Battery plugged in but not charging

• Thread starter Jezza819
  • 5 comments
United States
Alabamistan
I have an older Dell Studio XPS Windows 7 laptop that I use only when I want to connect it to the tv to watch a race from a website or if I go on out of town. A few months ago I started getting a message at startup saying "this battery cannot be identified" or something like that. So I figured since the laptop was 9 years old a new battery would fix it.

It didn't. I got the new battery and I'm still getting that message. If I put the cursor over the battery icon it says "battery plugged in but not charging". I've read some possible fixes for it like updating the bios but the bios won't update unless the battery has a minimum of a 10% charge.

Any ideas?

^ 2nd-ing this one.

I've had to uninstall the Battery in Device Manager on a MS Surfacebook before. It's more likely the software that reads battery levels is running into problem than the battery being bad.

In my experience with Dell laptops, the "Plugged in, not charging" issue is usually because of one of two things: Charge port on the laptop itself or it can be the charger. Dell uses a data pin in the center of their charge cable, and it is somewhat fragile. Basically sends a coded message telling the laptop it is the correct charger and to allow battery charging. All 3 of my Dell laptops (2007, 2010, and 2015 models) have this "feature".

In my experience with Dell laptops, the "Plugged in, not charging" issue is usually because of one of two things: Charge port on the laptop itself or it can be the charger. Dell uses a data pin in the center of their charge cable, and it is somewhat fragile. Basically sends a coded message telling the laptop it is the correct charger and to allow battery charging. All 3 of my Dell laptops (2007, 2010, and 2015 models) have this "feature".

Before I take it to the repair shop I guess I need to break down and buy a new charger just to check that. I did see a Youtube video talking about the fragile pins and it was said that wrapping the cable around and around the charger didn't help much because it puts stress on the cable end.

Back