoofer you will need to split it.

/\/\

From my brief exploration of it, no. Because you still need to buy a power supply to be able to power those things. And once you add that expense in, you've got plenty of other options to choose from.

You need a lot of power. I have two Auro Pro Bass Shakers on my rig, I use two separate 70 watt Dayton low frequency amplifiers to drive each of them. The amplifiers run hot and will occasionally shut down from being over driven. GT6 has added more low frequency sound and have upped the stress on the setup. I using a cooling fan on the amps. If I had it to do over I would use larger amps.

You need a lot of power. I have two Auro Pro Bass Shakers on my rig, I use two separate 70 watt Dayton low frequency amplifiers to drive each of them. The amplifiers run hot and will occasionally shut down from being over driven. GT6 has added more low frequency sound and have upped the stress on the setup. I using a cooling fan on the amps. If I had it to do over I would use larger amps.

I've got the an Aura Pro shaker hooked up to a 100 watt version of the Dayton amp and let me tell you, you can easily WAY overdrive those shakers. it's very enlightening to have the amp hooked up to a kill-a-watt meter. Because it lets you know exactly what you're outputting to the shaker. I'm not taking about cranking things to one hundred either. If I put on a 40hz audio file I have to keep the gain really low. I can be outputting 88 watts to the shaker without even getting obvious distortion. So I've turned things way down to keep the output under 50 watts on the shaker.

Hi, i also just bought two shaker (bass pump III) for my playseat...

Unfortunatly also for me is hard to find dedicated pieces in Italy (Aura and Dayton are US brand and expensive in EU).

I agree with the other post, you need a dedicated amp with crossover, and car amplify is not suitable for domestic application! Just immagine how much Ampere you need for supply 100w at 15/24V.... You probably burn the cable at 70/75 amps.

How ever i also choose after some test to have two bass shaker i mono, one for the seat and one for the pedal. Now i'm using a normal amplifier for home 5.1 but i'm looking on amazon.de an amplifier with crossover like dayton (mivoc or buddytech)

The problem is that the output of the amplifier is mono at 4ohm and if you split in two channel you will have an impedance at 2ohm and amplifier is not stable at that impedance. I'm also looking for a calculation for how many power i need for connect two bass shaker 50w at 4ohm with an anplifier at 2ohm and lookin if it best connect the speakers in series and having 8o impedance (but how will be the power of the speakers after that?) or connect it in parallel and having 2 speaker at 2 ohm (same doubt regarding the power).

For the amplifier that plate have small dimension and not so expensive for try, but i just need to know if i need 80w amp or 150w amp and i it will be stable at 2 ohm.

The watts change by half with each step in ohms. So a 100w amp at 8ohm is 50w at 4 ohm and if it will run stable 25w at 2ohm.

The watts change by half with each step in ohms. So a 100w amp at 8ohm is 50w at 4 ohm and if it will run stable 25w at 2ohm.

Is the opposite, one amp that have 100w at 8 ohm, have 200w at 4 ohm and 400w at 2 ohm (obviously in theory... the components need to be stable)

Back